Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Simple, because blacks/hispanics are prone to committing crime and doing drugs. I mean, isn't that the response you are looking for?
No ethnicity is "prone" to committing crimes. Your race or ethnicity isn't what is going to make you a criminal. Your actions(and in some cases, laws) are what make the difference. It isn't as "simple" as you would imply. The question is "what makes a person, of any race commit crimes?"

Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Cigarettes are bad for society, alot worse than marijuana, but no one is criminalizing that. Alcohol got criminalized and it made criminals out of people.

Funny, I've never seen anyones house burned down, or children killed because the fertilizer in their house exploded because they smoked cigarettes...

When prohibition was enacted, people had the choice to continue their path, or choose another, those that chose to continue, made themselves criminals. Laws don't make people criminals, breaking the laws (a conscious decision) does.

This thread sought to explore why high minority areas were so laden with crime. I haven't read one real post reasoning for or against it. Mostly a bunch of bs from both sides of the "the white man oppressed the blacks, so the white man is responsible for minority crime rates".

WHY is it that minority citizens are more prone to make poor personal decisions? Marijuana cultivation and sales have been illegal for longer than most of the people who break those laws have been alive, so guess what, the tired argument of "make it legal and they won't be criminals" doesn't fly, they already are criminals, and when that money dries up, they will move on to other criminal ventures. Criminal is a thug is a criminal is a scumbag, it's their choice, nobody forced it on them, nobody shook them from their bed one morning with a copy of the sunday paper and said "congress just made your occupation a crime".

Old 05-12-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Funny, I've never seen anyones house burned down, or children killed because the fertilizer in their house exploded because they smoked cigarettes...
When prohibition was enacted, people had the choice to continue their path, or choose another, those that chose to continue, made themselves criminals. Laws don't make people criminals, breaking the laws (a conscious decision) does.

This thread sought to explore why high minority areas were so laden with crime. I haven't read one real post reasoning for or against it. Mostly a bunch of bs from both sides of the "the white man oppressed the blacks, so the white man is responsible for minority crime rates".

WHY is it that minority citizens are more prone to make poor personal decisions? Marijuana cultivation and sales have been illegal for longer than most of the people who break those laws have been alive, so guess what, the tired argument of "make it legal and they won't be criminals" doesn't fly, they already are criminals, and when that money dries up, they will move on to other criminal ventures. Criminal is a thug is a criminal is a scumbag, it's their choice, nobody forced it on them, nobody shook them from their bed one morning with a copy of the sunday paper and said "congress just made your occupation a crime".
You haven't HEARD of houses being burned down, but it happens: http://www.usatoday.com/news/natihtt...garettes_x.htm

It can happen.

Aside from that, cigarettes are more deadly to your health than marijuana.
Well, why was marijuana made illegal? It was not made illegal because it was a "health" problem. The health issue was just a cover up.

As for why minority citizens are more prone to commit crimes, well, here is something you should ask: "What makes anyone commit a crime"? Why does anyone commit a crime in the first place? It isn't as simple as "they're scum" or something of that nature. If we can find out why, then maybe something can be done to make a situation where that isn't likely for it to happen. Have you ever thought about "WHY" Prohibition laws were in place? Have you ever thought about WHY marijuana was made illegal?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 PM

Variables Affecting Crime - Crime in the United States 2006 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/about/variables_affecting_crime.html - broken link)

There are a list of causes here. The fact that many of these causes affect minorities in higher proportions is something to think about.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes...drugs are the big link. No question about it. I would rather live in a gang infested area rather than a drug infested area.....although they are one and the same these days. Also....don't forget the rise in crime in Mexico directly related to drugs.
In addition to last time, here is a link that I think you might find interesting:The CIA Shipped a ton of cocaine into the US from Venezuela

Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 PM

221 posts, read 364,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Again...that is an observation that I am not necessarily refuting. I understand that you refute any an all explanations I provide as racist garbage. I accept that as your view. Now, again, what explains why blacks have a greater propensity for crime? You must have an idea of what the RIGHT explanation is, given that you feel qualified to say what explanations are false. However, neither you nor other OBSERVATIONIST will offer explanations. What are you hiding? I guess that answer would tell a little more about yourself than you would like to reveal to others...or yourself. I am sure you have nothing more to say other than more ad hominem....because you are pleading the fith here with our obfuscation, misdirection and fillibustering.....when not silence to the question before you.

Here's one I can think of from the FBI site:

"Family conditions with respect to divorce and family cohesiveness."

Is it not true that out of wedlock birth rates among blacks is 250 to 300% of the average.

So one explanation may be that black males don't stick around to be fathers?

Here's another:

"Cultural factors and educational, recreational, and religious characteristics."

True or false, schools full of black kids tend toward the gangsta "culture" and reject the education being offered? Don't many black "religious" leaders preach an anti-white and "Uprising" sort of culture? Heck there's even a black radio show over on the west coast called "Uprising".

So black "culture" seems to be another significant cause. And well, they say "culture is on the leash of genetics".

Look bottom line is, at least here in the U.S. blacks can go all the way to the white house, it's been demonstrated. They can be rich, famous, etc. See Oprah, Tiger Woods, et. al.

There really aren't too many "it's dem white folks" excuses left.

Sure, lots of whites don't want to mix. So what? Plenty of other groups don't want to mix with whites, LOL! Get over it. Not everybody is going to like or want to mix with everybody. Obese women tend to get short end of the stick quite regularly. Same as poor men, LOL!

Start teaching the black youth to go into school, take on the education being offered and do something about their economic situation, quit dreaming about being a Gangsta Rapper or NBA star unless they really have that level of "talent" and guess what, most of the problems will dissappear.

Of course that may be wishful thinking. Didn't Lawrence "LT" Taylor just rape some young gal?

You and Pirate_Lafitte are quite a pair. You need to quit embracing the chains, literally, of slavery and move forward. Slavery ended 150 years ago in the country. Civil rights was 50 years ago, there's now a black president. Wake up.

Or alternatively, go where it been a black majority all along, you know, Africa... I'm sure you've heard of it. And then report back on how wonderful it is.

Get with the times gentlemen. Making money in a legal way is where it's at. It's the answer you seek. Won't solve racism, might even fuel it a bit, LOL! But it certainly would improve the conditions. I know it'd fix everything about my life that's fixable.

Things that money and effort can't eventually fix are probably... intractable.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:03 AM

221 posts, read 364,795 times
Dude, learn to write in paragraphs.

Quote:
I have seen this list before. Your list is one-sided and frankly, it fails to take into account other factors.
It takes into account the most crucial factor. The residents.

Quote:
For instance, the safest areas are not crowded or poor. The 25 most dangerous cities, well, there are other complicated factors in this. Many of these cities were once heavily industrial cities, with alot of factory jobs.
Yes, and they were worse even when the money was flowing in. They got even worse when white flight occurred. White flight is a reaction.

Quote:
These jobs started to dry up. Once the jobs started going away the unemployment rate started going up. Poverty went up along with this. With this comes the rise in crime. The top 25 most dangerous also have some of the highest poverty rates in the USA as well. The fact that many of them have majority Black populations, well, how did those cities become majority Black? Here is the answer: White flight. It has been happening since the 1950's. Another factor to consider is the crack epidemic. Sure, Black neighborhoods became major retail areas for crack, but how did such persons get the cocaine to make the crack? Last time I checked, no one in the ghettos of America owned planes or ships. The crack epidemic led to a surge in violence. Drugs didn't get to the suburban areas you listed. Your list is also outdated.
So let met get this straight. When the whites left, these areas became more problematic. Case closed, I'd say.

Bottom line is, by all measures, for equal economic strata, problem rates are higher in the black community. Go do some research on Prince George's County.

Heck, research the whole world. Black = Problem almost universally.

Quote:
I recently did a project about race and crime in Atlanta,GA. Guess what I found with the data. Much of the crime that was found in predominantly Black areas existed in high poverty areas. Predominantly Black areas such as Cascade Heights had low levels of violent crime. Why? Cascade Heights is home to one of the wealthiest African-American communities in the USA.
Did you cross check those numbers with similarly affluent non-black areas? Being poor doesn't have to automatically lead to crime. You just have to accept living in less than attractive looking surroundings. Heck as the economy has bit my tail I'm living very, very austerely.

Quote:
Any crime that does occur there comes from the fact that this area is surrounded by some of the worst slums of Atlanta. I also found that there are some areas in Atlanta that are predominantly White and have high concentrations of violent crime.
How exactly do those numbers compare per capita to black areas?

Quote:
I live in metropolitan Atlanta, so I have an idea. So if your idea is to suggest that race has everything to do with it, forget about it. I know better. You say wherever there are Blacks = decline. Well, I can counterpoint that. A Black family moves into a predominantly White neighborhood, and a few families move out for "fear of sinking property values" or "fear of the 'scary' black man". Well, some of those families might sell their home at a loss and then anyone could get that property. In some cases, it could be a family who has no respect for their own property or has no class.
If market theory is correct, that free markets as a price finding mechanism reflect all that is known at the time of the transaction... then the consistency of property value loss when an area goes black says but one thing.

The market believes black = decline.

Those families with no respect that move in are generally... black.

So prove the market wrong.

Quote:
It isn't when the wealthy Black families move in that the trouble starts. It doesn't start with middle class families. It starts with families selling their homes far below market value just because a Black family or a few more moved in.
Yes, the the lower prices let more blacks come in and the crime rate skyrockets, the schools go to pot, etc. You know the chain of events.

Quote:
Another question to ask: Why is it that Cascade Heights, a predominantly Black area of Atlanta, can be a nice, safe place to live?
Why is it that you fail to look at the history of this nation? You seem to look at it as history has no bearing on the Black experience.
Why is it you and Indentured_Servant and many other blacks keep clinging to chains that were loosed 150 years ago as some sort of excuse, when there's a black president in the white house.

History is in the past. Learn from it. But get with the now.

The black community will stop being treated like lepers when they stop acting like lepers. Well, in reality it will probably take a little longer than that and be an uphill battle as people will need some time to actually believe it. Like it or not, you're going to have to prove the market wrong. (Or not, just emmigrate to Africa and be done with whitey.)

Probably won't happen in our life times. But then hey, they said the same thing about a black president.

Rather than whining about slavery and Jim Crow, which are both long over... why not get on with earning some $$$ and teach the black youth that are acting like monkeys in the schools to start aiming for the same?

Your people need a culture change, honestly. Glamorizing gangsta behavior isn't helping either.

Like it or not all the negative numbers surrounding blacks are under the control of blacks.

Violent crime? Stop doing it! Simple!

Out of wedlock birth rate? Ever heard of condoms? Geez you'd think this was Africa!

Aids Rate? See the above.

And stop with that crotch grabbing stuff, LOL! Everyone else's kids are picking up on it. LOL!

That's always going to be the end point of any of these analysis. That the changes have to come from within the black community. The non-black community has already changed. It started changing in 1860 with the Civil War. It changed again in the 60's. There are African American Billionaires for crying out loud. Get with the plan man. Or don't. Just don't expect flight from blacks to change as long as the black community remains the same.

It's as simple, and as difficult, as that.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:21 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
You won't get a straight, or even slightly curved answer, don't waste too much bandwidth..

Old 05-13-2010, 07:35 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
Here's one I can think of from the FBI site:

"Family conditions with respect to divorce and family cohesiveness."

Is it not true that out of wedlock birth rates among blacks is 250 to 300% of the average.

So one explanation may be that black males don't stick around to be fathers?

Here's another:

"Cultural factors and educational, recreational, and religious characteristics."

True or false, schools full of black kids tend toward the gangsta "culture" and reject the education being offered? Don't many black "religious" leaders preach an anti-white and "Uprising" sort of culture? Heck there's even a black radio show over on the west coast called "Uprising".

So black "culture" seems to be another significant cause. And well, they say "culture is on the leash of genetics".

Look bottom line is, at least here in the U.S. blacks can go all the way to the white house, it's been demonstrated. They can be rich, famous, etc. See Oprah, Tiger Woods, et. al.

There really aren't too many "it's dem white folks" excuses left.

Sure, lots of whites don't want to mix. So what? Plenty of other groups don't want to mix with whites, LOL! Get over it. Not everybody is going to like or want to mix with everybody. Obese women tend to get short end of the stick quite regularly. Same as poor men, LOL!

Start teaching the black youth to go into school, take on the education being offered and do something about their economic situation, quit dreaming about being a Gangsta Rapper or NBA star unless they really have that level of "talent" and guess what, most of the problems will dissappear.

Of course that may be wishful thinking. Didn't Lawrence "LT" Taylor just rape some young gal?

You and Pirate_Lafitte are quite a pair. You need to quit embracing the chains, literally, of slavery and move forward. Slavery ended 150 years ago in the country. Civil rights was 50 years ago, there's now a black president. Wake up.

Or alternatively, go where it been a black majority all along, you know, Africa... I'm sure you've heard of it. And then report back on how wonderful it is.

Get with the times gentlemen. Making money in a legal way is where it's at. It's the answer you seek. Won't solve racism, might even fuel it a bit, LOL! But it certainly would improve the conditions. I know it'd fix everything about my life that's fixable.

Things that money and effort can't eventually fix are probably... intractable.
Ok...now we are getting somewhere. Why don't black fathers stick around like white fathers?

Why do black people create "gangsta" culture while whites practice a "Civilized" culture?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,209 times
The answer is simple...

1. Lack of responsibilty among minorities.
2. Lack of intelligence among minorities, along with responsibilty, and respect (for themselves or anyone else for that matter).
3. Drug use.
4. Since of entitlement(especially the black community).
5. The whole mindset of "Boo-hoo...white people are the reason i'm lazy, poor, addicted to crack, etc."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates