Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
These 700 scientists challenge theory of manmade global warming « A War of Illusions

.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

The Global Warming Scam

I could keep this up all day if you like.

I liken this debate to the parallel one regarding separation of church and state. Because global warming fanaticism is much like religious fanaticism. No one is challenging your right to your beliefs and to practice your environmental religion, but I and many others challenge your quest to impose it on others. It needs to be kept as far from public policy decisions as we keep other forms of fanaticism.
Most aren't scientist. They are just names on a page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 04:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
What's holding nuclear back is the cost not the public. New nuclear is enormously expensive and risky.
· Nuclear energy is expensive. It is in fact one of the least expensive energy sources. In 2004, the average cost of producing nuclear energy in the United States was less than two cents per kilowatt-hour, comparable with coal and hydroelectric. Advances in technology will bring the cost down further in the future.

Going Nuclear - washingtonpost.com

Thats a fallacy, it goes hand in hand with the "nuclear is dangerous" argument.

People think of three mile island, but what they don't see is that three mile island was actually a success story. The concrete containment held the reactor, and prevented a meltdown. That was in 1979, imagine what we can do today.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Many of the poster here are idiots.
Really!!??

Well..some of us may be tempted to say so, but it is contrary to the terms of service. And in fairness, I don't think those of you who march in lockstep to Al Gore's tune are idiots. I think you are..on average..very young, very gullible, still finding your way in life, and not yet sure who you are.

Future expansion of your perspective will reveal that this issue has very little to do with environmental "science" and everything to do with political science.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Most aren't scientist. They are just names on a page.
Got it. People that agree with you are scientists. People that think for themselves and have a mature perspective on this are just names on a page.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
We are doing it. We install about 8,000 MW of wind a year and that's increasing rapidly.
We? Freudian slip?

You seem to forget one important lesson I already taught you so I guess I'll have to repeat it. Say it with us class, S-U-B-S-I-D-Y... Now keep repeating it until it sinks in. A lot of car dealers have no cars left on the lots do you think that is a great indicator the car industry is doing great? No, it's great indicator the government is handing out big fat checks and people took advantage of it same as investors are taking advantage of the big fat checks handed out for wind and solar.

As usual I have cited three indicators that it is quite expensive yet you casually disregard my posts because there is nothing you can say or provide to refute it except provide us with your opinion which is worth about as much as the toilet paper I have in my bathroom.

Quote:
It's about the same price as brown power in my area.
Well if we read the article from Austin the people there were able to get on some pretty good deals early on at the start of the program because of they had a contract and the price of electric went up they didn't have to pay the higher price. Hmmmm where did I hear about this before? That would be you correct? But now that the contracts have expired the new ones are 3X the standard price.

I'm pointing out to you documented proof that in this case it's 3X the cost where it previously wasn't. It's irrefutable... On the other hand I often hear you say you're paying less yet I'm beggining to wonder if that is the case. In any event the only reason you're electric rates would be less is because of the rest of us are paying for it. You're not paying for it, we're paying for it. You're no greener than the rest of us because without out tax dollars you're wind energy is nothing but a pipe dream.

Quote:
Those from the petroleum and coal sector lie at lot. Many of the poster here are idiots.
I'm assuming that's a jab at me and I've gone over this before but for the benefit of those that have not heard it my only financial interest in coal would be my forum and I stand to benefit greatly with the passage of this legislation as people seek cheaper alternative sources of fuel when their energy prices go through the roof. If I was considering my own interests I should be it's biggest fan. Matter of fact I'm already benefiting as one major manufacturer just qualified their stokers to meet the guidelines for the $1500 biomass tax credit. Doen't necessarily mean anyone is going to be burning biomass in it as they would have to be fool considering the price of pellets or corn vs coal. They will however get the credit. Full boiler systems FYI, not some cheesy little stove for supplementary heat.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:08 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Default Mother Nature ~ reset button

The other day I was watching one of my nephews playing a video game. Hours later he was still playing it with all of the energy and enthusiasm of a youngster. Eventually he came into the other room and I asked him how he did with the game? He replied “ok”. However I noticed that he had spent a lot of time with at the controls. So I asked why it took so long to play? He replied, “I couldn’t win the first time, so I tried again and got a better score, however it wasn’t until the last game that I was able to finally win”.

I couldn’t help but ask, how’s it possible to lose the game and yet continue to play it again? He responded with “you can reset and start over”. Interesting! If you don’t play the game correctly and win, you can reset it and start over.

Wouldn’t it be nice if Mother Nature had a reset button so we could start over after we continue to make the same mistakes? I don’t think anyone could agree more with the information that science has already provided us; the earth is in trouble and if we don’t do the right things to help ~ we’ll lose the game. No reset button for starting over here.

We can continue in the same direction or we can make changes. If the changes are an improvement, we win, if not we haven’t lost anything; and if we continue without changes then we need a reset button.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
We play the hand we're dealt, on a personal level we can only do what we are capable of, I drive a 1994 honda civic, it gets great fuel milage, I have insulated my home to the degree that provides for low energy use year round, it is 90 degrees here today and I haven't needed the heat pump to cool off. Do we have the oppertunity to plant twenty trees? Not where I live, but the thought of doing so makes sense.

When we consider the human impact on the planet, overpopulation is probably the single most negative thing humans have done. As a species, we are doing more than our share of enviromental damage. Most folk's know this to be true, what can we be doing to turn the tide of negative activity? For starters we can advocate, those who advocate are far more able to contribute to the positive aspects of change. Those who want to argue the finer points of this debate can do so, but, they won't get around the fact that we aren't talking about some distant future scene wherein the atmosphere is suffering the effects of our pollution, look around you, the evidence of the human element cannot be denied.

To state the obvious in regard to politics, yes most things become political sooner or later, that said, not ALL things are of a political nature. I hear this from way too many people, according to their data, climate CHANGES, yes, that's plural, are just another political scam. The earth has had many periods of highs and lows in overall temps, what is important to the latter day view regarding these changes is the fact that most of the major changes happened long ago. We are stuck with what we can deal with today, reciting the past shifts in our climate is of some interest but the fact remains that we have had a remarkable period of over ten thousand years of fairly stable climate conditions.

For those who can't see the benefit in making lifestyle changes that are more in keeping with a sustainable future, I'd ask, how long can we assume abundant and cheap oil? What will we accomplish in continuing our ever expanding suburban dream of millions of miles of paved roads leading us further from the center of economic oppertunity? Last, but certainly not least, I'd have to ask, what will the future of your grandchildren be in a world that has bowed down, not to an oracle from the south, but to the notion that everything is as it should be.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 AM

261 posts, read 668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
We play the hand we're dealt, on a personal level we can only do what we are capable of, I drive a 1994 honda civic, it gets great fuel milage, I have insulated my home to the degree that provides for low energy use year round, it is 90 degrees here today and I haven't needed the heat pump to cool off. Do we have the oppertunity to plant twenty trees? Not where I live, but the thought of doing so makes sense.

When we consider the human impact on the planet, overpopulation is probably the single most negative thing humans have done. As a species, we are doing more than our share of enviromental damage. Most folk's know this to be true, what can we be doing to turn the tide of negative activity? For starters we can advocate, those who advocate are far more able to contribute to the positive aspects of change. Those who want to argue the finer points of this debate can do so, but, they won't get around the fact that we aren't talking about some distant future scene wherein the atmosphere is suffering the effects of our pollution, look around you, the evidence of the human element cannot be denied.

To state the obvious in regard to politics, yes most things become political sooner or later, that said, not ALL things are of a political nature. I hear this from way too many people, according to their data, climate CHANGES, yes, that's plural, are just another political scam. The earth has had many periods of highs and lows in overall temps, what is important to the latter day view regarding these changes is the fact that most of the major changes happened long ago. We are stuck with what we can deal with today, reciting the past shifts in our climate is of some interest but the fact remains that we have had a remarkable period of over ten thousand years of fairly stable climate conditions.

For those who can't see the benefit in making lifestyle changes that are more in keeping with a sustainable future, I'd ask, how long can we assume abundant and cheap oil? What will we accomplish in continuing our ever expanding suburban dream of millions of miles of paved roads leading us further from the center of economic oppertunity? Last, but certainly not least, I'd have to ask, what will the future of your grandchildren be in a world that has bowed down, not to an oracle from the south, but to the notion that everything is as it should be.
Funny when i ask if immigrants are bad i get told we have plenty of space and now i am being told here we are overpopulated

Old 08-18-2009, 05:46 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
Funny when i ask if immigrants are bad i get told we have plenty of space and now i am being told here we are overpopulated
The planet as a whole. The United States produces a large percentage of the worlds food. We can sustain a larger population, and the entire population of Mexico would only grow our size by 25%. I doubt the entire country, or even a majority will be coming over.

And then there is China and India. They are way overpopulated, and they can't afford to feed the populations they have. This is the only reason why China keeps loaning us money, because they would starve without us.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The planet as a whole. The United States produces a large percentage of the worlds food. We can sustain a larger population, and the entire population of Mexico would only grow our size by 25%. I doubt the entire country, or even a majority will be coming over.

And then there is China and India. They are way overpopulated, and they can't afford to feed the populations they have. This is the only reason why China keeps loaning us money, because they would starve without us.

Perhaps even the immigration thing will reverse someday??? If our countries morals keep going down hill, I wouldn't be surprised. But then, I think the majority of the world is just as bad...so what can a body do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates