Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 04:56 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Assuming you are correct in that you turned out allright,would you admit the possibility of having turned out even better had you had a father?

The good is the enemy of the best.
Depends on your definition of "better" and it depends on the father. What would me being "better" entail and how do you think my having a father would influence that? Currently, I'm very happy, I'm finishing up my Master's degree and getting ready to go abroad, I have good friends and family and I think I'm a good friend and daughter in return. I really doubt having a father figure would have changed me all that much unless he had been abusive. Perhaps it's uncommon in this society but I am thrilled with my life and happy with the way I am. A Leave it to Beaver nuclear family isn't required to be "the best" but, I admit, it probably makes life a bit easier.

Note: I'm not saying I'm "the best", but I do think I'm pretty damn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 05:35 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Depends on your definition of "better" and it depends on the father. What would me being "better" entail and how do you think my having a father would influence that? Currently, I'm very happy, I'm finishing up my Master's degree and getting ready to go abroad, I have good friends and family and I think I'm a good friend and daughter in return. I really doubt having a father figure would have changed me all that much unless he had been abusive. Perhaps it's uncommon in this society but I am thrilled with my life and happy with the way I am. A Leave it to Beaver nuclear family isn't required to be "the best" but, I admit, it probably makes life a bit easier.

Perhaps he would have taught you that pride is the greatest sin, and does indeed go before the fall.

Good Luck !

Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,642 times
Quote:
Perhaps he would have taught you that pride is the greatest sin, and does indeed go before the fall.

Good Luck !
oh well, god forbid people work hard to make something of their lives and be proud of it.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
oh well, god forbid people work hard to make something of their lives and be proud of it.
Yes, it is indeed God, he expects you to be grateful for it and not proud.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Yes, it is indeed God, he expects you to be grateful for it and not proud.
No, the only thing He ever expects is for you to kiss His ass. If you don't, you'll suffer eternal torment in His loving forgiving charitable revenge.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:

That's right, I wouldn't change my single-parent upbringing at all, it made me the strong, smart, future successful person that I am today. Congrats on finishing up your masters, I'm currently finishing up High School lol.

Rep Points Earned .

Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
I think it's important in emotional development to have a father figure present. That doesn't mean that it has to be a biological father, but someone who can at least be available when needed.

I missed my father terribly when I was a child and he wasn't around. I think I see the effects of that today as an adult. That's not to say that I wouldn't be the same if he were in my everyday life though.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:53 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
From observing my young nephew grow without the presence of an alcoholic father, I am on the side of it's not crucial. He has an influence on his son, but the time spent with him is at least (or I hope it is) while he's not under the influence. My nephew is well adjusted and happy with this arrangement.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
From observing my young nephew grow without the presence of an alcoholic father, I am on the side of it's not crucial. He has an influence on his son, but the time spent with him is at least (or I hope it is) while he's not under the influence. My nephew is well adjusted and happy with this arrangement.
Obviously ,one would assume that any reasonable person would know the pro-fathers arguements assume that all is "everything else being equal.""

You don't know the real facts till their elder years folks.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:17 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
If the father is an abuser, wouldn't you be better off with his abuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates