Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That too, yes. Real people make many more mistakes when they speak, for instance because while they are talking they notice they have to change the sentence and thus grammar often gets in the way
It's, like, really difficult to follow along when people, you know, change their sentences in midstream. Plus, they, how shall I put it, insert commas all over the place, where none actually belong. I mean, you know what I'm trying to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 PM

324 posts, read 572,652 times
I agree. What about the people who think faster than they can speak?? I have that problem continuously and so I don't make coherent and complete sentences at times. It doesn't mean I'm stupid, Although, I'm sure people are inclined to assume I'm stupid. Oh Well. I'm also usually nervous when I speaking to someone new so I am more likely to NOT make sense.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
I agree. What about the people who think faster than they can speak??
That is a common excuse, I guess with most people it is the other way round

Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
I agree. What about the people who think faster than they can speak?? I have that problem continuously and so I don't make coherent and complete sentences at times. It doesn't mean I'm stupid, Although, I'm sure people are inclined to assume I'm stupid. Oh Well. I'm also usually nervous when I speaking to someone new so I am more likely to NOT make sense.
Almost everyone thinks faster than they speak, just as they speak faster than they write. A way to deal with tripping over your own words is to take a deep breath, think about what you are going to say beforehand, speak a little more slowly and listen to yourself as you talk. If your mind is doing one thing and your mouth is doing another, you're more likely to "disconnect." If you practice really listening to yourself, your speech should improve.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I am very tired of the trend in language today where the words ever, actually, ironically, um, and of course like are so overused. It is to the point where the words have lost their true meanings.

First the word ever, as in best ever is just getting out of hand. Radio and TV ads have people using this phrase ad nauseum. "We have the best sandwiches ever" for example. Why limit yourself by making such a proclamation? Life continues to evolve, and there will be more great experiences. At least I hope so. So stop with the ever.

Sentences are continually started with um, actually or ironically. The usage is always incorrect and unnecessary. In the case of um, it just makes you sound dumb.

In regards to like, this is always ridiculous. I was like, Im like, it's like. come on people! You either are or you are not. Enough of this nonsense! Learn to speak!
shouldn't that be Correctly

Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I'd be satisfied with just some basic proofreading. It's appalling that people and businesses put themselves out there with poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Do they not realize how it makes them look?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Everybody thinks much faster than they can speak. You look out the window and in a few seconds, you can see what it might take an hour to describe in speech, and much of what you see cannot be described at all, which is why only a very tiny number of people are successful writers.

That's not what this thread is about. Language is a code, which is mutually understood by a group of people who can use it to communicate ideas to each other. The gist of this thread is the idea that so many of us have so little interest in mastering this code in such a way that ideas can be communicated effectively.

The ideas are always far more complex than the code, so it required a certain effort to simplify the ideas into the limited framework of the language. A language has a finite number of verbs to express an infinite number of shades of actions. So the art of language is to use the words in constructive ways to make the idea as realistic as possible to another person.

Think of words as being Lego blocks. If you want me to know that you are making a horse, it is hard to do with only 20 Lego blocks. To make me a Lego horse, you need two things. Lots and lots of Lego blocks, and considerable practice to develop the artistic skill of forming them into a shape that represents the horse you want me to see. Without those two things, it is very unlikely that you will successfully communicate the idea of your horse to me.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'd be satisfied with just some basic proofreading. It's appalling that people and businesses put themselves out there with poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Do they not realize how it makes them look?
I have seen businesses using messy Babelfish translations on their websites

Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have seen businesses using messy Babelfish translations on their websites
I have bought products using messy Babelfish translations in their instruction manuals.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 AM

142 posts, read 205,730 times
Wow, some of us are doing just about as well as we can with it. I grew up around people speaking terrible English. I've tried my darnedest at doing better, but no miracles have happened yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates