Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I've always wanted to discuss and get more information on this subject, but I always felt "bad" about looking at it this way..but it seems like anything goes on City Data lol

I do ask this in just the.. nicest way possible?

When areas...cities, towns, etc..are majority of black/hispanic, it's typically a high crime/drug area. Why? How did this happen?

I'm sure we'll get some mean racist responses, lol, but I'm looking for truth to this. I understand there ARE crappy areas that are mostly white, but typically if an area is mostly black/hispanic, it's an area you do not want to be in

So, why and how?
Because they are mostly inhabited by entitlement minded people. They have nothing to live for. Idle hands are the devils workshop.

Don't feel bad.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:15 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That being considered, I have a question for you: What does that do for the persons who might have their reputation tarnished because one guy acted like a fool?
You mean, my neighbors would think less of me because someone two streets over killed someone? I guess then it's up to me to change their view. Act like an upstanding citizen instead of a thug, don't use my dog or a gathering of friends to make neighbors feel unwanted, etc.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:59 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
You mean, my neighbors would think less of me because someone two streets over killed someone? I guess then it's up to me to change their view. Act like an upstanding citizen instead of a thug, don't use my dog or a gathering of friends to make neighbors feel unwanted, etc.
I do act like upstanding citizen. It doesn't mean that some people won't perceive me as a "threat" just based on my looks. I can only act like an upstanding citizen for myself. If I am doing my job, the problem still rests with those who give into those negative stereotypes and believe them.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:32 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
I do act like upstanding citizen. It doesn't mean that some people won't perceive me as a "threat" just based on my looks. I can only act like an upstanding citizen for myself. If I am doing my job, the problem still rests with those who give into those negative stereotypes and believe them.
As it should be.

What's becoming more and more obvious, here in North Omaha (high crime & mostly black area of the city) is that it is a VERY FEW people causing all the problems. Anything more than petty theft & stupid vandalism is ALWAYS gang & drug related. The serious crimes happen repeatedly in specific areas, and involve specific people.

Almost without fail, it is black against black crime.

Meanwhile, you have a wider population that wrongly thinks it's just random crime, and that they'll probably be victimized just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited by Omaha Rocks; 05-27-2010 at 06:49 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Default Ever wonder why Whites don't want to live near underclass blacks?

Heres why, this is a predominately black area, I'm just surprised there weren't any guns involved. Police: Knife, Mace Used During Massive North Side Fight - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh

Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
The way I see it, the "bad eggs" don't really outnumber the good people. The thing is, the "bad eggs" get the most attention. Alot of people speak of the bad things done by Black people as if the Black persons who are decent people don't exist. That is quite sad. The Black people who are doing good things everyday(such as the college student, the minister, the college professor, the doctor, the teacher, the lawyer, the engineer, etc.) are not getting the attention.

When you turn on the news, you hear many reports about African-Americans committing so many crimes. I am don't denying the fact that these crimes occur. What I am saying is that very often, that is much of what you hear about Black people on the 6 o'clock news, and in disproportionate numbers. I don't see enough stories about the good things many African-Americans are doing, because believe it or not, those things happen, and I see them happening. Unfortunately, crime and violence within the African-American community get more attention. This is how many news networks get high ratings. They get high ratings by showing things like that.

My point? There aren't more bad eggs than good persons. This is how my high school teacher explained it. 95% of a school's behavior problems come from 5% of the student population. In a way, it is similar with African-Americans. Most African-Americans don't committ crimes, but the few that do get the most attention. The ones that do behave like lowlives get most of the attention.
Totally agree with this. News cameras aren't following behind African-Americans who are going to work every day, helping their kids with their homework, paying their bills, etc. There's no story there, nothing to sell, but there are plenty of people like that. I work and have worked with a large number of black people over the years, and most of them own their own homes, are involved with their kids and communities, and generally live quiet, peaceful lives.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Totally agree with this. News cameras aren't following behind African-Americans who are going to work every day, helping their kids with their homework, paying their bills, etc. There's no story there, nothing to sell, but there are plenty of people like that. I work and have worked with a large number of black people over the years, and most of them own their own homes, are involved with their kids and communities, and generally live quiet, peaceful lives.
Exactly!

Oddly enough, those are MY neighbors. Just good people. In fact, better than good people! And they're MORE disgusted than anybody else about the "thug life" a few rottens are choosing to pursue.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I'm the 6'+ 200lb neighbor with brightly colored tattoos that walks around in khaki shorts and an undershirt when Im not working. Some neighbors just look at me and won't talk to me, that's ok, I'm the guy that will drag your broken car out of the middle of the street with MY floorjack underneath it, or help you jump start your car in the morning, but don't forget about that the next day and keep staring, or you'll be calling a taxi the next time.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I'm the 6'+ 200lb neighbor with brightly colored tattoos that walks around in khaki shorts and an undershirt when Im not working. Some neighbors just look at me and won't talk to me, that's ok, I'm the guy that will drag your broken car out of the middle of the street with MY floorjack underneath it, or help you jump start your car in the morning, but don't forget about that the next day and keep staring, or you'll be calling a taxi the next time.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
I think I saw you on the news last night!

And your kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates