Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,517 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted to discuss and get more information on this subject, but I always felt "bad" about looking at it this way..but it seems like anything goes on City Data lol

I do ask this in just the.. nicest way possible?

When areas...cities, towns, etc..are majority of black/hispanic, it's typically a high crime/drug area. Why? How did this happen?

I'm sure we'll get some mean racist responses, lol, but I'm looking for truth to this. I understand there ARE crappy areas that are mostly white, but typically if an area is mostly black/hispanic, it's an area you do not want to be in

So, why and how?

Old 12-28-2009, 07:11 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
I'm going to get a drink, sit back and watch this one...

Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
I'm a white guy living in an almost exclusively black neighborhood in a black part of Omaha. I've got great neighbors, we have no crime that I know of, and I don't even lock my garage door.

So what does that prove? Anything? Nothing?

Old 12-28-2009, 07:22 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I've always wanted to discuss and get more information on this subject, but I always felt "bad" about looking at it this way..but it seems like anything goes on City Data lol

I do ask this in just the.. nicest way possible?

When areas...cities, towns, etc..are majority of black/hispanic, it's typically a high crime/drug area. Why? How did this happen?

I'm sure we'll get some mean racist responses, lol, but I'm looking for truth to this. I understand there ARE crappy areas that are mostly white, but typically if an area is mostly black/hispanic, it's an area you do not want to be in

So, why and how?
Easy. Go back and read your US history beginning with about 1830. Be sure to read the political, legal and economic angles.

Then it is obvious...and even more depressing (since a historical POV rules out any quick fixes).

There are plenty of healthy communities of colour--just filter by education and income.

S.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:30 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
It's just in their blood going all the way back to West Africa, just like that rhythm they've all got.

Started to show back in the slave days with watermelons, then after freedom it jumped to high-end hubcaps. Now, anything goes. Plasma TVs, Coach Bags, white women...they just take whatever they see.

Sometimes, you can get one of them to become your best friend.

Well, that was fun!

Old 12-28-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Easy. Go back and read your US history beginning with about 1830. Be sure to read the political, legal and economic angles.

Then it is obvious...and even more depressing (since a historical POV rules out any quick fixes).

There are plenty of healthy communities of colour--just filter by education and income.

S.
There are. All of the people of color I know, and I don't mean five or ten people, I know from the business world. They own houses, have college educations, are involved in the community, and raise their children to be productive people.

People who have been at the bottom of the economic ladder in this country while everyone passed them up are coming up, but as Sandpointian implies, there is no quick fix to the deeply ingrained perception of hopelessness that comes from generations of poverty without opportunity.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:41 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
poverty

Old 12-28-2009, 07:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Some of the worst neighborhoods that I've lived in were all white. Neighbors you rarely see. Divorce, substance abuse, alcoholism, spousal abuse, murder-suicide, child neglect, child abuse, elder neglect, elder abuse, psychological disorders and abuse, depression and abuse, pedophiles, teenage truancy, vandalism, teenage drug use, teenage rebellion against parents, parental abuse by teens, wild teenage behavior disturbing the peace, drugs, drugs, drugs, sexual perversions of every sort, pet abuse and neglect, bigotry, trespassing, burglary, embezzlement, forgery, fraud, tax cheats, theft, and so forth.

Problems don't just exist in areas that are "all-black" or "all-hispanic." Here in the SF bay area for instance, there are hundreds of asian houses of prostitution fronting as "good health" centers, "accupuncture" centers, "chinese herb, tea, and massage" centers, "massage and tanning" centers and the like.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,517 times
Hmm.. maybe it's just the areas I've known. Places like areas in Philadelphia and some places in NJ (Like Camden since it's the town next to me)

Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Hmm.. maybe it's just the areas I've known. Places like areas in Philadelphia and some places in NJ (Like Camden since it's the town next to me)
I live in NJ, and yeah, Camden's pretty much irreparable. I don't think there IS a good section in that city. What I've seen of Philly isn't too hot, either. They are two cities that would give you that impression and serve to underscore that stereotype, because in those cases, it's reality. Places like that are self-perpetuating and that way of life is the only way their inhabitants know how to survive.

I know a few black people who grew up in Newark, in poverty, with welfare mothers, but who took advantage of every program they could and whose parents encouraged them to get an education and be something more. They got out and are now solid middle-class. Sadly, some never can get out, get caught up in the gangs and drugs and crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates