Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

Yes. It is probably the anti-anxiety drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I and a friend of mine were discussing this the other day talking about how people just seem to lack "passion" anymore and they seem so emotionless and shut down. No one seems to care about anything, no causes no nothing. She told me her and sister were talking about this, how people have become so closed down in American society, afraid to open their mouths about anything, afraid to actually have an opinion and no emotions anymore. She said, People just do not have emotions anymore and I agreed!.

I think I moved to the place on the planet with the least emotional people going. I do not think it is just me. Extreme reserved or stoic, even to show too much happiness among these stoics, seems to be threatening to them. By the way this area is far more upper class then where I used to live.

I gotta get out of this place because my personality DOES NOT FIT HERE!~ I actually had this lady here tell me, "I do not need friends, my family is enough" That was weird. She acted as though wanting to be someone's friend was the most evil thing a person could come up with. I do not understand these people!
Why our society values conformity - by Tim Bolton - Helium (http://www.helium.com/items/212939-why-our-society-values-conformity - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
His main comments were a) he works waaaaay too much and too hard and b) his neighborhood is soooo boring. Nothing ever happens in the street. Where are the people?
You know what's ironic, though?! Back home I was sick and tired of people around me sticking their noses into my business and was dreaming of an anonymous life! Boy, did I make my dreams come true or what?!

Old 11-07-2009, 06:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Right.
Which brings me back to my original point that Americans know how to work, but don't know how to enjoy the money they are making. They work and work like slaves all their lives and some of them are lucky enough not to get cancer and survive until their retirement and enjoy their money.

People need to come out of their shells, come out of their houses and start having fun!!! My friend visited her relatives in Israel and she said that with all the terrorism and fear, people know how to live and enjoy life in that country. Hell, everywhere, but here.
when i got back to america after 5 years in france, i noticed 3 things.
everybody drives a car, everybody has bucket seats and when they walk way from you-- everybodies backside looks just like a bucket seat.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
I believe all the idiosyncrasies we're discussing are a result of deliberate and persistent social engineering. Isolated people without support and safety nets are much easier to manipulate and keep under the government's thumb! Also, since all their "entertainment" comes from the media, they're also more susceptible to receiving all the "right" messages! Not to mention that when people gather too much and exchange ideas they can become dangerous... and the think tanks up there don't want that.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:47 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Oh, on unrelated note, why in the world Americans work so many freaking hours a year? Every European country gets a lot more vacation time. Yeah, I know, I know, at this time anyone should just thank their lucky stars for having work, but seriously, come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Freaking Italians are off almost the entire month of august!!!
Yeah - just made up my mind. Network Marketing is the way to go.
Quote:
What I don't see in a lot of people now in general is compassion. Simply because people are just so busy, so stressed out about making money, making ends meet, making their marriage work that they don't have time for compassion. Compassion and helping out others is on the back burden now, where it should be the opposite.

Basically Americans just work too hard. Bottom line. The hours that they put in and the limited vacation time leaves them with very little time to explore themselves and explore possibilities of life. And if they are unemployed, they either a) looking for a job full-time or b) wasting time in front of TV or internet. I don't want to make blunt sweeping generalizations, but this holds true for majority of Americans with some exceptions.

You are so right Maxmama; at this point, I believe your wisdom is infinite.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I believe all the idiosyncrasies we're discussing are a result of deliberate and persistent social engineering. Isolated people without support and safety nets are much easier to manipulate and keep under the government's thumb!
Yes, I completely agree.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You know what's ironic, though?! Back home I was sick and tired of people around me sticking their noses into my business and was dreaming of an anonymous life! Boy, did I make my dreams come true or what?!
Ya know the old saying "Be careful what you wish for".

Old 11-07-2009, 06:59 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
You are so right Maxmama; at this point, I believe your wisdom is infinite.
And you are so funny. At this point, I believe you are the funniest man on this forum. lol.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:06 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
To be fair, the neighborhood next door which we're sort of part of (long and complicated story) does do all of the above and invites us all the time. As unusual as it sounds, they happen to be the other extreme and I'm a little hesitant to get too involved with them... Besides, they're mostly much older couples and I don't believe I'll fit in...
I think, Sierra, you may be feeling discomfort of people trying "too hard". I wouldn't like the other extreme either, I like my relationships to develop naturally.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Yes. It is probably the anti-anxiety drugs.
soooooooooooo true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates