Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:34 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Show me one example of a black hate crime against a white person purley because of the color of his skin.
In case you forgot: Lynching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I can. My brother, sister and I were bused (as were other white students) to an all black middle and high school from our middle class white neighborhood in the 80's. They wanted to "integrate" the black schools to even the playing field and increase their district ratings. My brother was mugged by black students almost daily. He didn't dare carry even a dime on him. He had to wait until he got home (3:30 PM) to eat lunch every day. My sister and I were groped daily by black males to the point where we couldn't walk down the halls to get to class. We made friends with two black guys in wheelchairs (ten speed and brown shoe were their names) she got on one lap and I got on the other and they would wheel us down the hall to our class. The last day of school, black girls brought Nair (hair remover) to put in our hair because they were jealous. Fortunately, my mom allowed us to stay home because of it. White girls that I knew were beaten, raped and tormented on a regular basis. We had to go all day without using the restroom and one white kid was found dead on the roof of one of the buildings. If those were not hate crimes I don't know what is. This took place in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

I would like to say that I am not bitter about the experience. Some of my good friends are black and I don't hold ill feelings toward them because of the way I was treated by their race. Love is color blind.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,808 times
Quote:
Those guys were arrested,prosecuted, and served time. And it was other black folk that helped him.
Reginald Denny incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Remember....you asked for a racially other on white racially modivated criminal example. Here is one. It happens. You were denying. I was providing proof to the rhetorical question you asked. So not everyone in the riot was racist but the ones who attacked him, regardless of the fact that they were prosecuted for it or not, were.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Show me one example of a black hate crime against a white person purley because of the color of his skin.
In case you forgot: Lynching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You have responded to people's examples by pointing out that the perpetrators were tried and convicted. Fine. Your challenge was simply to come up with an example where a black-on-white hate crime occurred at all. You said nothing about a hate crime where the criminal(s) went unpunished.

In any case, the issue of punishment is a separate question. The examples given are just a few of the better known and more notorious incidents that show that there are cases where whites are the victims of hate crimes committed by minorities. Such incidents do happen. Even if perpetrators are sometimes, or even often, punished for their crimes, it is still a problem if, as the OP claims, minority offenders are charged less often than white attackers whose victims are non-white.

The links below connect to articles about another black-on-white crime committed because of the victim's race. This is about the 1990 murder of a Northeastern University student in Boston. There was racial ugliness going both ways, as the murder victim at one point yelled "N's!" to the four young black men beating him. However, this occurred after they were already attacking him. As one of the perpetrators testified, the victim was picked at random for a beating because he happened to be the first white person the four attackers encountered on an evening when they went out onto the streets, again according to one attacker's testimony, with express intent to "get" the first white person they saw.

Witness: Defendant said slur incited stabbing of Belmore | Article from The Boston Globe | HighBeam Research

Murderer's plea leaves family cold - Dedham, MA - The Daily News Transcript

By the way, in addition to criticisms of the whole idea of "hate crime" laws that have already been offered, I am against the whole idea of having such laws because they move too far into the direction of thought policing. If someone beats up another person, charge the perp with battery, or whatever other crime fits the particulars of the actual act committed. Punishing the perp for a separate category of "crime" for presumably having been motivated to commit the SAME act as a result of attitudes that meet with societal disapproval essentially means that the government of the United States of America, the supposed land of the free, has gotten into the business of punishing people as criminals for their thoughts. This is a scary reality, and not something any government should be involved in, no matter how odious most of us might find the thoughts in question.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Sydney gang rapes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 AM

392 posts, read 559,754 times
White people have not been discriminated against as people of color have been. Nor have they had crosses burned in their yards or been dicriminated against by the powers thet be as people of color have. People of color are discriminated against by our government, especially Latinos. This we know in NW, Indiana.

But is not that what our government wants. They want to divide the races and conquer them, politically. We are just stupid enough to fall into their traps

Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,085 times
Every murder is a murder, but not every murder is a hate crime.

Race-based hate crimes (white on black, black on white, or any other combination) are quite rare outside American South nowadays.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Hey, Spike Lee said black people can't be racest. I guess it's all good now!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Quote:
One suspect sentenced to death, one life in prison w/o parole, and one 18 years. All prosecuted, all convicted. What's your point? What more do you want? Drawn and quartered?
The subject is not their punishment but the fact that IT WAS IGNORED AS A HATE CRIME!!! This is why the whole hate crime thing is BS. This is racism at it's worst that this innocent white couple were tortured and murdered by a gang of blacks and almost no mention of it at all.

Yes, drawn and quartered would be appropriate no matter their race or color.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Quote:
If they had been let go, say, like the Rodney King cops maybe you would have heard something.
Stop trying to cover this racism! You know damn well that if the colors were reversed, the media would have been screaming, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would have been on every TV program screaming for the heads of the perps. Get over youe own racism and admit this is blatant racism and a disgrace!

Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,808 times
Quote:
One suspect sentenced to death, one life in prison w/o parole, and one 18 years. All prosecuted, all convicted. What's your point? What more do you want? Drawn and quartered?
The POINT is that it is not considered a hate crime and the there is a lower level of outrage, like the crime committed is somehow less brutal than if the tables were turned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates