Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It has more to to with out of control medical costs than trying to take people's freedom. Smokers and obese people are expensive to keep alive.

It has nothing to do with controlling medical costs. That is not a legitimate argument. If so, then it would be do not to hire women because the coverage for them comes at a higher price. Just because one smokes or is overweight doesn't dictate what future cost would be. If that were true, they would be forced to look at people with HBP or the medical history of the family, those carry more *weight* than where someone tips a scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Employers and liberty have nothing to do with each other. A man who pays you to do a job has a right to expect that you can and will do it efficiently, without disrupting the workplace.
BINGO

I'm painting the exterior of a rental house right now. It would be absurd for me to hire somebody that is so morbidly obese that he cannot stand up, let alone get on a ladder. It's not due to hatred, but to the fact that he simply could not do the job.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:35 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"First the employers came for the smokers. Now they're talking about not hiring obese people. Your personal struggle or lifestyle choice may be next."

Is It Okay to Fire People Who Smoke or Are Obese? | | AlterNet

Further erosion of liberty?
No. Private employers have always been allowed to hire and fire whoever they wanted without having to give a reason. This isn't news.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:39 AM

25,759 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
BINGO

I'm painting the exterior of a rental house right now. It would be absurd for me to hire somebody that is so morbidly obese that he cannot stand up, let alone get on a ladder. It's not due to hatred, but to the fact that he simply could not do the job.
You're cherry picking. It wouldn't make sense for me to hire an 87 pound walking skeleton to work on the oil rigs in north Alaska during a 50 below arctic winter either, would it?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:43 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
BINGO

Someone who is truly morbidly obese wouldn't even attempt to go for such a job. I don't think that is a fair comparison, unless you are one who is of the mindset that 2 % body fat is now morbidly obese?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,657,870 times
Jtur. So you agree that just because someones
religion says they need to pray to Mecca
six times a
day they should
not be allowed extra
breaks as it costs the company money?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Jtur. So you agree that just because someones
religion says they need to pray to Mecca
six times a
day they should
not be allowed extra
breaks as it costs the company money?
I'm going to find a religion in which work is considered sinful according to my cleric's interpretation of the scriptures. Then I can make the government force employers to hire me, and I won't be required to do anything at all in the shop.

If a person is a member of a religion that requires six breaks a day, he is not suitable for assembly line or other cooperative environment jobs. He can train himself to do a job in which the breaks are not disruptive to the workplace.

There are Muslims playing NFL football and NBA basketball. I don't recall see the officials calling a prayer time out. Funny how when a Muslim is paid several million dollars a year, stopping work to pray slides down the list of on-the-job priorities. When Sandy Koufax refused to pitch on Yom Kippur, the World Series went right on without him. Should the series have been postponed until he was ready?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-19-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 12:39 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"First the employers came for the smokers. Now they're talking about not hiring obese people. Your personal struggle or lifestyle choice may be next."

Is It Okay to Fire People Who Smoke or Are Obese? | | AlterNet

Further erosion of liberty?
I am also in agreement that this has nothing to do with liberty.

People's lifestyles have always been called into question for employment. Educators have to be extremely careful of where they go, what they do, and whom they associate with. Sexual orientation may also come into play.

Further, this group of people, especially in primary and secondary education, will leave work and then have to go home and grade papers and adjust lesson plans or create new ones and further their education on their own dime. They may have to attend school functions on top of this. They will definitely attend meetings.

All of this must occur even if the educator has children, or a spouse with an illness, or is going through a divorce, or smokes or is obese, or has a book they just want to read. This one job decides the quality of life that one may have.

Now, when everyday people who are employed anywhere face obstacles or did face obstacles at one time, the mental health records can be checked into. This, I believe, keeps people from seeking help that they may truly need. This also occurs when looking at someone's personal financial history.

This is beyond smoking or obesity.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You're cherry picking. It wouldn't make sense for me to hire an 87 pound walking skeleton to work on the oil rigs in north Alaska during a 50 below arctic winter either, would it?
Nope. And that's the whole point.

Nobody should be forced to hire somebody who cannot do the job.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Someone who is truly morbidly obese wouldn't even attempt to go for such a job. I don't think that is a fair comparison, unless you are one who is of the mindset that 2 % body fat is now morbidly obese?
So what is your argument? And why are you assuming things about what I believe constitutes morbidly obese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates