Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 AM
ttz ttz started this thread

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times

Advertisements

OK I'm back for some debate fun!

I was floored when I ran into this article:

MichaelMoore.com : Books + Films : Stupid White Men : Online Chapters : Part 01

It is amazing that lighters and matches are allowed on planes. Especially after the Richard Reid incident. (terrorist who tried to light his shoe bomb on plane)

Quote:
FROM THE ARTICLE: A young man walks up to Michael Moore and tells him: "I work on the Hill. The butane lighters were on the original list prepared by the FAA and sent to the White House for approval. The tobacco industry lobbied the Bush administration to have the lighters and matches removed from the banned list. Their customers (addicts) naturally are desperate to light up as soon as they land, and why should they be punished just so the skies can be safe?
The lighters and matches were removed from the forbidden list.
It's amazing that they would put Tobacco addicts needs above the safety of everyone else. All so they can "light up" in record time when they get off the plane. God forbid they walk over to a nearby store in the airport and purchase another 99 cent lighter... The ~9 hours of withdrawal was simply too much, why prolong it any more???

Big tobacco at work on the Hill!

AMAZING!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Speaking of dangerous articles, I bet I could serrate the edge of a credit card so it would cut the jugular of a flight attendant with a single swipe.

So what is the point of restricting nail clippers?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:31 AM
ttz ttz started this thread

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So what is the point of restricting nail clippers?
No kidding, which can cause more damage to a plane and compromise the safety of passengers. A nail clipper or a bic lighter?

Old 09-22-2009, 03:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
The last time I flew out of West Palm Beach International Airport in Florida, a jar of my mother's homemade vegetable soup was confiscated. I was unable to determine how this constituted a terrorist threat, but thank heavens the security of all the passengers on that plane was in good hands. "Put down that spoonful of soup or we'll shoot!"

Old 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post

It is amazing that lighters and matches are allowed on planes. Especially after the Richard Reid incident. (terrorist who tried to light his shoe bomb on plane)

It's amazing that they would put Tobacco addicts needs above the safety of everyone else. All so they can "light up" in record time when they get off the plane. God forbid they walk over to a nearby store in the airport and purchase another 99 cent lighter... The ~9 hours of withdrawal was simply too much, why prolong it any more???

AMAZING!!!
Or their $25 engraved Zippo that they were given as a gift?

Old 09-22-2009, 04:37 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:

AMAZING!!!
The following rant isn't directed at you (mostly) and ignores the simple fact that Moore is an a**hat and a media w**re whose credibility rank on par with Limbaugh.

Our "airpane safety" is a joke, a poor attempt at humor at that. For far longer in the history of flight the US skyways have "been in danger" despite highjackings of US aricraft and aircraft abroad. After 9/11, everything changed tho.

Hysteria.

The one word sums it up perfectly.

It is more than inconvinient to fly, WITHIN THE US, than merits the false sence of security, the lame attempts by our elected Officials to make it appear that they are actually doing SOMETHING.

I have to travel with a cane now, prolonged sitting combined with altitude change makes my arthritis flare quite painfully. I STILL have to remove my shoes at the "security" checkpoint and put my cane through the X-ray. Every time I visit family that's spread all over the States, and Canada, I have to purchase extra soaps and deoderants (I have my preferred brands) in a particular size. (Any lobbying there from soap manufacturers, perhaps?) I also find using other people's nail clippers disgusting, so I had to purchase clippers, with case, for each family member's abode.

I'm just glad all my kids, and granddaughter, are well out of the formula stage!

There has been NO effort to "make us safer", we lurch from calamity to calamity, blindly, hysterically, with no thought involved at all.

Lighters and matches? Hell, when I moved out to Vegas in the mid 1980's, my three black-powder rifles and two cap-and-ball pistols where "checked carry-on". I took them on the plane, in both directions, and the flight attendant put them in a small closet thingie behind the cabin door.

"Times change"? No, they do not. Highjackings have been occuring for many decades, the first recorded aircraft hijacking happened on February 21, 1931 in Arequipa, Peru.

Times have changed only in the Politics of Hysteria, ineffective, even counter-productive, do-nothing laws and regulations that simply do not effect or impact important functions.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:26 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:

AMAZING!!!
Whats absurd IMO is that you cant bring whatever you want on an airplane. If a couple citizens had guns or even bats 9/11 would have never happened. Dont say much for us when a few lunatics with box cutters can do what they did.

On another note only an inept idiot would try to use a flame actuated bomb on a plane. The ones we need to fear will push a button from their seat or even on the ground to blow up a plane.

Personally I couldn't care less if people have lighter, knives & guns on a plane. Micheal Moore is an immoral opportunistic jerk that's getting rich off the gullibility & wimpyness of the American liberal.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Maybe you should check your lighters at the door, that way you can get it back when you are getting off the plane.

The fact is, we live in a society where people move around freely. Look at the drug trade, its estimated that 95% of all illegal drugs shipped to this country, actually get in. We've been at the war on drugs for decades. We can't even begin to inspect all cargo getting into our country.

Part of living in a free society, is living with the risk that some insane person can hurt you.

9/11 will never happen again, simply because if people are on a plane while someone is trying to hijack it, they will fight them. 9/11 happened because folks didn't know what the terrorists were planning on doing. They thought that they would be held for ransom, or some kind of prisoner exchange probably. Thats why flight 93 wen tthe way it did, the people found out what was happening.

However, if someone is willing to give up their own life, in order to take yours, there is very little you can do to stop them.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
=

However, if someone is willing to give up their own life, in order to take yours, there is very little you can do to stop them.
You can always set them on fire with your lighter and buy some time.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 PM

332 posts, read 772,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Whats absurd IMO is that you cant bring whatever you want on an airplane. If a couple citizens had guns or even bats 9/11 would have never happened.
Normally I'm against gun restrictions, but I think guns on an airplane is a bad idea, except in the hands of trained professionals. Somebody who is untrained might inadvertently depressurize the aircraft.

In the case of lighters, the only uses I can think of in-flight are (1) to light a bomb, and (2) to light a cigarette. It's not like a lighter can be used in self-defense. I see no reason to allow them onboard, and a very good reason to ban them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates