Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:03 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I honestly think much of our world (specifically my young generation) has become very shallow, not just in relation to material goods or appearance, but in general. I hear so many conversations and see so many friendships that barely skim the surface of anything. Maybe people are too caught up in their own lives to ask questions that go beyond the surface. I find myself unintentionally having deep conversations with people - strangers and close friends. We just start talking and I start asking questions and then they open up and start asking questions and voila - deep conversation. And it's funny sometimes because they almost look relieved that they can talk about deep topics.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 12:15 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I and a friend of mine were discussing this the other day talking about how people just seem to lack "passion" anymore and they seem so emotionless and shut down. No one seems to care about anything, no causes no nothing. She told me her and sister were talking about this, how people have become so closed down in American society, afraid to open their mouths about anything, afraid to actually have an opinion and no emotions anymore. She said, People just do not have emotions anymore and I agreed!.

I think I moved to the place on the planet with the least emotional people going. I do not think it is just me. Extreme reserved or stoic, even to show too much happiness among these stoics, seems to be threatening to them. By the way this area is far more upper class then where I used to live.

I gotta get out of this place because my personality DOES NOT FIT HERE!~ I actually had this lady here tell me, "I do not need friends, my family is enough" That was weird. She acted as though wanting to be someone's friend was the most evil thing a person could come up with. I do not understand these people!
Why our society values conformity - by Tim Bolton - Helium (http://www.helium.com/items/212939-why-our-society-values-conformity - broken link)

Yes, I share the same sentiments. However, one thing to remember about the American population (that you can't see) is that many people use antidepressant/ADHD medication. This type of medication significantly alters the range of emotions that a person would normally have.

Regardless, you are a very special person to be able to be so aware that something is quite not right with society; many people don't know, or don't care.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I've heard it said that it is because of overly prescribed mood altering medications (anti-depressants, etc.).
You take the generation, technology, 50% walking around numbed from meds, recipe for a cold society.

Except when you accidently cut someone some off on the road, drive to slow, then thats when you run into the timebomb, road ragers.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:48 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
OMG my RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) is acting up and I can't sleep without my heroin!! Who the **** comes up with these made up conditions? Oh thats right, the same people who sell you the cures.
Well, RLS is a real condition that has been recognized for hundreds of years. There are no good treatments and the meds have bad side effects so most people don't take them anyway. Now ADD et al is a different story - giving kids psychotropic meds that haven't been tested on children and creating little zombies.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:02 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yes, I share the same sentiments. However, one thing to remember about the American population (that you can't see) is that many people use antidepressant/ADHD medication. This type of medication significantly alters the range of emotions that a person would normally have.
I think you hit the nail on the head, Morphous.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:28 PM

I don't see a lot of middle of the road, for as many with significantly
altered emotions due to meds, theres a timebomb.
There your co-workers, your boss and your own family members,
we're talking ppl who can't keep their emotions under control
and I think Jeesz Kryst, take your meds.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
This is a great thread. I also mourn the loss of passion and emotion in our society. I think it will come back but I don't know when. I believe part of it is caused by people thinking they have no control over their lives, so they just shut down completely.

I do have an interesting story for you. It was told to me years ago by a man who lived in rural North Dakota on a farm. It dates back to the early 60's.

He lived in an area where all the neighbors had was each other. No convenience stores or theaters. Bad weather. Several times a week, one of the neighbors would drop over for coffee and a chat. Usually on Saturday nights one of the couples would host the others for radio, cards, board games, dancing, dinner, or snacks. Everyone would bring their children. The kids would usually bed down in the living room after playing all evening. When it was time to go home, the grownups would scoop up their sleepy kids and take off. This was their social life.

Then TV came to rural North Dakota. Of course, everyone had to buy a set. Nothing like that had ever been available before. Entertainment at the push of a button. It changed their lives. The neighbors didn't come over anymore. They were afraid they might be an interruption if you were watching a show. The Saturday night get togethers stopped as people stayed home to watch the shows they liked. The kids only saw each other occasionally or at school.

Life on the cold prairie became more isolated with the advent of a technology designed to bring people together to share the world. Strange phenomenon and of course, the trend has only intensified as time marched on.

The gentleman who told me this story was one of those sleepy kids. As much as he loves his technology, he regrets what we have lost since it took over our lives.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:56 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Now I live in Vermont. It's very white bread here. Most people are descendants of the British and more 'laid back.' If you know your cartoons, think "Spongebob" when he is trying to act more 'normal' in the episode where he wants to fit in better. He says, "Hey, how are you?" in a very monotone voice. That is the typical Vermonter.
Thanks Buddha now I know what is wrong with the place I live in, also white bread, and not far from Vermont.

What I find interesting is that it's the Alnglos who mostly work towards non-offending other cultures. What is with that? Ethnicities, esp. from abroad, can take jokes about themselves and about Americans. But the shushing comes from the non-ethnic groups.

Tomatoes are tasteless and watery, too, in the superstores. The taste for life is gone even from vegetables.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:59 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I and a friend of mine were discussing this the other day talking about how people just seem to lack "passion" anymore and they seem so emotionless and shut down. No one seems to care about anything, no causes no nothing. She told me her and sister were talking about this, how people have become so closed down in American society, afraid to open their mouths about anything, afraid to actually have an opinion and no emotions anymore. She said, People just do not have emotions anymore and I agreed!.

I think I moved to the place on the planet with the least emotional people going. I do not think it is just me. Extreme reserved or stoic, even to show too much happiness among these stoics, seems to be threatening to them. By the way this area is far more upper class then where I used to live.

I gotta get out of this place because my personality DOES NOT FIT HERE!~ I actually had this lady here tell me, "I do not need friends, my family is enough" That was weird. She acted as though wanting to be someone's friend was the most evil thing a person could come up with. I do not understand these people!
Why our society values conformity - by Tim Bolton - Helium (http://www.helium.com/items/212939-why-our-society-values-conformity - broken link)
YIKES! That woman you met sounds nasty!

When I was in college I heard a girl say she did not have room in her life for any new friends and she sought me out on Facebook recently...funny how "open" her life is after all these years

Old 11-07-2009, 02:01 PM

I hear what your saying, this is a country thats gotten into being very "politically correct" as not to offend, which is not a completely bad thing, if you've ever read some of the posts in politics and other controversies, Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Thanks Buddha now I know what is wrong with the place I live in, also white bread, and not far from Vermont.

What I find interesting is that it's the Alnglos who mostly work towards non-offending other cultures. What is with that? Ethnicities, esp. from abroad, can take jokes about themselves and about Americans. But the shushing comes from the non-ethnic groups.

Tomatoes are tasteless and watery, too, in the superstores.

Last edited by virgode; 11-07-2009 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates