Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:29 PM

306 posts, read 476,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What is everybody so afraid of, and why?

When I was growing up, my parents had plenty of things to be afraid of.
Fear of polio was palpable. Cars had no seat belts or air bags, and drum brakes and bias ply tires and all roads were 2-lane and there were pointy things sticking of the dashboard. Faulty furnaces set houses on fire. Blizzards could not be predicted. School sports had cardboard football pads and no batting helmets. Nut houses were minimum security, with goofy people wandering away. Every boy carried a jackknife to school.

The average number of children per year who were abducted by strangers and harmed was less than 100. But it still is. So what are you afraid of?

There was no unemployment insurance, no health insurance. People went bare. No sick pay. Food basicly uninspected, smell it first. No antibiotics. No birth control. no abortions. When your parents get old, you put them in a back room and take care of them and keep them comfortable. at your expense.

So, what are you so afraid of?
Television, Mass Media, Fashion, the Government all make us either insecure of just plain afraid. Or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 05:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Except snakes. I forgot snakes.
Don't worry. My wife has been bitten by a poisonous snake and by a shark. She's rather proud of that CV. It's not so bad. Like me, she also refuses to fear.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:47 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Fear can be a good thing, because it helps keep you safe. Terror is a completely different beast.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Default Why are people so terrified?

In some ways, Americans are not worried or fearful enough... most haven't saved for their retirement years and instead have racked up tens of thousands of dollars in debt buying material goods that are completely frivolous.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
No, Yes, and No. But it's 2009 and my answers are the same right now. I never lock myself in the house any time of day, and I usually don't lock it when I go out. My car keys are out there in the cupholder right now. And I have never known a person who has lived on a street where there was ever a drive by.
Sadly crime will visit your neighborhood sooner or later.

It used to be much the same here, never had to look for the car keys, they were in the ignition. Never locked the house, home or away.

I remember one year we couldn't find a house key to lock the house when going on a two week vacation. So we left it unlocked and nothing happened in the two weeks we were gone.

But the gangs, illegal immigrants, the economy, the deterioration of our society, the belief that no one is responsible for their own actions, etc. has change that. No place is an island and to different degrees, everyplace will suffer the ills of our deteriorating society.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:07 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
It applies to everyone who made the choice to live in a safe neighborhood. Why didn't you?
The neighborhood was and for the most part still safe other than the police in my neighbors backyard one day in case the neighbor next to them tried to go out the back door.

Or a couple of months ago when 10 cop cars were at another new neighbors house..

Or the car set on fire three houses down and the owner even admitted it was gang related..

Neighborhoods seem to change...and not always for the better...

Old 08-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Sadly crime will visit your neighborhood sooner or later.

I.
That's not what people fear. It's just a convenient rationalization for something deeper than that. A shopper who refuses to make eye contact with another shopper, a person who uses a napkin to open the rest room door, a person who won't let their kids play in the yard unsupervised, a person who throws away food the day after the best-by date, a person who won't let their son carry a jackknife in his pocket, that is not prudent precaution against a rising crime rate. That is a top-heavy complex of pathological phobias.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
As unpopular as this answer will sound.....society used to fear less because they trusted God more. Whether people think that trust was unfounded or silly is their own opinion. However, it seemed to work as well for the people back in the day as it works for people today. I can truly say that I live a life without fear of anything. Again, could be a misguided security, but it sure does work.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
As unpopular as this answer will sound.....society used to fear less because they trusted God more. Whether people think that trust was unfounded or silly is their own opinion. However, it seemed to work as well for the people back in the day as it works for people today. I can truly say that I live a life without fear of anything. Again, could be a misguided security, but it sure does work.
That depends on the fear...going to hell or having your car stolen from you driveway.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It would be interesting if there were a survey, as to whether nonbelievers or believers are more straitjacketed in their lifestyle by everyday fears. By your account, it would be the atheists, but I doubt if that could be borne out. I would expect the devout churchgoers to be the ones most diligently shielding their children from the attendant dangers of daily life.

Sharing your anecdotal input, I refuse to fear, and I live my irreverent life as though I can deal with or deflect whatever comes my way, but I take pleasure in running freely and unafraid through the world. More than anything else, I fear myself, that I should do something ill-judged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates