Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
The facts show that cell phone/texting causes more deaths than DUIs.
Could you provide some support for this?
I seem to recall reading that drugs\alchohol cause something like 4-5k vehicle deaths a year in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I know several people that are more than capable of driving just fine while talking on a hands free headset. Others are incapable of the multi-tasking.

To that point, I'd prefer to let people have the freedoms to make these decisions for themselves and then reap the rewards\penalties that are related to them. There are existing laws that deal with people that operate a motorvehicle in an unsafe fashion.
and i know some people that can drink a 5th of vodka and drive home without a problem, that doesn't mean i think drinking and driving is okay also
and the problem with your rewards/penalties comment is that you affect others. while i don;t WANT there to be control of using phones while driving, time after time i have see the results of idiots and their phones and wish there WAS a solution.
laws don't spontaneously appear for no reason, they are reactions to incorrect REPEATED behavior

now i hate when people use extreme examples, but it bears asking- if a person using a cell phone gets into a car accident and kills the other driver, what did that dead driver reap but death? all because some suburban dingleberry couldn't wait to get home to tell her idiot neighbor about what she saw on true blood last night

Old 09-10-2009, 01:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Read the studies that have been posted. There is in fact a big difference between talking on the phone (with or without a hands-free device) and talking to a passenger.
Many of those studies don't indicate what type of device they are using. Is it wired? Was the phone capable of voice dialing?

None of those questions have been answered in those studies. Phones over the last two years have made leaps in hands free technology.

Not to mention the fact that all of those studies show that texting is far more dangerous than the talking on a phone is. Like I said, everyone wants to lump texting and talking in together, and there is a huge difference in the two.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:55 PM

it doesnt matter how many more deaths talking on a phone causes- 1 percent more is unacceptable to me

Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
Quote:
Many of those studies don't indicate what type of device they are using. Is it wired? Was the phone capable of voice dialing?
Clearly you did not read the studies as they did indicate what sorts of devices were used.
Quote:
Phones over the last two years have made leaps in hands free technology.
Doesn't matter. The problem is not with the technology, it is with the brain and the way that it processes conversations while also processing spatial information.
Quote:
Not to mention the fact that all of those studies show that texting is far more dangerous than the talking on a phone is. Like I said, everyone wants to lump texting and talking in together, and there is a huge difference in the two.
The studies I have read did not even address texting (which is obviously outragous), but compared talking on a hand held versus talking on a hands-free versus driving while drunk versus driving while unimpaired and undistracted. They addressed the common arguments that it is just as bad as listening to music (not true) or talking to a passenger (also not true).

Old 09-10-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
it doesnt matter how many more deaths talking on a phone causes- 1 percent more is unacceptable to me
More than 1% of all deadly auto accidents are caused by teens, should we not allow any teenager to drive?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Clearly you did not read the studies as they did indicate what sorts of devices were used.

Doesn't matter. The problem is not with the technology, it is with the brain and the way that it processes conversations while also processing spatial information.

The studies I have read did not even address texting (which is obviously outragous), but compared talking on a hand held versus talking on a hands-free versus driving while drunk versus driving while unimpaired and undistracted. They addressed the common arguments that it is just as bad as listening to music (not true) or talking to a passenger (also not true).
Show me these studies if you please. I looked at all of the studies early on in this thread, but I quit posting after page 3. I simply don't have the time to look through the entire thing.

I saw one link that said "hands free device" and another that said "wireless hands free device" but that is a huge statement. There are many different versions of each one of those.

All of the studies showed didn't put talking on a hands free device anywhere close to as dangerous as drunk driving. I know people don't like others talking on the phone while driving, but common sense tells me that talking on a hands free kit, while driving on the interstate in low traffic is dangerous.

I take personal responsiblity to hang the phone up when I get into traffic, or when I'm to busy to talk. I'd tell someone in the car to shut up in the same situation.

Thats the point, its personal responsiblity. If you can't do it, then don't do it. If you have an accidnet because you can't do it, then its your fault, not the phones fault. We already have laws on the book about irresponible driving, and police can, have, and will inforce that for someone doing something stupid while on the phone.

I don't want my rights taken away, because some idiots can't handle driving responsibly.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
More than 1% of all deadly auto accidents are caused by teens, should we not allow any teenager to drive?
well for one thing we can;t prevent people from being teens, smoking, drinking, using a cell phone is a behavior

secondly, i don't know how they do things in your neck of these woods, but here we have age limits for a reason.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
well for one thing we can;t prevent people from being teens, smoking, drinking, using a cell phone is a behavior

secondly, i don't know how they do things in your neck of these woods, but here we have age limits for a reason.
We prevent 14 year olds from driving. So why not prevent everyone from driving until they are old enough to be responsible enough to drive.

16 year olds have a high rate of deadly auto accidents, much higher than 1% of all accidents. Maybe we should make it 17.

Like I said, its about responsibility. If you are a responsible driver, then you should be allowed to drive. If you aren't, you should be fined, and if you do it enough you should have your license taken away. Its that simple.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We prevent 14 year olds from driving. So why not prevent everyone from driving until they are old enough to be responsible enough to drive.
obviously some states chose an arbitrary age. frankly, why stop at 16? why not 30? you gotta draw the line somewhere
cause we both know more than one accident is caused by some incompetent adult
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates