Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,417,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
do you realize how ignorant it is to categorize all christians as uneducated, ignorant, arrogant, and self-rightous? I respect your right to be Athiest, and i would not support any law requiring citizens to become Christians, so I resent such a statement. However, people utilize religion as a way to maintain order within society, and for the most part is does a decent job. Every once in a while it draws a line in the wrong place, or people yell too loudly about it, but in general, it is a huge part of our moral backbone in a good way.

I do not think you represent all atheists, so I will assume that your statements are your own. I tend to believe that Athiests are in general fine with religion as long as it doesn't actively try to convert them. I think that is a good way to be.
Just out of courisousity, do you support the current National Motto and/or Creationism/ID in public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,282,274 times
I support teaching the theory of evolution, as long as it is promoted as a theory, and that is made clear. I don't think teaching the story of Adam and Eve should be taught in public schools unless it is made clear that it is a religious theory to children.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
Quote:
I support teaching the theory of evolution, as long as it is promoted as a theory, and that is made clear. I don't think teaching the story of Adam and Eve should be taught in public schools unless it is made clear that it is a religious theory to children.
I've never been to a biology class where they started the day teaching "The law of evolution".

Its not a law, and any scientist will say this. Its a good theory, one thats widely accepted. Here is a good read for anyone who dismisses Evolution just because its a theory. It breaks down the difference between Theory, Fact, and Law fairly well.

"Consider the well-known phenomenon of gravity. First, there is a fact of gravity. While we cannot actually see gravitational force itself, we do observe the effects of this force every time we drop something. There is also a theory of gravity that addresses the question of how this force we call gravity really works. While we really don't know how gravity works, there are theories that attempt to explain it. Finally there is the well-known law of gravity. This law, first formulated by Isaac Newton, a Bible believing Christian and creationist, is a mathematical equation that shows a relationship between mass, distance and gravitational force. So in summary, a scientific fact is an observable natural occurrence; a scientific theory is an attempt to explain how this natural occurrence works; and, a scientific law is a mathematical description of this natural occurrence."

Is Evolution a Theory, a Fact, or a Law?

Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,282,274 times
Pope John Paul stated that the theory of evolution was compatible with the bible. I'm absolutely fine with it, as long as it is stated as a theory. nice post by the way.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:55 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,835,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Okay I am so sick of people who are all about stopping the homosexual community from getting married and even having relationships with other homosexuals. How are they hurting you or anyone else by getting married or having a relationship with someone of the same sex?

If you cannot answer this question then you have no reason to pester these good people anymore. So go back to your bibles and close-minded lives and leave them alone.

My only real problem with homosexuality is the need of some of it's practicioners to force me to embrace it. I personally find it distasteful but I recoginze that it is none of my business what other people do behind closed doors. So do it, but don't make me watch. That is why gay marriage and PDA is a problem to me. I don't like to be forced to watch something I find disgusting.

And BTW, my bible makes better toilet paper than reading, especially when I'm traveling the world, where TP usually sucks or is non-existant. There is no country outside of the US and maybe western Europe that is more gay friendly than here. Be greatful for that at least.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
My only real problem with homosexuality is the need of some of it's practicioners to force me to embrace it. I personally find it distasteful but I recoginze that it is none of my business what other people do behind closed doors. So do it, but don't make me watch. That is why gay marriage and PDA is a problem to me. I don't like to be forced to watch something I find disgusting.

And BTW, my bible makes better toilet paper than reading, especially when I'm traveling the world, where TP usually sucks or is non-existant. There is no country outside of the US and maybe western Europe that is more gay friendly than here. Be greatful for that at least.
I've heard this argument before.

It partially makes sense because some homosexuals feel they have to flaunt their sexuality to prove a point. You know, gay pride parades where some guy is running around with jeans with holes in each cheek, that kind of thing.

However, this is generally in reaction to the bigotry they face on a normal day. If homosexuality is accepted as a societal norm, radical behavior will drop significantly. This has been proven in the past, with womens lib as part of an example. Some women went crazy in their attempts for equal rights, and they were always pointed out by those against them as the reason why women shouldn't have rights.

I'm not certain where the line is, when bigots are the problem, or the flamboyant idiots are the problem, I'm sure there is a gray area where both can equally coincide.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,835,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm not certain where the line is, when bigots are the problem, or the flamboyant idiots are the problem, I'm sure there is a gray area where both can equally coincide.
I think you are right. The answer is often somewhere in the middle.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Thing is, Evolution isn't just a "theory", any more than gravity is just a "theory.

Evolution is a "proven theory".

And I'm sorry to say that Creationism/ID isn't a theory, it is religious myth, ie a religious based story unsupported by facts.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

Mind illustrating how Equality of Marriage is forcing to to accept and/or "watch" or embrace gays?

Old 08-27-2009, 05:01 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,354,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've heard this argument before.

It partially makes sense because some homosexuals feel they have to flaunt their sexuality to prove a point. You know, gay pride parades where some guy is running around with jeans with holes in each cheek, that kind of thing.

However, this is generally in reaction to the bigotry they face on a normal day. If homosexuality is accepted as a societal norm, radical behavior will drop significantly. This has been proven in the past, with womens lib as part of an example. Some women went crazy in their attempts for equal rights, and they were always pointed out by those against them as the reason why women shouldn't have rights.

Odd that it is okay for someone to hold a church rally proclaiming God, the bible and Jesus is okay, but as soon as someone has a gay parade or gay pride day it is wrong...Religion has flaunted its goods infront of millions of people for centuries...Black people had their days to, as soon as they where made equals that all stopped.

Chango, do you have a problem with a straight couple PDA? or Straight marriage? How about religious weddings in the park, or church picnics where they very publicly talk about their religion? If you find any of these things okay and do not practice them yourself, does that not make you a hypocrite? To say some people and groups can do it but no others is wrong and goes against everything this country was about.

If Homosexuality was made a religion, then the government could not do anything about it and it would be protected under the constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates