Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
As it should be.

What's becoming more and more obvious, here in North Omaha (high crime & mostly black area of the city) is that it is a VERY FEW people causing all the problems. Anything more than petty theft & stupid vandalism is ALWAYS gang & drug related. The serious crimes happen repeatedly in specific areas, and involve specific people.

Almost without fail, it is black against black crime.

Meanwhile, you have a wider population that wrongly thinks it's just random crime, and that they'll probably be victimized just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Alot of it has to do with ignorance.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Alot of it has to do with ignorance.
Right.

Interesting thought about words though... Ignorance carries a rather negative connotation - almost as though the person described as ignorant is actually stupid.

I think a lot of people, and I'd include a lot of my extended family in this group, are simply unaware of what is actually going on, and what the overwhelming majority of black people are like.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I think I saw you on the news last night!

And your kid.

That's funny as hell. My kids LOVE temporary tattoos, especially when they get one with flames like daddy. But thug life? not gonna happen lol, oh and i have my hair

Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
That's funny as hell. My kids LOVE temporary tattoos, especially when they get one with flames like daddy. But thug life? not gonna happen lol, oh and i have my hair
Brag now, because the day is coming...

Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The way I see it, the "bad eggs" don't really outnumber the good people. The thing is, the "bad eggs" get the most attention. Alot of people speak of the bad things done by Black people as if the Black persons who are decent people don't exist. That is quite sad. The Black people who are doing good things everyday(such as the college student, the minister, the college professor, the doctor, the teacher, the lawyer, the engineer, etc.) are not getting the attention.

When you turn on the news, you hear many reports about African-Americans committing so many crimes. I am don't denying the fact that these crimes occur. What I am saying is that very often, that is much of what you hear about Black people on the 6 o'clock news, and in disproportionate numbers. I don't see enough stories about the good things many African-Americans are doing, because believe it or not, those things happen, and I see them happening. Unfortunately, crime and violence within the African-American community get more attention. This is how many news networks get high ratings. They get high ratings by showing things like that.

My point? There aren't more bad eggs than good persons. This is how my high school teacher explained it. 95% of a school's behavior problems come from 5% of the student population. In a way, it is similar with African-Americans. Most African-Americans don't committ crimes, but the few that do get the most attention. The ones that do behave like lowlives get most of the attention.

You were responded to an immigrants who was making observations of blacks or minorities. People who come to this country from other places are not well versed in US history. The greatest growth in the US population is occurring from immigration. What is the long term consequence of all these new people coming to the US, not knowing its history or caring to know, and making accurate observations about black crime, poverty, unemployment, out of wedlock births, attitudes and behavior? They come to this country, like all immigrants did, because they believed that this is the land of opportunity and that anyone could and should be able to make it here. Thus, what become the attitudes of these immigrants towards blacks? Obviously it becomes negative and if or when these people assume positions of power and authority, how will those negative perceptions of black people manifest and impact blacks?

We talk about this stuff as if it is benign. People disparage people like me for “dwelling” on the past. No. I don’t dwell on the past. I am simply providing the explanation for the observations people make of blacks. When you remove history from the explanation, its no longer a valid explanation and with history removed the explanation becomes based upon century old negative stereotype about black people in regards to laziness, shiftlessness, intellect deprivation, no sexual self control, violent, etc, etc. In other words, without history or history being decoupled from the condition, the explanation becomes rooted in the nature of black people, based upon long held, ingrained, traditional negative stereotypes. The condition that people observe then self reinforces that these stereotype are TRUE subconsciously, if not consciously. In turn, if people look at you as inferior then they treat you as inferior which helps reinforce your inferior condition which in turn then refuels the stereotype in an endless cycle.

It’s also important to know, as I am sure you do, that the problem does not manifest in the people who we know, but rather, the people we don’t know. The question is how the subconscious process interests or threats when it observes unknown black people? Obviously if are walking down a dark street late at night and pass a black person that you have known for years, like and respect, even if he is dressed down with cap, shorts, t-shirt and the like, your subconscious will not perceive a threat. However, how would the subconscious process a black guy, dressed the same way under the same situation….but one did not know of this person? Hence, one cannot claim to be free of a negative perception or view of a people based upon the fact that they personaly know some of these people and they don’t hold negative opinions of them. One cannot say “I don’t feel negative towards black people because I know some black people who I don’t feel negative about”. That is called the “fallacy of composition”. The fallacy is that what is true of a part is not necessarily true for the whole and what is true for the whole is not necessarily true of its part. Hence, its NOT necessarily valid that if you like and respect some black people that you like and respect blacks generally, especially the ones you don’t know.

I think humans naturally realize that everyone is not born equal. Some people are inherently more intelligent, more tempered, organized, stronger ect ect. In other words, we all know that the general rule is that some people have superior abilities than others and this is why they rise to the top over others. I mean, I don’t think I could ever be a Michael Jordan because I was not born with his natural gifts, not to say he did not work very hard to accomplish what he did. So people subconsciously, if not consciously, believe that the natural order is that the BEST will rise above the rest. Hence, when people observe the social order of blacks, absent the history of the extern factors that held blacks back, people assume that IT’S THE NATURAL ORDER. In other words, people will assume, absent history as the explanation, that blacks inherently lack what other groups or races have and that becomes the explanation for their observation regarding the black condition, relative to other races, not only in America, but around the world. This is why I will FOREVER...be "Dwelling" on the past to provide the TRUE and not STEREOTYPICAL explanation for the observations concering the black condition, culture and behavior.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-27-2010 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

You were responded to an immigrants who was making observations of blacks or minorities. People who come to this country from other places are not well versed in US history. The greatest growth in the US population is occurring from immigration. What is the long term consequence of all these new people coming to the US, not knowing its history or caring to know, and making accurate observations about black crime, poverty, unemployment, out of wedlock births, attitudes and behavior? They come to this country, like all immigrants did, because they believed that this is the land of opportunity and that anyone could and should be able to make it here. Thus, what become the attitudes of these immigrants towards blacks? Obviously it becomes negative and if or when these people assume positions of power and authority, how will those negative perceptions of black people manifest and impact blacks?

We talk about this stuff as if it is benign. People disparage people like me for “dwelling” on the past. No. I don’t dwell on the past. I am simply providing the explanation for the observations people make of blacks. When you remove history from the explanation, its no longer a valid explanation and with history removed the explanation becomes based upon century old negative stereotype about black people in regards to laziness, shiftlessness, intellect deprivation, no sexual self control, violent, etc, etc. In other words, without history or history being decoupled from the condition, the explanation becomes rooted in the nature of black people, based upon long held, ingrained, traditional negative stereotypes. The condition that people observe then self reinforces that these stereotype are TRUE subconsciously, if not consciously. In turn, if people look at you as inferior then they treat you as inferior which helps reinforce your inferior condition which in turn then refuels the stereotype in an endless cycle.

It’s also important to know, as I am sure you do, that the problem does not manifest in the people who we know, but rather, the people we don’t know. The question is how the subconscious process interests or threats when it observes unknown black people? Obviously if are walking down a dark street late at night and pass a black person that you have known for years, like and respect, even if he is dressed down with cap, shorts, t-shirt and the like, your subconscious will not perceive a threat. However, how would the subconscious process a black guy, dressed the same way under the same situation….but one did not know of this person? Hence, one cannot claim to be free of a negative perception or view of a people based upon the fact that they personaly know some of these people and they don’t hold negative opinions of them. One cannot say “I don’t feel negative towards black people because I know some black people who I don’t feel negative about”. That is called the “fallacy of composition”. The fallacy is that what is true of a part is not necessarily true for the whole and what is true for the whole is not necessarily true of its part. Hence, its NOT necessarily valid that if you like and respect some black people that you like and respect blacks generally, especially the ones you don’t know.

I think humans naturally realize that everyone is not born equal. Some people are inherently more intelligent, more tempered, organized, stronger ect ect. In other words, we all know that the general rule is that some people have superior abilities than others and this is why they rise to the top over others. I mean, I don’t think I could ever be a Michael Jordan because I was not born with his natural gifts, not to say he did not work very hard to accomplish what he did. So people subconsciously, if not consciously, believe that the natural order is that the BEST will rise above the rest. Hence, when people observe the social order of blacks, absent the history of the extern factors that held blacks back, people assume that IT’S THE NATURAL ORDER. In other words, people will assume, absent history as the explanation, that blacks inherently lack what other groups or races have and that becomes the explanation for their observation regarding the black condition, relative to other races, not only in America, but around the world. This is why I will FOREVER...be "Dwelling" on the past to provide the TRUE and not STEREOTYPICAL explanation for the observations concering the black condition, culture and behavior.
Police: Knife, Mace Used During Massive North Side Fight - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates