Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:47 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

I guess its "THE RICH." Maybe Obama/Pelosi will institue a shrimp tax to get those lobster eaters to pay even more.

I figure after he tries to tax THE RICH plus control and modify behavior by taxing snacks and soda, cigarettes more, probably alcohol more, plus add a tax to gasoline so you can't even afford food to buy because stores will have to raise prices to move that food, Fluffy will be looking pretty good and Red Lobster will be out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If you check on the Frugal Forum here as well as many other places where people discuss tight finanaces,, you will find that many many people spend a week on groceries what two meals at a Red Lobster cost.

So it can be considered 'expensive' .
Oh, I thought the measure of how expensive a restaurant is was compared to other restaurants, not compared to some made-up criteria that has nothing to do with how expensive restaurants are. And seeing how "expensive" restaurants like Red Lobster are a dime a dozen, by an objective measure it is not expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Since so many of you that consider it cheap also disparage it, can we assume those without budget problems don't go there and that the bulk of patrons must be those that consider it pricey?

That would leave the OPs question.
Flawed premises lead to flawed conclusions.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 PM

218 posts, read 755,628 times
all the mid-range chain restaurants near me are insanely packed like Chillis, TGI, and Red Lobster. The parking lots are always jammed packed in the strip mall complexes. Guess people are splurging on these instead of going away or going to the real fancy places they were going to a few years ago. And lobster is kind of "cheap" at red lobster compared to a privately owned or fancy restaurant. People figure they are getting a buy and pack the place. Lobster is lobster perhaps! Golden Corral and other buffet places I see lines out the doors like I used to see every night at Outback steakhouse.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
We were in Ocean City the last week of June. The restaurants at all levels were packed. Our hotel, which typically charges $450/night, ran a special through the end of June until July 3 at $169/night. I don't know if our being there 3 nights at convention rate (a bit less than full rate) had anything to do with it. We stayed 2 days past the end of what I was there for, but we do that anyway. This is for an efficiency suite.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
i actually went to RL this past monday

it's a new one that just opened - pretty good crowd for a monday and a real nice atmosphere with it still be new

had tremendous service

the food was pretty solid ...... i'm trying to eat a little bit better so I just had some fish, broccoli and a salad (part of the reason we went there) and my wife had the traditional RL style meal

we didn't drink booze, but got out for under $50 with tax and tip

the problem I have with RL is that they don't do much that I can't just do at home for a lower cost so I generally don't go there much, but the wife was hankering to go out

Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Nature Guy,

You are assuming we are all headed in the same direction. You for one see the Red Lobster as an upscale place that is a step up from the norm. For others it as a step down and would be economizing. It is all in where you stand in the economy. As many have stated some look at Red Lobster as a mildly upscale place. Others just don't see a chain eatery as upscale. For me I like the place. But I have been to other places that I like even more. But then I am scaling back and economizing.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Red Lobster is good and still not as expensive as a lot of other seafood restaurants.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:18 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
I'm actually surprised to read that Red Lobster is doing well. I'd never have guessed it based on the dearth of cars in the parking lot of our local RL.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm actually surprised to read that Red Lobster is doing well. I'd never have guessed it based on the dearth of cars in the parking lot of our local RL.
They are always full here - and just about everywhere I have seen one.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:00 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
are you seriously trying to use RL as an economic survey?!

what about places like el paso bbq that have closed their doors? chains that have pulled out of areas (think fazolis)

if you seriously wanted to look at a firm as an economic driver, look at mcdonalds ...... they do very well in bad economic times and are doing well now

however, i would step away from the restaurants and look at actual real economic indicators
Come on now, haven't you heard of the Red Lobster Index?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates