Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I fear that something bad will happen to my kids. I think I could deal with everything else, but if something really bad happened to my kids I'd lose it.
This is very interesting. A century ago, the average family in the US lost at least one child. I don't mean stillborn---I mean a growing, prospering, flourishing child just died. Guess what? People didn't "lose it". They coped with it and got on with their lives. You wouldn't "lose it" either.

You've replaced expectation of tragedy with fear of tragedy. But is it any more comforting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
People found out that fear sells, and more and more people use it to push their agenda. Now pretty much everyone uses it, though I am still waiting for it to be used to sell childrens toys (buy Barbies or Ken will go around collecting heads).

Plus people tend to have less huge worries and concerns then in the past, the world is safer and easier then anytime in history...but the mind needs something to work over, like resistance training for the mind. If things are too good for too long I swear people make their own controversy or problems.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
When you consider the amount of TV we watch today, and the content therein, it's no wonder the average American is responding to the massive spread of crime......On TV. In an average week, I'd bet that we are potentially exposed to hundreds of crimes on our TV's, I'd also bet that a lot of people are sub consciously responding to these TV crimes as though they really happened to them or their neighbors. Be afraid.

The lifetime channel used to advertise quite heavily with scenes from the upcoming shows, most of the ads I saw depicted Women running from Men, and the Men were always trying to kill the Women, does this sound entertaining to anyone? How about the around the clock coverage of 9-11, and the resulting media fear frenzy? Yes, you too can be exposed to anthrax, mad bomber Muslims, Mexicans storming the borders and grabbing your job, Obama, McCain, and the media circus surrounding our National election. Terror? I think the Media is a form of terrorism. Be afraid.

There are other aspects of TV that I know are detrimental to the formation of young minds. The old saying, "it takes time to ruin a civilization, but time is all it takes", is so true in our case, in just a short thirty years we can see a different culture forming, and fear is just one component of this new social paradigm, we fear what we aren't familiar with, and who wants to be too familiar with the truth of a society of self indulgent followers. Political and theological differences have left their mark on America, so that is just one more nail in our collective coffin. Turn off the tube and the radio, and see how much better the world can be when you're not afraid, because the message is...........Be afraid, be very afraid.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:29 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
i guess one of my biggest fears is what we are doing to this planet!!!>> and whats going to be reprercussions..i feel sorrry for the children there the ones that are going to have to live on a stripped overpopulated planet.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
I think many people sense they are living an unsustainable existence and fear the inevitable fall. They will do anything to keep what they have, despite the mounting negative pressure. Thats why we have so many disaster and end of the world movies comming out lately. It's a reflection of our fatalistic collective conciousness.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Sounds just like the 1970s. We lived with recession, long gas lines, the fear of global cooling and widespread famine. There were a lot of disaster films made that decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I think many people sense they are living an unsustainable existence and fear the inevitable fall. They will do anything to keep what they have, despite the mounting negative pressure. Thats why we have so many disaster and end of the world movies comming out lately. It's a reflection of our fatalistic collective conciousness.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
cowardice is bred in the good life.
they do not know pain and humiliation--- the WWII people do.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i guess one of my biggest fears is what we are doing to this planet!!!>> and whats going to be reprercussions..i feel sorrry for the children there the ones that are going to have to live on a stripped overpopulated planet.
Agree. It is very disturbing what humans are doing to our planet. And there are too many of them too.

In regards to daily life, I don't consider myself a fearful person. I basically try to live using commonsense.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What is everybody so afraid of, and why?

When I was growing up, my parents had plenty of things to be afraid of.
Fear of polio was palpable. Cars had no seat belts or air bags, and drum brakes and bias ply tires and all roads were 2-lane and there were pointy things sticking of the dashboard. Faulty furnaces set houses on fire. Blizzards could not be predicted. School sports had cardboard football pads and no batting helmets. Nut houses were minimum security, with goofy people wandering away. Every boy carried a jackknife to school.

The average number of children per year who were abducted by strangers and harmed was less than 100. But it still is. So what are you afraid of?

There was no unemployment insurance, no health insurance. People went bare. No sick pay. Food basicly uninspected, smell it first. No antibiotics. No birth control. no abortions. When your parents get old, you put them in a back room and take care of them and keep them comfortable. at your expense.

So, what are you so afraid of?
Did your parents lock the house door at night?

Did they ever leave the car keys in overnight and not worry that the car would be there in the morning?

Did they have to hit the floor of the front porch late in the evening while they were sitting there because of a drive by.

There's many more but I will just leave it at that...

Old 08-06-2009, 03:36 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This is very interesting. A century ago, the average family in the US lost at least one child. I don't mean stillborn---I mean a growing, prospering, flourishing child just died. Guess what? People didn't "lose it". They coped with it and got on with their lives. You wouldn't "lose it" either.

You've replaced expectation of tragedy with fear of tragedy. But is it any more comforting?
We almost lost a child to a violent crime......Trust me you NEVER get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates