Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,651,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, they won't form a solid Theocracy.

What has been done, by politicians, is to play your fears and common thoughts in order to get political gains.

Look at the Bush administration. They pushed to have gay marriage amendments onto the ballet in 2004, in Florida and Ohio. You might think that this was because they so adamantly were against gay marriage, however, this couldn't be further from the truth.

If they could have gotten ahead in the race being for gay marriage, they would have done so. However, they knew that people who classify themselves as Evangelical Christians would come out in droves to get a gay marriage ban passed. Those Evangelicals voted 2 to 1 for Bush, and they knew that to. So, he ends up winning the election by a small margin.

Thats what they are doing to y'all, and thats what they continue to do now.
Actually I agree with pretty much all of this. The Constitutional Amendment thing was such an obvious ploy even some Christian conservatives were skeptical. Even on the state element it seemed like a ploy to me.

Cheney was certainly not against same-sex marriage at all. As far as I can tell his obsession is the extraction industries (oil, gas, coal) and national security. And also whatever would serve his power. Not that he's unique, manipulative Machiavellian-types are often drawn to politics. To be honest I'm tempted to think that a truly decent Christian conservative type would find politics vaguely repellent and get involved in it only with reluctance or not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 05:20 AM

250 posts, read 414,702 times
In short, it's ok for Party A to tell Party B how they can live their lives until Party C tells Party A how they can live their lives..then it's Party A's turn to complain.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:13 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,360,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
In short, it's ok for Party A to tell Party B how they can live their lives until Party C tells Party A how they can live their lives..then it's Party A's turn to complain.
Well in that case maybe party C should start telling party A how to live their lives. If it means an end to all the stuff they do then I will gladly sign up to do so.

I dont condone telling anyone how to live their lives and long as it doesnt hurt anyone(besides maybe the person doing it). But if by me telling someone how to live their life, stops them from telling someone else how to live their lives then I'll do it, until they stop.

So, basically we need to start a campaign to stop public displays of religion. Make it illegal to display any form of religion. Make all holidays go away, and all marriages done by a church must be disolved by the same church, which means no divorces.

Yeah, I dont see that happening any time soon. Why, because supposably religion doesnt hurt anyone in any way, which is a lie. Religion does in fact hurt people in various ways. It makes poeple lie about who they are and what they want to be. It makes people disown family and friends if they do things that go against the church. There are more but this post is long enough.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:15 PM

7,970 posts, read 26,771,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Well in that case maybe party C should start telling party A how to live their lives. If it means an end to all the stuff they do then I will gladly sign up to do so.

I dont condone telling anyone how to live their lives and long as it doesnt hurt anyone(besides maybe the person doing it). But if by me telling someone how to live their life, stops them from telling someone else how to live their lives then I'll do it, until they stop.

So, basically we need to start a campaign to stop public displays of religion. Make it illegal to display any form of religion. Make all holidays go away, and all marriages done by a church must be disolved by the same church, which means no divorces.

Yeah, I dont see that happening any time soon. Why, because supposably religion doesnt hurt anyone in any way, which is a lie. Religion does in fact hurt people in various ways. It makes poeple lie about who they are and what they want to be. It makes people disown family and friends if they do things that go against the church. There are more but this post is long enough.
Wow. Yet another idiot atheist rant - doubly ironic due to the fact that atheism is, itself, just another religion. This has to go down in the books as one of the most ridiculous, unintelligent posts ever offered here. Big surprise.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Wow. Yet another idiot atheist rant - doubly ironic due to the fact that atheism is, itself, just another religion. This has to go down in the books as one of the most ridiculous, unintelligent posts ever offered here. Big surprise.
First of all I am not religious. Also, did you not pick up on the sarcasm?

I am not atheist, I am not anything but me. I dont believe in fairy tales.

Also, If religion is so good and innocent then why do they protest to stop various groups from being able to do what they want when it does not involve them? How does two people of the same sex wanting to get married and have the same rights and any other married couple, have anything to do with religion? It doesnt, but because the bible says its wrong, they take things to far and try to prevent it from happening. How is this not wrong?

Old 08-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
First of all I am not religious. Also, did you not pick up on the sarcasm?

I am not atheist, I am not anything but me. I dont believe in fairy tales.

Also, If religion is so good and innocent then why do they protest to stop various groups from being able to do what they want when it does not involve them? How does two people of the same sex wanting to get married and have the same rights and any other married couple, have anything to do with religion? It doesnt, but because the bible says its wrong, they take things to far and try to prevent it from happening. How is this not wrong?
You're so blind to your own bigotry and arrogance that you are unable to identify it, and stop it, aren't you? You're exactly like my uncle who always said stuff like, "I don't hate no nig*gers! Really I don't!"

Old 08-26-2009, 07:33 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,287,460 times
Personally, I don't believe that God dislikes homosexuality. If he made you as you are, then he made you gay. trying to change that is like trying to get plastic surgery, its not what God wants. It's been proven in every study by non-religious scientific organizations that homosexuality is not a choice, you are born with it. I say stop reading so far into it and just let people be who they are. I think gay people would be some of the best christians if it weren't for the church shunning them so much.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
Personally, I don't believe that God dislikes homosexuality. If he made you as you are, then he made you gay. trying to change that is like trying to get plastic surgery, its not what God wants. It's been proven in every study by non-religious scientific organizations that homosexuality is not a choice, you are born with it. I say stop reading so far into it and just let people be who they are. I think gay people would be some of the best christians if it weren't for the church shunning them so much.
Actually, unless I'm missing something, it sounds to me as though many churches are perfectly happy to have gays coming. And I think Metropolitan Community Church - or some such name - is actually a gay church.

I guess if I were gay, and wanted to go to church, I'd just stay away from those few that hate gays.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,287,460 times
I'd rather that all churches wise up to the facts here, but I guess I'll just have to wait it out and hope that all my fellow parishoners here in the Catholic faith will come around sooner or later.

In general, I can just see future generations looking back and using the shunning of homosexuals as another arguement against the catholic church once being gay is as accepted as other types of diversity like race and gender. It makes me think and pray a lot.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Actually, unless I'm missing something, it sounds to me as though many churches are perfectly happy to have gays coming. And I think Metropolitan Community Church - or some such name - is actually a gay church.

I guess if I were gay, and wanted to go to church, I'd just stay away from those few that hate gays.

Be careful, your ignorance is showing. Your joking right? I only know of one church that openly excepts homosexuals in its ranks and it isnt a homosexual ran church. Most Churches do not except homosexuals, they dont allow them to hold key positions in the church and if they want to get married, the churches ban together to stop them. Or did you not pay attention when California voted on the same issue twice all because of religious groups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates