Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times

Advertisements

I actually think he should have, to some extent, ignored MORE campaign promises, not fewer. He should have followed what was happening and worked on fixing financial regulation as a top priority, since there was a public appetite to do so. I'd rather that healthcare and financial regulation, or environmental/climate change bill and financial regulation where the 2 bills making their ways through. With the president bully pulpit being used to primarily push through the financial regulation.
Great presidents use the times to push through great changes. This was a missed opportunity.
Of course, its still far too early. We'll see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:10 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Hey, I will give them time, I'm not unreasonable but the 180 they seem to be pulling on Iraq is very discouraging. What are your thoughts specifically on their position regarding Iraq before and after the election?
.................................................. ................................................

Its a drain. We should never have been there in the first place and I've ranted at George W. Bush for years for starting the thing.

Its probably the only issue that could cause me to turn against Obama. I agree we can't leave overnnight. However, there had better be big troop withdrawals soon.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:56 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The prison is slated to close in 2010 per executive order.

However, there are still grave concerns over just *what* to do with some of the guys. In general, I view the move positively but it shows what a difficult conundrum it is and in some ways is a stall tactic. What will happen to some of these guys in 2010?
Some states were willing but congress blocked them. 229 total and 80 have already been cleared and released. Trying to get them accepted into countries seems to have initially been a controversy. Specifically, with the Chinese Uighur due to China having stated that no other country should accept them. That is at least underway.

This, however, I am very wary of:

Quote:
Moreover, the administration is trying to determine the fate of the 98 Yemenis held at Guantanamo. Officials, wary of repatriating them to a country U.S. officials view as ill-equipped to monitor their activities, say they are negotiating with Saudi Arabia to take them.
And this I definitely do not like:

Quote:
Of the detainees whose cases are still under review, a majority are Yemeni. Some of those, such as Ramzi Binalshibh, an alleged co-conspirator in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, will almost certainly be prosecuted or held in some form of indefinite detention if the administration creates a system for prisoners who it believes cannot be brought to trial but are deemed too dangerous to release.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081903801.html

Evidence is something one has or does not have. Indefinite detention is not ok.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Who said anything about FoxNews? I never watch it, but by mentioning it, your underwear is showing.
Hey, don't bother answering any of the more important questions in the post.

As an aside, when you dropped your panties I thought you were giving me the heads up sign it was ok to drop mine.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Hey, don't bother answering any of the more important questions in the post.

As an aside, when you dropped your panties I thought you were giving me the heads up sign it was ok to drop mine.
Actually, anybody that throws out the phrase "Faux News" has absolutely no credibility at all. You're no different than my nephew who is always talking about "Obammunism."

You've ignored any substance in favor of trite, overused phrases you heard on the radio. Therefore, you have absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

Try again.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Actually, anybody that throws out the phrase "Faux News" has absolutely no credibility at all. You're no different than my nephew who is always talking about "Obammunism."

You've ignored any substance in favor of trite, overused phrases you heard on the radio. Therefore, you have absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

Try again.

No more jokin' around with you. Lost all the respect that I had for you in one shot.

I'm not going to sit here and just trade insults. When your ready to do more than that, let me know.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No more jokin' around with you. Lost all the respect that I had for you in one shot.

I'm not going to sit here and just trade insults. When your ready to do more than that, let me know.
You need to grow up.

You also need therapy. Anybody that is filled with as much bigotry and hatred as you obviously has some problems. You're no different than the hateful old homophobe that's always yelling about "gd homos, this!" and "gd homos, that!" And, like that angry old homophobe, the only person who takes you seriously is you.

PM me if you need me to send you some suggestions regarding professional therapists in your area. I can probably offer some recommendations.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 PM

What bigotry and hatred?

Your being daft.

Oh, no wait......I didn't agree with you. That's right.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
From the OP: "The Wheels Have Fallen Off The Obama Presidency"
The wheels have fallen off of America a good while ago. This country is not going anywhere, except maybe backwards. Progress is a dirty word in America. The whole wheelless vehicle is just sinking deeper into the muck. Those who hate Obama believe they have all the answers, but they don't.
Enjoy yourselves! God Ble$$ America!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
From the OP: "The Wheels Have Fallen Off The Obama Presidency"
The wheels have fallen off of America a good while ago. This country is not going anywhere, except maybe backwards. Progress is a dirty word in America. The whole wheelless vehicle is just sinking deeper into the muck. Those who hate Obama believe they have all the answers, but they don't.
Enjoy yourselves! God Ble$$ America!
Well... Problem is that those who worshiped Obama believed he/they had all the answers. "Change We Can Believe In."

Looks like it wasn't as simple as slogans and sound bytes.

Obama may very well have been the better of the two major candidates. But anybody who was so foolish to say stuff like, "When he's President I'm not going to have to worry about making my car payment, and paying rent..." was expecting what is simply not possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates