Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 02:08 AM

221 posts, read 364,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

The condition of white people took a big leap forward when the left Europe and colonized the new world where “white” took on its meaning of “superiority” and that all others were to be seen as inferior. This is when white criminal behavior improved. It was not until they found the wealth of other peoples land and labor that it freed whites up to behave more “civilized” and “Superior”.
Here you go again with that "Whites stole the whole world" thing.

You convieniently forget that the whole world did the conquest thing back then. Spaniards were called "Conquistadores", LOL!

Somehow I also don't think the Neo-Nazi white supremacist culture had yet been spawned. (And ironically enough, the Nazis would have probably executed today's Neo Nazis as the Neo's are non-conformists. Nazi Germany was about nothing if not conformity to the state.)

And again, you want to talk about 100 to 400 years ago. Please come up to the present.

At present, any are that "goes black" goes down hill. That's the world of today, you know, where we currently are living?

LOL!

So if you're black, please tell us, why does black = decline? What are you doing about it?

Old 05-08-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Right.

Both the manager and assistant manager at my bank are black women. They're fantastic - both competent and friendly! Frankly, I'm around so many smart and successful blacks that I don't even really notice it any more. I take it for granted.

It's not genetics.
Well, we could argue that it's specifically the black male part of the black populace. I'd guess stats back that up.

As for it being genetic. No one is saying it's 100%, just that there may be a statistically significant genetic factor.

For example, sickle cell anemia is more common in blacks, but not every black has that trait.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
You are right; some places have more "crime" than other places. There are more crimes in a metro area than a rural area due to the disparity in population. Does that mean that urbanites have a greater propensity to commit crime? No.

There was a lot of crime committed on Wall Street, but that's a whole different discussion.

Hey Siobhan, love that name, LOL! Cool spelling.

That aside, I believe crime in dense areas is proportionally great as higher density leads to more and abrasive confrontations. That's an old observation. Alexis De Toqueville, in 1835 in his book "Democracy in America" said that he believed the only reason Democracy was working in America was that folks had enough space between them. He also accurately foreshadowed the Civil War and some of it's causes. Anyway, a classic read.

Urbanites may not have a greater propensity to crime, but their conditions may exacerbate that tendency.

As for the financial crime of Wall Street. Yes, I've often believed that whites, and perhaps, dare I say, it Jewish folks have a higher incidence of financial gaming.

So, depending on whether you consider "white" to mean all caucasians a la the U.S. Census or just to mean "Northern Europeans", you could claim that whites are more prone.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Actually it's not that simple.

I'll use Omaha for example...

Several years ago I had extended family who were MORTIFIED when they found out we were moving to North Omaha - a black area of the city. They, of course, tried their best to veil their racism by calling it "concern."

What they didn't realize is that there are several "black areas" of Omaha. There are some black neighborhoods where there's a lot of crime. But it's almost 100% gang & drug related - and that's not unique to any race. Then there are other black neighborhoods that are outstanding. I'm fortunate enough to live in one of them.

There are economic factors involved.
There are neighborhood expectations.
There are family dynamics that play a role.
There are cultural expectations as well.

Then we come to the all-important question of what there is to DO about these issues.
What to do about them.

Simple, figure out how to have ubiquitous wealth, and enough living space surrounding everyone.

It's as simple and as difficult as that.

To remove the reasons people compete and fight.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Again, we have cause and effect going on here.
I have a hard time believing that a persons skin pigmentation makes them more likely to shoot someone.

Let me try to help some of you out with some additional statements that are also "true" and then use logic errors to draw similar conclusions.

Most CEO's that have committed fraud and cost the public billions are white males. White males are inherently unethical and should not be put in positions of power, most likely a flaw in the genetics and pigmentation. How is that for a "dose of reality"?

Oh well, I'm going outside with my umbrella now because I see umbrellas when it rains and I want to make it rain.

I too doubt that skin color leads to a propensity to shoot. As one math guy to another, it's clear to me that correlation is not causation. But it is a good way to bet, LOL!

On the other hand...

There is research happening that seems to be indicating the very gene that cause red hair, leads to an increased sensitivity to pain and decreased effectiveness of anesthesia:

Study: Redheads' extra pain may cause fear of dentists - CNN.com

Old 05-08-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
yes, I see unbrellas when it's rains.

When researching cities/towns , I also see the crime index rates of a city higher if the percent of blacks is higher.

Seems many posters want to spend time explaining /justifying it and at the same time denying it.
Of course. It all depends on your relationship to the issue.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
you pedantic psuedo-intellectual types never cease to amuse me. Here's an idea, let's forget the "generalized linear midels" and just have you move into an urban area that boasts a majority population of either blacks or hispanics. Paractice the same types of security habits you do now in regards to your home, car, and person--and family memebers if you have any.
Then come back in a year and talk to us lowly cd posters who "lack the education or tools...."
i dare say that by that time, you too will be lacking something. I'll leave it up to you to figure out what. Use a statistical model! Lol.
+1

Old 05-08-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Well wise guy, 4 years ago I did exactly what you're condescendingly proposing.

We've had absolutely no problems of any kind. In fact, our only bad neighbor is an angry old white man who think the City killed his mom.

Next...
Well, with all due respect to Mathguy, that's too small of a sample space to be valid. LOL!

Old 05-08-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sweet, you just completely changed the argument. Nice straw-man.

What we are debating is whether it's because of RACE, not that impoverished areas have crime problems. (So, you are arguing a point I didn't make...lol)

As for pedantic psuedo-intellectual.....I've worked with statistical problems like this for a paycheck in the real world for 20 years. The "arguments" you guys are putting forth aren't even difficult, they are generally covered in lower level college stats classes (which I've taught).

I'm glad you don't need no fancy book learning to support your racist views. Frankly, I don't even care what you think on the matter (brick walls and all that) but if you want to try to draw some sort of "analysis" into this with your utter lack of ability to do so, I'm just going to PWN^infinity.
OK, so given your mathematical skills, let's be hypothetical. You're a white guy with white daughters. So do you *want* to move to the 'hood?

Math models or no, when it becomes personal folks are going to choose what's safe.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:14 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
What to do about them.

Simple, figure out how to have ubiquitous wealth, and enough living space surrounding everyone.

It's as simple and as difficult as that.

To remove the reasons people compete and fight.
Fat chance.
Or at least that is what I get told when I suggest that.

This quote seems to come into my head a lot

.......Agent Smith- "Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world, where none suffered; where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed that we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world, but I believe that as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. So the perfect world we dreamed, but your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from"...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates