Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The "severity" of crime potential distills down to one factor---the impact it is likely to have on the ordinary citizen. The fact that there are more murders associated with cocaine over meth (20 instead of ten) has no meaning, because the bulk of those murders will affect only victims who are involved in the criminal activity itself. and it is a tiny number of crimes anyway. So that is a factor that discounts to zero in terms of the general public.

In fact, the murder rate in the USA is really quite irrelevant to the general public, because nearly all victims are engaged in some kind of association with the murderers, which is pretty easy for me and you to avoid in our everyday social intercourse. Risk aversion is a no-brainer.
The only thing that provoked any thought from me ,here, was your opening statement, so I will muse on that. Impact twixt these two drugs...hmmm. I think meth is probably easier and cheaper to produce and obtain than coke, in any form. It's impact on our population has been hard to miss. All one has to do is look around and you will see emaciated scarecrows running on drug induced energy. Meth is a huge problem, and it is not specific to any demographic. It's everywhere. I suppose this equated to comparing roving gangs of armed thugs to a standing army. One is vicious and predatory, hitting at random wherever they see fit for any reason they see fit, and the other is well equipped, organized, and takes it's orders from a central source. Both are destructive and deadly, both have serious impacts on our society, there is large, easy, money in both as well, when we take the comparison back to the drugs themselves. I think the focus is more on crack than meth. As I said, we are not using our armed forces to combat meth. So, in the vein of how much money we are throwing at the drug problem, the societal impact of crack is more far reaching than that of meth. As to what these two specific drugs actually do to people, that's a dead tie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates