Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 02:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,752,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
That happens ALL the time to sooo many women. Your single experience is nothing compared to that, and I honestly doubt that all gay men want is to hit on straight men.
To use that experience as an excuse to be against gay men is pretty weak.
I'm uncomfortable--but I see no reason not to let them live the way they want to. There's a difference between "discomfort" and "hate".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Holding hands is not unacceptable. The assertion is ludicrous.

eta: If you travel, you must cringe when you go to airports with all those loved ones greeting eachother with affection.
I don't travel, but I don't feel affection needs to be shown in public. That's for the privacy of your own home.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:07 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,358,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't travel, but I don't feel affection needs to be shown in public. That's for the privacy of your own home.
Affection should be kept in the privacy of homes? Affection comes in all shapes and sizes my friend. Would you rather we all be numb to affection in public and show no affection, concern or care for others? I think it is exactly the opposite, affection should be encouraged in public, think of all the abusive relationships we have these days. If affection in public was the norm and encouraged, this would brobably decline. Yes, intimate sexual affection should be kept in your own home. But affection towards another human being is natual, that is like saying you cant greet someone. You know flirtation is a form of affection? So is greeting a stranger as you pass.

SO, no affection should be very public. We need more affection, we need more displays of love for one another, and I dont care who is doing it. To see a couple holding hands, wispering into eachothers ears, laughing, smiling, and kissing is great. There is no greater thing than affection. However, I am a romatic and this does not seem weird to me.

Affection is the expression of care, love, and kindness. How is this wrong?

Two straight men high fiving at a ball game or out enjoying a beer with eachother is affection.

I dare anyone to show me how affection is bad? How does PDA hurt anyone? If it is simply a matter of it grossing you out or making you feel uncomfortable, then maybe you need to get intouch with who you are. I know who I am do you?

Old 08-30-2009, 03:16 PM

I am someone who isn't comfortable with displays of affection...and I don't display it myself. I don't like shaking hands or laughing and joking with other people.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I am someone who isn't comfortable with displays of affection...and I don't display it myself. I don't like shaking hands or laughing and joking with other people.
I feel sorry for you. I really do. To not know the sensation that comes from laughter or the gentle touch from another human being is no way to live. For a person to not share laughter or a smile with another human being in person is to never experience true happiness.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:42 PM

I think of myself as fairly content. I enjoy being separate from others.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,246,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I feel sorry for you. I really do. To not know the sensation that comes from laughter or the gentle touch from another human being is no way to live. For a person to not share laughter or a smile with another human being in person is to never experience true happiness.
It's natural for most of us. lol j/k

Old 08-30-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I think of myself as fairly content. I enjoy being separate from others.
separate is one thing, but you sound cut off. I genuinely am concerned for you, if you ever want to talk about random crap PM me anytime.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:50 PM

18,271 posts, read 14,478,104 times
Quote:
It sounds like your parents messed you up a bit. At first you said it was just gay men showing affection in public, but now it seems that you don't want any affection being displayed at all between anybody. That's weird. Laughing and joking is what this world is all about. If you don't have that you are missing out on some feel good time. Perhaps a counselor can help you explore why you are so uncomfortable with having a good time. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 PM

Just in public--I don't care what people do in the privacy of their homes. Gay, straight, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates