Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The Congressional Budget Office has studied various ideas. Its believed that if we levy a tax of 35% against the "cadillac health insurance plans" I've mentioned in previous posts, we'd raise about $50 billion a year. This combined with taxes on tobacco and those households earning $250,000 or more per year should net another $30 billion a year. The rest of the savings about $10 billion could be saved by a few administrative reforms to Medicare and Medicaid streamlining billing and such.
Once those taxes on the "cadillac plans" take effect, the tax revenue will quickly fall off. Between people that simply opt to not go with those plans due to the increased taxes and the "new plans" that could dodge the taxes while the government audits them to find out if they are cadillac plans... if we are depending on more than 55% of that $90 billion on those revenues. Ultimately, the tax shortfalls on the cadillac plans will lead to tax increases on those making less than 250K.

While the cost estimates could be way off, I'm more concerned about the quality of care.

Consider that currently Medicare pays less for treatments than many other private insurers do. Doctors simply have to take those payments and offer treatment. Sometimes the doctors are accepting 50% less for their services and treatments rendered.

Some might feel that this means that doctors are simply overcharging for their services. While their might be some truth to that, doctors start their career 10+ years later than most other professionals, come out of college saddled with hundreds of thousands in education debt, have ridiculous high insurance premiums to cover sue-happy patients, and are on the clock nearly 24/7 for emergencies.

No one in their right mind would accept a position such as that without proper compensation. One factor that drives "the best" to the medical field is the promise of excellent compensation. Universities, medical schools and teaching hospitals weed out the non-hackers. They weed out the candidates that would be more prone to prescribe conflicting medications, that could sever some artery during a critical emergency procedure, and that would misdiagnose patients.

What happens to the failures? I have no idea. But, when there is a shortage of doctors because the next generation of prospective medical students switch their subjects of study to a more monetarily rewarding career, those "would-be failures" will now populate our doctors' offices; misdiagnosing us, improperly prescribing medications and slipping up with their scalpels.

Note that I said one factor. I'm sure that many doctors love what they do and are just glad that they are paid handsomely for it. But, we are all human. Take away the pay and there are only so many "Mother Theresas" out there willing to do a thankless job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 12:33 PM

240 posts, read 537,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If you can pay for alcohol, cable tv, Internet access, cell phones, a personal computer, etc., then you can afford health care insurance but choose not to pay for it.

.................................................. ..................................................

Not necessarily. I spent one evening the hospital emergency room about 5 years ago for a kidney stone. Treatment included a CT scan, x-rays, blood work, IV pain medication etc. Total bill was $3,400 inclusive of radiologist's separate bill. This was run up in about three hours.

That's one helluva lot of cell phone usage, internet access, personal computer, liquor, and cable tv. Let's assume the following for the bills mentioned: $80 per month for cell phone; $25 for internet access; personal computer $800; Liquor $100 per month; and cable t.v. $50 per month. That's a total of $1055 for a month. Its less than a third of what I was charged in three hours.

Do you think if I hadn't had health insurance that I should have had to stand there groaning in pain with my kidney stone while they all refused to treat me? Before you answer yes, I think you should go through the experience of having one.

I SAID health insurance, not paying the bill out of your pocket! And, yes, I had major surgery in February, spent four days hospitalized, total out of pocket for me was $500.00 for co-pays, surgeon and hospital. My family plan health insurance costs me $215.00 per month......

Reading comprehension goes a long way.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:26 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
I SAID health insurance, not paying the bill out of your pocket! And, yes, I had major surgery in February, spent four days hospitalized, total out of pocket for me was $500.00 for co-pays, surgeon and hospital. My family plan health insurance costs me $215.00 per month......

Reading comprehension goes a long way.
.................................................. ................................................

So, I'm trying to get where you are coming from. Is your position that everyone out there can afford health insurance? I can tell you it isn't affordable or obtainable for all. If one has a chronic illness or a major medical condition there is virtually no health insurance that will accept that person because of the risk involved. What do you suggest these people do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates