Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Good is what liberals think they are when they pat themselves on the head for being so enlightened. Bad is what they are when they want to deny seniors the surgery to be able to pat liberals on the head (really, really hard).

Good is singing in my car and rapping a beat on my steering wheel. Bad is singing on public transportation and rapping a beat on the guy's seat in front of me.

Good are earmarks for my state. Bad are earmarks for your state.

Good is community organized thugs supporting the President per Congress. Bad is community organized astroturf who don't support the President per Congress.

Good is diversity of people on college campuses. Bad is diversity of opinion on college campuses.

Good is registering people to vote. Bad is registering the same person 100 times.

Good are timelines for withdrawal when a Republican is in office. Bad are timelines for withdrawal when a Democrat is in office.

Good is snitchin' to the President. Bad is snitchin' to the cops.

Good are people who want to protect the environment. Bad are people who fly around in their private jet burning up fuel to lecture you about protecting the environment.

Good is birthing a baby underwater. Bad is dunking a terrorist underwater.

Good is praying terrorists in prison. Bad is praying coaches in schools.

Good is green when you are talking about the environment. Bad is green when you bring it to school at Christmas time on the top of cupcakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:15 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You sound like a very good person. Best wishes to you.
Actually, I am not ; I fail the Moral Code written on my heart the same as everyone else does even though I dont want to---that is the depravity of mankind . Fortunately, I have appropriated the finished work of Christ on the Cross to my account so I can stand before an infinitely holy God one day, forgiven by the price paid for me .

Old 08-21-2009, 01:56 PM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Almost every thread in this forum has people calling things good or better or best or bad or worse or worst. Define what you mean by that, when you use the term.

Wouldn't that be a good idea?
I'm going to get some good loving tonight. It will be better than bad.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm going to get some good loving tonight. It will be better than bad.
It will be worse than bad if the roll of the dice dont come up in your favor (IE: An epidemic of 33 current circulating STD's shared among over 40,000,000 adult Americans ; 2 being fatal , some causing sterility for life , some permanent, and most hard to get rid of).

I believe wishing you Good Luck is in order !

Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
This is a definitely an interesting and thought-provoking thread! Thanks!! I've enjoyed reading all of the posts.

I think that we've all been programmed to become "black and white thinkers" since birth....The concept of "good and bad" or "good versus bad" is an integral part of "black and white thinking." Don't you think?

And the notion of "good or bad" is directly linked to the concepts of "right or wrong." (As in, "I feel good because I did the right thing." Or, "I feel bad because I was wrong.")

My definition of "good" may be completely different than your definition of "good" at various times....Same goes with how I might define "bad."

"Abstract thinking" seems to allow a lot more "leeway" when it comes to how we view the notion of "good or bad." Don't you think? Wish I had time to write more....Gotta go now. Will be back soon to read more posts. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,642 times
Good is anything that doesn't annoy me. That's my definition and I'm sticking with it!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
This is a definitely an interesting and thought-provoking thread! Thanks!! I've enjoyed reading all of the posts.

I think that we've all been programmed to become "black and white thinkers" since birth....The concept of "good and bad" or "good versus bad" is an integral part of "black and white thinking." Don't you think?

And the notion of "good or bad" is directly linked to the concepts of "right or wrong." (As in, "I feel good because I did the right thing." Or, "I feel bad because I was wrong.")

My definition of "good" may be completely different than your definition of "good" at various times....Same goes with how I might define "bad."

"Abstract thinking" seems to allow a lot more "leeway" when it comes to how we view the notion of "good or bad." Don't you think? Wish I had time to write more....Gotta go now. Will be back soon to read more posts. Thanks!
I think in a Post Modern era such as ours, we determine what is good or bad for us, based on how we feel at the moment and what the circumstances are at the moment . In other words, we dont base it on objective standards ... rather we base it on how/if its going to benefit us somehow in the very short run ; to help 'justify' this, we desire for many things to be grey areas to accomodate our not so good choices.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:26 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
"Good" is subjective in that it is based on what the society teaches. And what they individual values. Say a friends parent dies and this man was pretty much mentally gone. Your friend is in great grief, and wasn't ready to let go yet. It was not good to him that dad died. But you have been seeing how your friend was breaking with the father being there only in body. So for you it could be "good" that the old man passed on because he had already really gone and you care about your friend. Now he can grieve and recover. But to your friend the passing is the furthest you can get from "good".

Good also very much depends on who will recieve the good, since it is the polar opposite of bad, and in real like there is always balance. What is good for one is by defination not good for someone else. It may be any level of balance between absolute bad and absolute good.

When someone claims that religion is the determiner of "good" then they are making a personal judgement. There are certain things universally or nearly so judged as bad, but when you look at them they tend to be those things which destroy a society so perhaps its from an evolution that has happened in many many societys over time.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:56 AM

'When someone claims that religion is the determiner of "good" then they are making a personal judgement. There are certain things universally or nearly so judged as bad, but when you look at them they tend to be those things which destroy a society so perhaps its from an evolution that has happened in many many societys over time.'

REPLY: It is not any 'religion' that is the determiner , according to the Declaration of Independence it is the Creator himself. There are fundamental core Moral Laws intrinsic to every human being on earth regardless of culture. , just as there are civil Laws and road Laws .Fanciful (and convenient) Pond Scum to 206 bone 'human evolution' is not only masquerading as real science, but, it cannot account for NON material personality like moral oughtness, abstract thought, reasoning, rationalizing, love, compassion, empathy, etc.. The core Moral Laws which are written on our Fiber , are a prescription which are absolute and can only come from a source BEYOND us because every person has it ; we wouldnt know justice without them, they are what differentiates between mere opinion and objective right from wrong, they are the basis for our Human Rights, people make excuses for violating them (when if they were subjective there would be no reason to make an excuse over), and...The Moral Law can be readily identified not so much by how we act, but by how we REACT when we are violated by another . If we hold to relative morals for ALL, then we have no basis for feeling indignant when someone willfully violates our trust because to the other person he/she might feel it is perfectly alright to do so. Ergo, Hitler wasnt objectively wrong for what he was trying to accomplish because he honestly believed he was creating a better Nation . If there is no objective right from wrong, then there is no difference between a Hitler and Mother Theresa .

While many want the entitlement to have full unrestrained freedom to act as they like, in reality, they would not/do not want to live in a society where everyone treats each other based on subjectivity and desire 'grey' areas of moral conduct. That is the sure recipe for anarchy which we see today across this nation since God is no longer wanted along with his protective moral basis for civil living ; in fact, the easiest way to get around this dilemna of absolute moral laws and ultimate moral accontability is to just pretend that God doesnt even exist and everything was one gigantic unpurposed accident which truly does show the pride , willful rebellion and willful deceit of the human heart. The Founders of this Nation recognized all this ,and wanted its Citizens to be obedient to an absolute Moral Law standard and never for the Nation to adopt the philosophy that MAN decides whats acceptable to do based on personal feelings , the situation at hand, and popular opinion. Regards.

Last edited by RVlover; 08-24-2009 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: added

Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Almost every thread in this forum has people calling things good or better or best or bad or worse or worst. Define what you mean by that, when you use the term.

Wouldn't that be a good idea?
When I was young I was good, now that I'm older I am better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates