Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Alf was one of the funniest shows ever. But they're all available on Hulu. I subscribe to MLB.TV, so I don't even watch much baseball anymore, and I wouldn't care if I never saw another football or basketball game. I got a free movie package with my cable, so I watch a couple movies a week, and old Turner classics. Sometimes I check on the science/discovery channels, they mostly just have stuff like survivorman and ice road trucker. That's about it, maybe the daily show and colbert if I think to turn it on, but they're getting pretty childish. It's been years since Ive seen a prime time network show. TV news is a waste of good blood pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 03:50 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,798 times
No it's not worth it. The only thing I watch on TV is the news, and that is only because I want to see the weather and if there are any lane/street closures before my commute to work. If I don't pay attention to that it could take me an hour longer to get to work! Yuck!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:39 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
There seem to be three predominant themes on T.V. these days.

A. Competition/Elimination Reality Shows
B. House Fixing, Flipping, Buying, Selling, Decorating.
C. Dangerous Occupations In Cold Northern Locations

Survivor and American Idol seemed to have set the groundwork for the "A" group, but cooking appears to have taken the idea and run with it. Competing chefs thrown into competitve venues, one goes home each show.

Group "B"....I am not quite sure how many more shows they can create that they have not already, but I'm sure they'll think of some...

Group "C"....Some of these shows are actually interesting. One show has a machine that can grab onto a large tree, cut it down, lift and stack it in a matter of seconds. Whether or not you think this is "neat" or a "nightmare" is an individual thing.

I agree the IQ has suffered overall though...someone bring back the "Prisoner".....the "Avengers"...."Monty Python"....I'll keep mine presently for remaining Britcoms. Steed and Mrs. Peel need to go do something about that tree cutting machine anyhow....

Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,801 times
just because some of you can't appreciate what's on tv today, doesn't mean the content is stupid. actually reality tv is great. i can also appreciate some of the older stuff but it had it's time.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:09 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Here I sit back home in Maine after spending 8 months in Connecticut (August to May). I took my TV down with me and brought it back. I've just realized that it still is not hooked up. I guess I haven't really missed TV all that much. Is it really even worth watching anymore?
It all depends how important a constant barrage of immorality, violence, and highly sexual propaganda is to you ; as for the News, you can get that easily off the Internet . I periodically have a Media-Fast and get into serious reading , doing constructive things, getting in touch with friends, etc... And it feels good. Can you relate to any of what ive said ?

Old 08-10-2009, 05:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Reality TV is watching a bunch of people stabbing each other in the back mostly;IMO, The netwirks love it because its cheap to make instead of hiring actors and writers etc.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
.-. . .- .-.. .-.. -.--?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
just because some of you can't appreciate what's on tv today, doesn't mean the content is stupid. Actually reality tv is great. I can also appreciate some of the older stuff but it had it's time.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i can also appreciate some of the older stuff but it had it's time.

Well if they cannot (or will not) return with the actual shows of yesteryear, can we at least have a return of some of the concepts, themes and styles of them? I miss the class, panache, and reniassance quality of the old characters.

Pulling out of 3 Stable Mews in a 1928 Bentley or a Lotus Elan....more of that.....

Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 PM

898 posts, read 1,401,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Sorry, but I have to laugh when someone mentions "Alf" and "quality" in the same sentence! And Knight Rider seemed good at the time, but have you tried watching it lately? It didn't stand the test of time.

Now WKRP in Cincinatti - that was quality television!
I loved both shows, Alf and Knight Rider. Have a few of Alf's seasons. A great sit-com, that wasn't all sexual innuendo, and who couldn't like KITT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?
There seem to be three predominant themes on T.V. these days.

A. Competition/Elimination Reality Shows
B. House Fixing, Flipping, Buying, Selling, Decorating.
C. Dangerous Occupations In Cold Northern Locations

Survivor and American Idol seemed to have set the groundwork for the "A" group, but cooking appears to have taken the idea and run with it. Competing chefs thrown into competitve venues, one goes home each show.

Group "B"....I am not quite sure how many more shows they can create that they have not already, but I'm sure they'll think of some...

Group "C"....Some of these shows are actually interesting. One show has a machine that can grab onto a large tree, cut it down, lift and stack it in a matter of seconds. Whether or not you think this is "neat" or a "nightmare" is an individual thing.

I agree the IQ has suffered overall though...someone bring back the "Prisoner".....the "Avengers"...."Monty Python"....I'll keep mine presently for remaining Britcoms. Steed and Mrs. Peel need to go do something about that tree cutting machine anyhow....
Remember the "Blackadder" series? It went from medieval times to World War II, I think. Hilarious!

There were a number of good shows in the 80s and 90s. Of course, there were some not so good as well. Depends on who you ask, I suppose. But like many, I can't stand reality TV.

Here's a few theme songs you might remember from back in the day.

YouTube - Dinosaurs

YouTube - Home Improvement Theme Seasons 1 & 2 & 3

YouTube - The Black Adder Tv Intro

Old 08-10-2009, 06:39 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,801 times
i do like black adder, faulty towers etc. i like british comedy (a lot) but not monty python. there were a lot of good shows in the past and a lot of bad or stupid ones too.

there are also lots of good shows today like 24, csi, etc and one of my favorites is house md. i think hugh laurie is sexy. he went from twit to wit on television. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates