Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 11:18 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
It's because they're more likely to be poor, lower income, and use the excuse to commit crimes. They claim it's a reason, everyone else sees it as an excuse. I have been poor, very poor, and NEVER have committed any crime (aside from speeding, but that's not the point). Some people are too lazy to work, and would rather ride on the backs of others, by committing crime, by taking welfare they don't deserve. If you would, for one second, quit trying to use over complicated terminology, and offer a serious, subjective criticism, or debate, or retort, we would be able to carry on a normal conversation, but you insist on throwing out big words, with no more meaning than the ones the rest of us are using. Just because you have a dictionary handy, does not make your arguments valid, or any more valid than anyone elses. Kindly sir, or madam, please give us an argument as to why you think minorities commit more crime, ASIDE from "the white men made me do it" mentality you spew everywhere else.
Why are black people more likely to be poor, lower income and liars (excuse makers is simply a euphamism)? Why do poor blacks have a greater propensity to be criminals than poor whites....because that is what you are saying.

I am not using big words....I am using terms the 'fit' the situation.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
So you're saying that todays whites are cowardly racists, and the previous generations weren't scared of calling it like they see it, but can't one argue that those were personal experiences, and they cannot be used in this context? I know that when I cited my own personal experiences, they were struck down as "not representative of the whole". When in reality, that's what "the whole" is based off of, individual personal experiences, those combined are what create statistics. There's no need to, but since you always bring it up, racism and segregation. Do you believe that segregation and racism are what led blacks to retaliate by committing more crime?
Many whites 30 years ago had little, if any, personal contact with blacks, yet, they were racist. So it was not about their personal experience other than what they were taught by the larger society about blacks.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
So you're saying that todays whites are cowardly racists, and the previous generations weren't scared of calling it like they see it, but can't one argue that those were personal experiences, and they cannot be used in this context? I know that when I cited my own personal experiences, they were struck down as "not representative of the whole". When in reality, that's what "the whole" is based off of, individual personal experiences, those combined are what create statistics. There's no need to, but since you always bring it up, racism and segregation. Do you believe that segregation and racism are what led blacks to retaliate by committing more crime?
Retaliate by killing each other? I would say that it is common knowlege that people who are reared under abuse are far more likely to be abusive than those who were not reared under abuse. Socialization manifest mostly via emulation. Thus, 300 years of being abused socialized blacks to behave abusively as a means to an end. Historically, when whites wanted something from blacks, they took it by force and with violence.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:31 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
It wasn't just that. Sometimes the way laws are set up. Back in the old days(and I mean far back in the old days, like around 1800), Blacks could be imprisoned for simply being in certain places. Fast-forward to the 1980's. Drug laws made criminals out of many African-Americans. You could be imprisoned just for having cocaine or crack on you(not selling or distributing, but simply having it) and the amount of time you spent in prison for it was equal to the time spent for molesting someone. If there was anytime crime in the African-American community went up sky-high, it was during the drug epidemic of the 1980's. Sure, alot of places were losing jobs and crime was increasing, but when crack got in the mix, that really shot things up. Here is a question: Why is it that you can find crack easily in many African-American communities and meth in poor, predominantly White areas? Why not the inverse? What caused the crime rate in Colombia to go up really high?
Cocaine and Pablo Escobar, and it happened around the same time period too. Hip-hop itself didn't lead the high rise in crime. If anything, it was a series of things of a series of events, many of the fueled by the love of money. Once crack and cocaine became extremely abundant in many African-American communities, social consciousness came to an end. It was all about the money. Some people got rich overnight by selling crack. People were getting killed over crack and other things. The drug epidemic turned already declining areas into very bad areas. How did cocaine get into many African-American communities?

Where has the "don't snitch" mentality come from? Abuse dealt by the police to many African-Americans in disproportionately high levels. To talk to the police was considered being a traitor because of this. The attitude was "once they deal with the neighborhood bully, they'll come for you next". Not only that, sometimes the real criminals might get off and then come back to murder the so-called "snitch".

Old 05-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It wasn't just that. Sometimes the way laws are set up. Back in the old days(and I mean far back in the old days, like around 1800), Blacks could be imprisoned for simply being in certain places. Fast-forward to the 1980's. Drug laws made criminals out of many African-Americans. You could be imprisoned just for having cocaine or crack on you(not selling or distributing, but simply having it) and the amount of time you spent in prison for it was equal to the time spent for molesting someone. If there was anytime crime in the African-American community went up sky-high, it was during the drug epidemic of the 1980's. Sure, alot of places were losing jobs and crime was increasing, but when crack got in the mix, that really shot things up. Here is a question: Why is it that you can find crack easily in many African-American communities and meth in poor, predominantly White areas? Why not the inverse? What caused the crime rate in Colombia to go up really high?
Cocaine and Pablo Escobar, and it happened around the same time period too. Hip-hop itself didn't lead the high rise in crime. If anything, it was a series of things of a series of events, many of the fueled by the love of money. Once crack and cocaine became extremely abundant in many African-American communities, social consciousness came to an end. It was all about the money. Some people got rich overnight by selling crack. People were getting killed over crack and other things. The drug epidemic turned already declining areas into very bad areas. How did cocaine get into many African-American communities?

Where has the "don't snitch" mentality come from? Abuse dealt by the police to many African-Americans in disproportionately high levels. To talk to the police was considered being a traitor because of this. The attitude was "once they deal with the neighborhood bully, they'll come for you next". Not only that, sometimes the real criminals might get off and then come back to murder the so-called "snitch".
Yes...drugs are the big link. No question about it. I would rather live in a gang infested area rather than a drug infested area.....although they are one and the same these days. Also....don't forget the rise in crime in Mexico directly related to drugs.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes...drugs are the big link. No question about it. I would rather live in a gang infested area rather than a drug infested area.....although they are one and the same these days. Also....don't forget the rise in crime in Mexico directly related to drugs.
That is very true. When alcohol was made illegal in the 1920's(aka Prohibition), this gave rise to alot of violence, and alot of gangsters. It made criminals out of many White people. If you were simply making alcohol in your home, you would be put in prison. You have people like The Purple Gang, Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, Bugs Moran, Vito Genovese, Bugsy Siegel, and other gangsters. Most of them were White. You also had the St. Valentines Day Massacre. Today you would call it drive-by shooting. After Prohibition laws were repealed, that made for a massive reduction in the crime rate among Whites.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
I don't believe it, you two actually offered up some reasonable responses. BRAVO!!!

Laws don't make criminals out of people, laws criminalize things that are bad for society and the safety of the population, people who make a conscious decision to break those laws, make themselves criminals.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I don't believe it, you two actually offered up some reasonable responses. BRAVO!!!

Laws don't make criminals out of people, laws criminalize things that are bad for society and the safety of the population, people who make a conscious decision to break those laws, make themselves criminals.
You still are not exploring why some people feel that they need to make these conscious decisions to break the laws...while others don't. Are some people simply less moral...if so...why?

Old 05-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Cigarettes are bad for society, alot worse than marijuana, but no one is criminalizing that. Alcohol got criminalized and it made criminals out of people.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:15 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I've always wanted to discuss and get more information on this subject, but I always felt "bad" about looking at it this way..but it seems like anything goes on City Data lol

I do ask this in just the.. nicest way possible?

When areas...cities, towns, etc..are majority of black/hispanic, it's typically a high crime/drug area. Why? How did this happen?

I'm sure we'll get some mean racist responses, lol, but I'm looking for truth to this. I understand there ARE crappy areas that are mostly white, but typically if an area is mostly black/hispanic, it's an area you do not want to be in

So, why and how?
Simple, because blacks/hispanics are prone to committing crime and doing drugs. I mean, isn't that the response you are looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates