Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
This isn't necessarily true.

The run-down homes are typically in areas where the majority of the homes are lived in by renters - many of whom are Section 8 (rent assisted) people.

They have nothing invested in their house, so they don't give a crap about it. And this isn't a result of race. It's a result of simply not caring.
When I first got out the Navy, I rented an efficiency apartment. The main room was 12 feet by 12 feet and the bathroom was 5 feet by 6 feet. No stove, one sink, and a single window AC unit. All the paint on the cinderblock walls were pealing, no curtains or blinds on the windows, and the place was not cleaned. I scraped all the loose paint off the walls and painted them myself. I installed roll down shades and drapes on the windows. Installed knobs for the drawers and cabinet doors. Made repairs to the window AC unit to keep my utility bills down. Once my apartment was up to my standards, I began keeping the walkways outside clean, changing security light bulbs when needed, helping neighbors with apartment repairs the landlady wasn't getting done, and reporting low branches on power lines to the utility company. I didn't have anything invested in the place. But for the brief time I was there, it was my home. Was offered apartment management position but my rotating shifts at the hospital would have made the job impossible.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:42 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
When I first got out the Navy, I rented an efficiency apartment. The main room was 12 feet by 12 feet and the bathroom was 5 feet by 6 feet. No stove, one sink, and a single window AC unit. All the paint on the cinderblock walls were pealing, no curtains or blinds on the windows, and the place was not cleaned. I scraped all the loose paint off the walls and painted them myself. I installed roll down shades and drapes on the windows. Installed knobs for the drawers and cabinet doors. Made repairs to the window AC unit to keep my utility bills down. Once my apartment was up to my standards, I began keeping the walkways outside clean, changing security light bulbs when needed, helping neighbors with apartment repairs the landlady wasn't getting done, and reporting low branches on power lines to the utility company. I didn't have anything invested in the place. But for the brief time I was there, it was my home. Was offered apartment management position but my rotating shifts at the hospital would have made the job impossible.
Actually, you DID have a LOT invested in the place. You had your SELF invested in the apartment. You are one of those unusual renters who wanted to leave a place better than you found it - a person who actually cares about more than himself. I truly wish there were a LOT more renters like you around!

Old 05-23-2010, 12:38 AM

201 posts, read 432,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I am a white male married to a black hispanic. Sadly, we both agree the majority of bad neighborhoods are black or hispanic.

I really believe these issue(s) date back to economic standards that have been present for centuries. Education, housing and hospital care for those races are severely lacking. At childhood, those kids are NOT provided the same level of training for adulthood. In my opinion, a minority child when compared to a white child, is easily 3 steps behind. Matter of fact, my kids attended school in a predominately black area for 6 years and later we moved to a white area. Upon enrollment in those white schools, the faculty stated my children were far behind their classmates...big time. Some years have passed and I can positively state my kids are even if not excelling but like I said it did take some time.

Considering my example, what happens to a child who does not escape a dead school system? From my vantage point, that child is lacking alot of positive interaction to succeed in life. Especially, if the child has parents who are working 3 jobs or if the parent just plain sucks. Education is the main source for success. Until those standards are equal we will continue to find "hoods."
The problem here is, your child was one kid who was proped up by a good school system, any given school system can only support so many students that are behind before the class rooms are inundated. The problem is when half the class cant speak english or thugs are having shoot outs on the streets and you cant get good teachers because its dangerous and the education quality goes down the crapper.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:06 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
Education is poorer in poor areas, because the people that live there, don't invest themselves in their children's school or schoolwork. Success at school starts at home. Success in life starts at school, guess what. If home life lacks, school life lacks, adult life lacks.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm a legal immigrant to the US and have been here for almost 5 years now.

Have no exposure whatsoever to the cultural and racial history of the US, but even I have learned that if an area is filled mostly with blacks or hispanics, that's trouble.

And I'm not alone. My fellow Indians, Chinese, Japanese and other Asians who immigrate into the US somehow inherit this unwritten law about these two communities.

It's more telling when it comes to real estate. It's almost universally accepted that buying a house or moving into one of these areas is not very wise.

My ex-compatriots put it plainly in black and white. "Leave your wallet in a white area, come back after a week and you'll find it untouched. But when you are in a black or hispanic area, don't be surprised if your wallet gets taken"

It's very opinionated, but can be quite true. On the other hand, every rule has an exception. There can be good blacks and hispanics too. It's just that the bad eggs outnumber them and bring everybody down with them.
The way I see it, the "bad eggs" don't really outnumber the good people. The thing is, the "bad eggs" get the most attention. Alot of people speak of the bad things done by Black people as if the Black persons who are decent people don't exist. That is quite sad. The Black people who are doing good things everyday(such as the college student, the minister, the college professor, the doctor, the teacher, the lawyer, the engineer, etc.) are not getting the attention.

When you turn on the news, you hear many reports about African-Americans committing so many crimes. I am don't denying the fact that these crimes occur. What I am saying is that very often, that is much of what you hear about Black people on the 6 o'clock news, and in disproportionate numbers. I don't see enough stories about the good things many African-Americans are doing, because believe it or not, those things happen, and I see them happening. Unfortunately, crime and violence within the African-American community get more attention. This is how many news networks get high ratings. They get high ratings by showing things like that.

My point? There aren't more bad eggs than good persons. This is how my high school teacher explained it. 95% of a school's behavior problems come from 5% of the student population. In a way, it is similar with African-Americans. Most African-Americans don't committ crimes, but the few that do get the most attention. The ones that do behave like lowlives get most of the attention.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:37 PM

pirate. bad news makes the news in bad areas. good news makes the news in good areas. if the same station services both areas, you get the bad news, its more exciting

Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
pirate. bad news makes the news in bad areas. good news makes the news in good areas. if the same station services both areas, you get the bad news, its more exciting
Not necessarily. I have watched the news alot. You are right, many people see the bad news as more exciting. That was the point I was trying to make. The bad eggs get the most attention.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Not necessarily. I have watched the news alot. You are right, many people see the bad news as more exciting. That was the point I was trying to make. The bad eggs get the most attention.
Well... That's just true, period. One person who shoots a cop is going to get a lot more media attention than a million people who don't.

But yeah, slime sells. No doubt about it.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 PM

I live in a county with a few very distinct areas. All served by the same 4 news stations. There is a VERY crime ridden bad part of town, as well as a very affluent part of town. They get the same news broadcasts. I personally would rather hear about the bad stuff, so I know what new scams and traffic incidents to watch for, than some idiot winning a prize because he saved a group of ducks from eviction

Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
I live in a county with a few very distinct areas. All served by the same 4 news stations. There is a VERY crime ridden bad part of town, as well as a very affluent part of town. They get the same news broadcasts. I personally would rather hear about the bad stuff, so I know what new scams and traffic incidents to watch for, than some idiot winning a prize because he saved a group of ducks from eviction
That being considered, I have a question for you: What does that do for the persons who might have their reputation tarnished because one guy acted like a fool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates