Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:11 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Really!!??

Well..some of us may be tempted to say so, but it is contrary to the terms of service. And in fairness, I don't think those of you who march in lockstep to Al Gore's tune are idiots. I think you are..on average..very young, very gullible, still finding your way in life, and not yet sure who you are.

Future expansion of your perspective will reveal that this issue has very little to do with environmental "science" and everything to do with political science.
I'm 60 years old and have worked in the energy industry my entire life. I'm a professional engineer with a masters in finance. I've worked with nuclear, fossil and renewable sources of energy. Your assumptions are full of chit.

Most of the posters on blogs have no technical backgrounds and get their talking points from partisan blogs, many of which promote positions that are just lies and bs. To support such positions makes them idiots.

I've never quoted Al Gore on Climate Science. He's a bright politician, but not a scientist. Your reference to Gore make you just one more RW blogger who doesn't have any facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Got it. People that agree with you are scientists. People that think for themselves and have a mature perspective on this are just names on a page.
Those lists have been vetted. They are junk.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:19 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
This was an interesting debate until the defenders of scientic theories took over! I wish the posts on common sense were as forceful!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The danger in nuclear power demonstrated by TMI was the multibillion dollar hit that Metropolitan Edision and its investors especially those on Wall Street took when TMI Unit #2 was written off. This doesn't happen with coal, oil or gas fired plants. But then came Chernobyl which showed what can happen if a reactor explodes and puts several hundred tons of its core into the air as dust. Chernobyl had a confinement building but the explosion puched through it. One of the problems in cleaning up TMI #2 was that part of the reactor melted and the rest was so warped that the control rods were frozen in place. The reactor was uncontrolable. A full meltdown at TMI could have put radioactive material in the ground water and then into the Susquehana river and than the Chesapeake Bay with the potential of ending the use of one of America's great fisheries.
Chernobyl did not have a containment vessel and there was not a reactor explosion. The graphite moderator caught fire and the fuel was entrained in the smoke.

The TMI reactor was never uncontrollable. It correctly shut down at the start of the accident. The staff misunderstood what was going on in the primary cooling system and allowed the core to become partially uncovered so it lost water cooling. What TMI proved was that the operators were idiots and the NSSS system performed better than designed in a worst case accident. Operator training is a lot better today than in 1979.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:39 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
"In Hot Water: World Sets Ocean Temperature Record"

In hot water: World sets ocean temperature record - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090820/ap_on_sc/us_sci_warm_oceans - broken link)

This was actually an interesting read. I have always believed the ocean temps themselves were driving more of the ice melting at the poles more than anything pumped into the air. Because despite everything, from what I can remember as a kid in the 50s and 60s, the United States has come along way from those exhaust chocking traffic snarls we use to endure. The smog is almost non-existant in So-Cal except for Riverside and San Bernardino Cos. Of course I'm not saying there might not be other invisible gases present.

But these ocean phenomenas and a whole lot of earthquake and volcanism activity worldwide which others have noted are interesting to me as well. Anyway, just another take. Or should I say another cup of gasoline on the Kamp-Fire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates