Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Archie Bunker was a fictional characters, whose lines were read by Carroll O'Connor, who, although he had an undergraduate degree in English, was probably not a genius. In any case, all his lines were written by 48 people who earned writing credits for the show, and it is also doubtful that any of them were geniuses.
Of course I know all that.Duh. What they were doing was creating a type and poking fun at this type. I'm sure that the writers of the show thought that the type would be extinct by 2000 but as we know and hear everyday the type is alive and well in the USA. He was the picture of the ignorant,bigoted,xenophobic American who hated well just about everything except the extreme right and apple pie. I was afraid of the coloured, the Jews, the ****, the commies, the fruits and the democrats LOL. I'm vwry familiar with the type. My own dear Dad was an arch type of the sort but I loved him anyway, bless his soul.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:27 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Quote:
Archie Bunker was a fictional characters, whose lines were read by Carroll O'Connor, who, although he had an undergraduate degree in English, was probably not a genius. In any case, all his lines were written by 48 people who earned writing credits for the show, and it is also doubtful that any of them were geniuses.
He was kidding

Old 11-15-2009, 07:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
He was kidding
This is the Great Debates forum.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I cannot speak for other Americans obviously but I am not scared. Not scared of Muslims, anyway. I work with a few and since I am Jewish, people expected me to be antagonistic towards them. Not at all. We treat each other with the courtesy and respect that we all deserve.

Now if Muslims, or anyone else for that matter, immigrate to this country then start advocating wholesale terrorism, I think they should be imprisoned. Not deported. At least if they are in prison here, you can keep the population safe from them. Where does terrorism end and free speech begin? I guess here...if you say "I disagree with America's interventionist policies" or "I think Israel is horrible" then that is free speech. If you say "I think we should blow up a building," that is terrorism. I concede that it is an extremely fine line to walk.
Many of these people are talking about the outright banning of any Muslim immigrants for the next 15 to 20 years.

I fully agree with jailing anyone who is doing anything illegal.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:35 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times
To the original poster....

Your logic is flawed.

Would you apply your same concerns and standards to violent white-supremacists who wish to immigrate to the US?
How about psychopathic murders, child rapists who simply do not have the protective cloak of a "religion"?
I mean, would you keep them out?
Or would you tell them that no mater how much THEY want to live here, their "standards" will ultimately end up denying rights and liberties to others?
My right to live FREE from FEAR supersedes someone else's right to exercise their inherently violent interpretation of their chosen religion....

...period....

Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
To the original poster....

Your logic is flawed.

Would you apply your same concerns and standards to violent white-supremacists who wish to immigrate to the US?
How about psychopathic murders, child rapists who simply do not have the protective cloak of a "religion"?
I mean, would you keep them out?
Would you tell them that no mater how much THEY want to live here, their "standards" will ultimately end up denying rights and liberties to others.
My right to live FREE from FEAR supersedes someone else's right to exercise their inherently violent interpretation of their chosen religion....

...period....
Your logic is flawed

Are all Muslims violent, psychopatich, child rapists, or any other bad thing.

The answer, is no.

So why ban all of them from entering the country? Why are Americans so scared to ban one group, and give up our individual freedoms for something that is less likely than a lighting strike?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:02 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
That is not the reason at all. Muslims do not care about furthering their agenda. WE care about furthering OUR agenda with global domination of our junk markets, and the attack was to impede that. The World Trade Center existed for no other reason than to facilitate the inclusion of a billion Muslims into the market for US junk products like Bud Lite and heavy metal and Victoria's Secret. Which, not paradoxically, was why it was called the World Trade Center.

Western culture was being globally marketed so aggressively, that the traditionalist Muslims saw it as a threat to their own culture. There was little the Muslims could do to stop it except to make the purveyors of those commodities afraid to come ashore in their countries. Mission accomplished.

There has been no expansion in the world of Muslim influence since Columbus discovered America, which is a great deal more than the Christians can say. Muslims have no interest in expanding their influence, or as you put it, furthering their agenda. Their agenda is to remain at peace with the rest of the world, and to be left alone to live their lives according to their traditional customs and values. They have the same right as anyone else to take action to discourage those would invade and co-opt their cultural and ethical arena.
Firstly, what I said is absolutely correct, without writing a short novel to expain the obvious as you have, ie AQ and OBL's agenda. Terrorists use fear to further their various agendas, be it the independance of the oil field regions of Nigeria, an increased role of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia's government, an end to legal abortions here in the states, or US involvement in the ME. They attempt to generate that fear through several tactics, most involving explosives, to further their agenda.

Secondly, Islam, like it's sibling religion Christianity, is more than interested in spreading it's influence, just like it's sibling religion. Where you get the idea that Islam doesn't want to spread is beyond me. And as for your Columbus anology, try that in England and France especially.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So why ban all of them from entering the country? Why are Americans so scared to ban one group, and give up our individual freedoms for something that is less likely than a lighting strike?

I think it must have partly to do with how they don't understand how it's less likely to happen to them than a lightning strike. They think practically every Muslim they see is going to take out a gun and shoot them and their family down; its ridiculous. I really feel that media is almost completely to blame for this (as well as the narrow-mindedness of individuals). Now, it is incredibly terrible if you're one of those unfortunates that stuff like this happens too (and then it really must feel like it can happen to everyone), but that doesn't give you the right to take away other people's freedoms; its just the price you pay for living in a free country.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
that is very funny, bin laden blew up NYC and you wana know why are we scared? we have no internal security and utterly open borders, why are we scared? we invaded iraq and a million are dead why are we scared? we have run out of money why are we scared? tell me in the old country when you hit a wife when you are "disciplining her" do you tell her to see a doctor about that nose bleed and tell her to stop acting so skittish around your guests.?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:44 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
That's fine to be scared--I mean, its a scary world out there. Nothing should be taken for granted--clean water coming out of the faucet, four insulated walls around you on a cold day, cool air on a hot one, etc.; people tend to think that there are things they're always going to have, when that's just not true; all these things can be easily taken away. But I guess we have to decide: do we want to give up our rights and freedom to feel like we live in a place that's "safer". Maybe those laws and stuff do help somewhat--but you can surround yourself in a brick (or iron) wall, and there's always going to be somebody that can find a way in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates