Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
According to this study...75 to 90 percent of all women in prostitution were sexually abused as children. )
Please be sure to get your cause and effect right. If women were free to enter into prostitution as a reputable career, it would attract women who are not emotionally and psychologically traumatized in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
The encouragement/promotion of degradation and exploitation toward women (whether consenual , immediately harmful, or not) , is always a wrong . Legalizing it doesnt make it 'right' .... the same that 2 people having a consensual affair on their spouses doesnt make the act correct.

Only in a morally twisted society , such as America today, would such an act be deemed permissable (from willfully suppressing ones own moral conscience).
Morality is a fluid thing. In America of yore it wasn't as big of stigma to have to show your wife who was boss....pow, zoom...straight to the moon. You also had those wonderful "colored" facilities. Then there would be that whole suffrage thing.

I stick to the timeless definition that if two people want to do something of their own free will and not hurting anyone or infringing upon others then I'm not going to impose my will on them.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And 70% of men have been lured to spend money on women where there is litle or no affection involved. How much does the average date cost?

Please be sure to get your cause and effect right. If women were free to enter into prostitution as a reputable career, it would attract women who are not emotionally and psychologically traumatized in the first place.
The 70% number is ALL women, not just prostitutes.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
70% of women have been raped? | media girl

I've seen the statistic before, that more than 70% of women have been raped, or sexually abused in their life.

Personal experience has shown this number to be pretty close to accurate. Most women won't openly talk about this, even if asked. However, if you have been around them for long enough, and they trust you, they'll usually end up telling you about some cousin, uncle, or a boyfriend that went to far when she was to drunk, and thats just the tip of the ice berg.

Since I believe that most women have been raped or sexually abused, and most women don't become prostitutes, then your assumption would be wrong. Just because someone is sexually abused, doesn't make them more prone to conduct in sex for money. The fact that most women have been sexually abused at one point in time, means that more prostitutes would have had this done to them.
I highly doubt this % unless you really open up the definition. For example, I knew a nutjob in college that claimed that if you had sex with a girl that had been drinking it was rape. I pointed out to her that based on such logic my girlfriend had raped me on several occasions. She became quite irate at that point....I suspect she had ACTUALLY been abused and as such had some mental issues. I rather felt sorry for her.

Now, if you expand the definition to be like...I was sitting on the bus for a band trip and this guy copped a feel...or my boyfriend got too "handsy" then yeah...70% seems more reasonable.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:11 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Quote:
As I said to the other poster - what I quoted was a statistic. You are free to use it or interpret it as you will. As for me, I've made no assumptions, nor offered any opinions as to the cause of prostitution, what's good or bad about it, and whether or not it should be legal. I will leave that and any further analysis of cause and effect up to you good people.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
In Melbourne, Australia, it is widely held that the majority of all practicing prostitutes are girls working their way through college. In such an environment, it is also likely that a very large number of college girls has at least occasionally turned a trick.

There is a huge difference between desperate crack-skanks flashing on the street in the red light disrict, and professional women working from home with respectable clients who pay well for custom services. Anybody who tries to classify both into a single general category has insufficient understanding of the dynamics to be participating in this discussion.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:44 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
70% of women have been raped? | media girl

I've seen the statistic before, that more than 70% of women have been raped, or sexually abused in their life.

Personal experience has shown this number to be pretty close to accurate. Most women won't openly talk about this, even if asked. However, if you have been around them for long enough, and they trust you, they'll usually end up telling you about some cousin, uncle, or a boyfriend that went to far when she was to drunk, and thats just the tip of the ice berg.

Since I believe that most women have been raped or sexually abused, and most women don't become prostitutes, then your assumption would be wrong. Just because someone is sexually abused, doesn't make them more prone to conduct in sex for money. The fact that most women have been sexually abused at one point in time, means that more prostitutes would have had this done to them.
The current statistic is that more than 1 in 4 females will be sexually abused/assaulted sometime in their lifetime. A shocking amount.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Morality is a fluid thing. In America of yore it wasn't as big of stigma to have to show your wife who was boss....pow, zoom...straight to the moon. You also had those wonderful "colored" facilities. Then there would be that whole suffrage thing.

I stick to the timeless definition that if two people want to do something of their own free will and not hurting anyone or infringing upon others then I'm not going to impose my will on them.
Its not 'a timeless definition' ; up until the Post Modern era began, morals and values were seen as a virtue instead of an infringement to ones hedonistic entitlement. Lastly, immorality of the masses ALWAYS hurts the perpetrators, others, and a nation at large. No, morality is not a fluid thing --- suppression of ones moral conscience is a fluid thing.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
In Melbourne, Australia, it is widely held that the majority of all practicing prostitutes are girls working their way through college. In such an environment, it is also likely that a very large number of college girls has at least occasionally turned a trick.

There is a huge difference between desperate crack-skanks flashing on the street in the red light disrict, and professional women working from home with respectable clients who pay well for custom services. Anybody who tries to classify both into a single general category has insufficient understanding of the dynamics to be participating in this discussion.
How is the college girl scenario not an example of degrading oneself for financial gain (regardless of the goal) ? Or , do u agree it is ?

Old 08-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Its not 'a timeless definition' ; up until the Post Modern era began, morals and values were seen as a virtue instead of an infringement to ones hedonistic entitlement. Lastly, immorality of the masses ALWAYS hurts the perpetrators, others, and a nation at large. No, morality is not a fluid thing --- suppression of ones moral conscience is a fluid thing.
Morals and values have always shifted. I gave several examples. This is why I adhere to a simpler code of consent and non-harm which does follow a moral conscience.

Is it ok if I have multiple wives? You know...like oh....King David?
How about slaves?
What about hanging out with prostitutes? Do you know where the term "hooker" comes from?
How about forcing a religion on people at sword point to save them?

Would you care to address a specific example? I find talk about the good-old-days of morality rather nauseating in that those days were in many ways worse as you educated yourself about life in that period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates