Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,746,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
How do I do this?
It's pretty simple. All the cowardly atheists do it, because it beats the heck out of actually having to stand up for yourselves, or put up with the kind of crap you spew out at others.

Byebye coward!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,358,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's pretty simple. All the cowardly atheists do it, because it beats the heck out of actually having to stand up for yourselves, or put up with the kind of crap you spew out at others.

Byebye coward!
The only reason I want to ignore you is because you are a troll, you are not debating the issue at hand, instead you debate a different subject. You cant handle someone elses take on your beliefs and so you insult them and call them names. I have not once called you names or insulted you. I have simply called out what religions do on a daily basis, but you are obviously so corrupted by them that you are blind. I bet you grew up in the south didnt you?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,285,291 times
actually, I've heard of this in many places. In fact I believe the Lutheran church just had a ruling on the subject in favor of the homosexual couple interested in joining the clergy if I'm not mistaken.

If someone is against homosexuality I'd like to discuss it with them. I have yet to hear a reasonable arguement against it.

-the bible says homosexual relations are sinful
it also says eating pork is sinful, but we kinda dropped that. Plus, the church is run by human beings, it can be wrong from time to time. I think this is an example of that.

-its not natural, its a bad life choice.
there are no reputable scientific studies to back up the claim that it is a choice, however, there are several that suggest that it is genetic, or something that one is born with.

I dunno, I just don't get the logic once people start using facts. There's just no leg to stand on. I know you gotta back your God, but don't you think it is possible that we as Christians have misunderstood what God truly wants of us? Is it more important to shun people who want to love those they are attracted to? or to be inclusive of our fellow man and all praise God together on what really matters?

For the record most religions are built off of a foundation of love and compassion, but some people shout over those messages, and distort what the church truly stands for. We can all get along, but we need to have a conversation of mutual respect and refrain from prejudice.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,746,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
actually, I've heard of this in many places. In fact I believe the Lutheran church just had a ruling on the subject in favor of the homosexual couple interested in joining the clergy if I'm not mistaken.
I think that was only one branch of the Lutheran Church - I believe it was the ELCA.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I think that was only one branch of the Lutheran Church - I believe it was the ELCA.
that sounds about right.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
You're a hateful anti-religious bigot who is also a hypocrite, because you cannot handle people doing to you what you do to everyone.

Grow up.

But more likely, just go ahead and put me on IGNORE - aka, stick your head in the sand. You really won't be missed.
You have not heard a word I have said. I dont care what anyone does as long as it does not hurt anyone but the person doing it. If you want to be gay, be gay. If you want to beleive in a God that has not proof of existence, believe all you want. If you want to cut yourself, cut yourself. If you want to smoke marijuana all day, do it. If you want to drink an bottle of hard A or an 18 pack of beer all day, go ahead. You can do all those things and I dont care as long as your habit/beliefs do not infringe on mine or hurt me.

If you want to be gay one day and not the next, I dont care. If you want to be pray to a God one day and a devil the next, I dont care.

The only time I begin to care is when your beliefs begin to infringe on my own. When you start to pass laws or lobby to have things done because a bible that you believe in and I dont, that is wrong.

No one is better than another, I dont care if you are comparing the pope to a drug addict, they are both equal. All that is different is that they grew up differently. They are both still human and still fall under the same basic human rights, which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

The problem I have with religious folk is that they will do anything to make their belief system the only one. If they could pass a law saying that everyone had to go to church and that all business where closed on Sundays they would. If they could bring back the prohibition they would. They dont care what the outcome of their actions are as long as they are met.

I am yet to meet anyone who believes in a God that lives a live and let live lifestyle. They may claim to, but there is always something that they will defend using religion, the bible, or their God.

If I was to start a religion that worshiped Ninkasi is the Sumerian goddess of brewing and beer. Then try to pass a law the stated everyone had to brew and drink beer, people would have a hay day. If I was to pass any law that was in anyway related to my religious beliefs, I would be in the wrong. But for some reason it is okay for the christian faith to try to impose laws that seek to control what people who do not share the same beliefs.

You are the most arrogant, ignorant, bias, bigoted piece of work that I have ever seen. You do nothing but argue with others so that you can get a rise out of them. You seem to have no life or to be a retired lawyer. Because the only people I have met on here that are just like you are all inbred, illogical, and undereducated in the ways of people.

You cant stand that someone might not believe in a God that cant be proven to exist, so you attack them left and right. You call them names and insult them on every turn. FYI- there are people out there that do not believe in any form of religion, they dont believe in any make believe gods and are perfectly happy.

I bet while you read this you will have a grin on your face, thinking that you are right, or that you have proven some point. The only point that you have proven is that you are the most uneducated, ignorant, arrogant, self-righteous people alive.

I have to admit after reading this post...I am no better than you. We both believe in two different things. Which is acceptable. I do agree with you on some things. but when it comes to religion can we just agree to be different and leave it at that.

I will raise the white flag just to shut you up. So please can we just except that not everyone is the same and that no person, law, or organization should be allowed to control people when those people arent hurting anyone but themselves(if that)?

Last edited by fractured_kidult; 08-26-2009 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 PM

do you realize how ignorant it is to categorize all christians as uneducated, ignorant, arrogant, and self-rightous? I respect your right to be Athiest, and i would not support any law requiring citizens to become Christians, so I resent such a statement. However, people utilize religion as a way to maintain order within society, and for the most part is does a decent job. Every once in a while it draws a line in the wrong place, or people yell too loudly about it, but in general, it is a huge part of our moral backbone in a good way.

I do not think you represent all atheists, so I will assume that your statements are your own. I tend to believe that Athiests are in general fine with religion as long as it doesn't actively try to convert them. I think that is a good way to be.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
do you realize how ignorant it is to categorize all christians as uneducated, ignorant, arrogant, and self-rightous? I respect your right to be Athiest, and i would not support any law requiring citizens to become Christians, so I resent such a statement. However, people utilize religion as a way to maintain order within society, and for the most part is does a decent job. Every once in a while it draws a line in the wrong place, or people yell too loudly about it, but in general, it is a huge part of our moral backbone in a good way.

I do not think you represent all atheists, so I will assume that your statements are your own. I tend to believe that Athiests are in general fine with religion as long as it doesn't actively try to convert them. I think that is a good way to be.
Where did I say that Christians where uneducated? Actually I find most to be really smart, but sadly most use their intellectual for the wrong things. I am sorry but Religion is not responsible for our moral backbone. That is like saying that if it wasnt for religion we would would not be where we are today. If you did say that you would actually be right, just not in the way you want. Religion is actually responsible for alot of scientific downfalls. The dark ages where labeled the dark ages because no scientific breakthroughs came from that time. Science was labeled as magic and deemed evil. Some people still believe it is evil. Science has created some bad things, but so has religion. But Science has contributed more towards humanity than religion ever will in a positive manner. Science is like the human mind, it adapts, changes and evolves. Religion, does not.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 PM

first off, I'd like to apologize for accusing you of stereotyping christians if that was not your intent.

However, Religion changes a lot. It just changes slower than science. every Christian denomination that is not Catholic is an example of Christians changing their definition as time progressess. Religion is supposed to evolve, just not drastically. There are basic things that religion will not budge on.
Killing is wrong, stealing is wrong, you know, the basics.

I don't for even a second think that Science is evil or bad. I just think that it needs to co-exist peacefully if it expects organized religion to do the same.

In the end, organized religion is run by humans, and they make mistakes just as scientists do. Science at one point told us blood letting was an effective medical procedure, before it corrected itself. Religion once was used as a method to encourage slaves to work harder, before slavery was abolished, and it was revealed as the true evil that it was.

We all make mistakes, but that doesn't mean a higher power doesn't exist just because we have the occasional incompetent human running the show, and it doesn't mean science is useless just because it can guide us in the wrong direction from time to time. we can get along here, I don't need you to believe in God, as long as you don't mind that I believe in him.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,317,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
<SNIP>

Personally, I don't get the attraction to get married if you're gay. There are legal doctuments you can draw up giving anyone you want the power of a spouse.
Coming in late on this thread so I am quoting from pages back... but I just want to respond to this to point out that even if ALL the rights and benefits of marriage could be "arranged", to do so properly, for most people, DOES require legal services.

I'm curious as to why I should have to pay an attorney thousands of dollars for legal protections for me and my same-sex partner when it could all be had for the $65 (thereabouts) cost of a marriage license if same sex marriage was legal?

Quote:
This is what you wrote: "200 years ago people thought that masturbation would lead to severe diseases."

I'm curious where you got that information, because I've never heard it. So either you have some evidence of that teaching, or you just made it up, correct?
I am not the original poster who made the comment about masturbation, and I realize that was quite a ways back in the thread, but this is pretty common knowledge for anyone with knowledge of human sexuality through history. It's bugging me to let it go.

I just took a Human Sexuality Psychology course, Sophomore level (nothing obscure or too specific about it), that goes into all of this in detail but I "knew" about these anti-masturbation teachings even as a teenager. Who hasn't heard the jokes about "going blind"? It's even mentioned in a Cyndi Lauper song. Well I guess unless you are under 20 then maybe you've been spared that sort of thing? I know it's how my mom was raised for sure, and most of her generation (she was born in '42).

Masturbation was, in the past, rumored to cause blindness, ulcers, epilepsy, mania, hysteria, insanity, sores on the palms, acne, and many other horrible things, often leading to death! One of the methods for discouraging masturbation was by circumcision and without anesthetic; it was thought that the painful experience would keep a young male from wanting to to touch anything down there! An 1850's doctor performed a number of clitoridectimies () in the belief that it would stop women from any of this sort of behavior and therefore save her from certain death.

As a side note, the guy responsible for the graham cracker's invention (Sylvester Graham) was one of these anti-masturbation crusaders who believed nutritional components could reduce sex drive. The Kellogg (as in the cereal) guy was in on it too. No lie. Look it up.

I'm not going to do the research for you, it's out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates