Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times

Advertisements

heh
From John Oliver, about Obama:
"Will we get the change that we forced him to promise us?"

When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

I don't really consider Obama a genius, he is a politician--a gifted man, but just a man.
He has a tough gig.
He has made both good and bad choices.
I wish he would straddle less, and be a bit pushier.
But true change is a process.
It simply doesn't happen overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I am an Obama supporter and I expect the numbers to gradually pick up. Although, he may not have hit bottom yet.
Honest question.
If there is nothing done on healthcare and we still have a significant troop presence in Iraq....will you vote to re-elect him?

These two issues plus the economy are why a lot of people voted for Obama. They were MAJOR campaign promises and he has the house and senate so no excuse there.

How he progresses on these will in my opinion be the major driver of his approval ratings. I can't see myself voting for him again if he fails on all 3.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Based upon your analysis every President had the wheels fall off their presidency.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:41 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Based upon your analysis every President had the wheels fall off their presidency.
No, only the ones he doesn't like.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What does that graph mean?
It can't be an approval rating...with partisanship in our country the way it is I can't see ANY president getting over 80%. So, I see Bush jr. at 90% and am a bit stunned.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:17 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
mathguy the over 90% approval rating for Dubya was right after 9/11. The same is true for the elder Bush and look at Truman's ratings. It seems we have a affection for War since most are popular at the height of conflict.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:27 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Two Syrian nationals were transferred from the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba to Portugal as part of the Obama administration’s effort to relocate detainees.
Two Syrians Sent From Guantanamo Bay to Portugal (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

Quote:
Palau offered in June to take 13 detainees from the Muslim Uighur minority as part of President Barack Obama's plans to close Guantanamo. But some were hesitant because they feared the island state could not shield them from China.
The Associated Press: Palau deal close for Uighur Guantanamo detainees

They are accepting more than 4 but less than 11.

2 are going to Ireland, France will also be accepting some.

Quote:
The former Guantánamo Bay terror suspects have been given permission to work at Port Royal as it prepares to host the PGA Grand Slam of Golf in October.
The Royal Gazette (http://www.royalgazette.com/siftology.royalgazette/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7d982af30030003&sectionId=60 - broken link)

Shhh! Nobody look at what has been done.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:03 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
I'm an independent who voted for Obama. I'm not happy with his performance thus far, BUT given the same choices ( McCain vs Obama ) in an election today, I'd vote for him again in a heartbeat. He is, in my my mind, still the far lessor of those two evils ( McCain & Obama ). Even my FIL, a lifelong Arizona Republican who knows McCain personally voted for Obama.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:58 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
No, only the ones he doesn't like.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:01 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Despite the inevitable crying by a few of the die-hards, the point of this thread is the surprise of it all.

Given the Obama-mania of this past year, I'm very surprised by this. And I'm not just talking about approval ratings.

I'm talking about the fact that Obama now has that "deer in the headlights" look. It's as though he's shell-shocked, in disbelief, and has no clue what to do now.

Personally, I sense that his, "The police acted stupidly" comment ended up taking a HUGE toll on his Presidency - in some strange ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates