Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 08:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Living in fear is not a life worth living. It is nothing more than a bleak existence. As was said in the novel DUNE, learn your fear and make it yours. Then you will be able to think of a way of evaluating the threat causing the fear and removing it.

I do not fear terrorists, Muslims, government, or failed bankers. I don’t even fear arch conservative neocon war profiteers. Them I despise.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
I Fear letting Fear get the best of me, and making my decision making less than what it should be. --I don't do well with Heights either.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I'm afraid that we may face something on par with The Great Depression and WWII and will not be able to face it, stand up to it and overcome it. We as a nation don't have the stomach, nerves or patience for something on that level.
I agree.

I believe if the circumstances of WWII happened today, the outcome would not be the same.

Too many people would want a " negotiated agreement" as the amswer to a quick resolution that required little sacrifice.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Living in fear is not a life worth living. It is nothing more than a bleak existence. As was said in the novel DUNE, learn your fear and make it yours. Then you will be able to think of a way of evaluating the threat causing the fear and removing it.

I do not fear terrorists, Muslims, government, or failed bankers. I don’t even fear arch conservative neocon war profiteers. Them I despise.
-----" I do not fear terrorists......"

Neither did the people who boarded the planes on 9/11

Old 11-13-2009, 09:25 AM

Muslim imigrants?

When is it a --right--to immigrate to the US?

Old 11-13-2009, 09:27 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
Yeah, I've noticed that since 9/11 people are more sensitive and scared of things nowadays. Now, most people are scared to lend you a hand on anything these days and such. It's gotten pretty twisted here.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:28 AM

Many posters, look back on events long afterwards and laugh that fear was present.

I was not laughing when Pres Kennedy risked WWIII by blockading Soviet ships from delivering missles to Cuba.

Didn't laugh then,not laughing now !

Old 11-13-2009, 09:34 AM

I don't live in constant fear, but I lock my doors at night.

I never used to til my cousin and her 2 teenage children got brutally murdered by 2 thugs looking for gas money in the middle of the night.

( they said they tried 3 other houses,but the doors were locked----her's wasn't.)

I think some posters confuse---fear-- with common sense precautions that are now taken due to incidents that have occured.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 AM

23 posts, read 25,971 times
The thing about Americans is yes they want their freedoms, but don't want anyone else to have theirs. Americans say well I want the freedom to do this, but because I don't agree with what you do there should be a law against it. If an American doesn't understand or believe in the same things then they don't care about that freedom. An individual will fight for what they believe in but not what someone else does.

As we continue to grow as a nation, we will see some of our freedoms "mishandled" (in our own opinions) by laws, and governments, radical groups, and others. The only problem with having an honest to god free country is that everyone here expects to be the most important. There has to be a line drawn somewhere to protect other people and other groups. It is a very difficult to make everyone happy so at some point the government, that we elect, has to step in and "control" the mass variety of ideas and believes that are held in our nation.

Many Americans are closed minded to their believe system. As for me personally, I am not afraid of other ideas or beliefs. It is my opinion that what what this country was created for and what this country represents around the world that we should not be able to deny access to our country, with legal entry.

I feel that Americans fear the unknown and that if they have the chance to protect themselves then they will. My question lies here, can you be any more nervous about certain persons coming from overseas, than you can your neighbor?

We have so many freedoms, and I do not believe that as an individual or a country that we can deny anyone person in world access to those freedoms.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:07 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I agree.

I believe if the circumstances of WWII happened today, the outcome would not be the same.

Too many people would want a " negotiated agreement" as the amswer to a quick resolution that required little sacrifice.
Appreantly you ahve no diea of the treaties made, and then broken by Hitler?

"Negotiated agreements" aren't a new thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates