Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times

Advertisements

A Child should know what it is like to Kill. Once they see the light go out in a animals eyes, that they have killed, it gives them a different perspective on life. I remember crying after shooting my first bird, with my new BB gun. I was all excited by my shot, till I took a good close look. then I felt terrible, and regretted my actions. And have never killed anything for pleasure since. ---Only Humans kill for pleasure. Is that Evolution, or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:47 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Every child has wondered what it feels like to kill. Every child has wondered what it would feel like to commit suicide. Every child has contemplated some future day when his government would hand him a gun and order him to kill, and wondered what he would do.

It is an article of faith in our national economic and social policy that at least one of every child's parents MUST have a job, and neglect the child for those hours if necessary. If children are growing up without parental attention, there is where you must look for remedy.

It would be interesting to analyze cases of child criminality and see how many of them had a stay-at-home mom. Our society forces moms to go to work, and then you want to imprison them if things go badly while they are away.
What?! I never wondered what it was like to kill as a child. The most I can remember wanting to do was beat up a person. Are you talking about wondering what it's like to kill an animal? I never wondered what that was like either and I had the unfortounate pleasure of killing a chicken here and there pushed on me by my parents when we lived in El Salvador.

As far as society forcing moms to go to work; you as a woman get to choose many things that factor into having to go to work. You choose who you're going to marry which means that, if you want to be a housewife, you should choose someone who can afford to have you stay at home and is comfortable with you doing that. You also choose when to get pregnant so maybe more women should be choosing not to get pregnant before they are married or, if they are married, when they cannot afford to take care of that child without having a second income in the household.

I hate hearing women complain about either side of the modern woman coin when they've been given all the choices. The problem is that women don't want to make choices, they want it all instead. They fool themselves into believing that they can have a successful career and still be a good mom. Well, it doesn't work that way.

Ask any man and he understands that being a great dad means giving up the time that you would use to have a trully successful career. Children require attention and they don't care about you making a lot of money and supplying them with anything more than the basic comforts as long as they get to spend time with you.

My brother-in-law owns his own business, makes six figures a year, lives in a posh neighborhood and gives his family everything they need and more and his wife still complains that he doesn't spend enough time doing things with the family but admits that she doesn't want to work. They see each other every evening and they spend every weekend with the kids' activities. You tell me; what does she have the right to complain about?

Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Fatmancomics, your points all seem contradictory.

You never squashed a bug and wondered, how is killing a human any different? What an incurious and unimaginative child.

A woman can choose any job she wants, and be compensated for it. Except parenthood. If she chooses parenthood, she has to labor at a second job to maintain herself and her family in order to do what she has chosen to do.

As for the rich woman in the last paragraph, the woman is not forced to go to work in addition to raising her kids, so of course she has nothing to complain about. Give any welfare mom a 6-figure income without needing to work, and she'll shut up, too.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-19-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
What?! I never wondered what it was like to kill as a child. The most I can remember wanting to do was beat up a person. Are you talking about wondering what it's like to kill an animal? I never wondered what that was like either and I had the unfortounate pleasure of killing a chicken here and there pushed on me by my parents when we lived in El Salvador.

As far as society forcing moms to go to work; you as a woman get to choose many things that factor into having to go to work. You choose who you're going to marry which means that, if you want to be a housewife, you should choose someone who can afford to have you stay at home and is comfortable with you doing that. You also choose when to get pregnant so maybe more women should be choosing not to get pregnant before they are married or, if they are married, when they cannot afford to take care of that child without having a second income in the household.

I hate hearing women complain about either side of the modern woman coin when they've been given all the choices. The problem is that women don't want to make choices, they want it all instead. They fool themselves into believing that they can have a successful career and still be a good mom. Well, it doesn't work that way.

Ask any man and he understands that being a great dad means giving up the time that you would use to have a trully successful career. Children require attention and they don't care about you making a lot of money and supplying them with anything more than the basic comforts as long as they get to spend time with you.

My brother-in-law owns his own business, makes six figures a year, lives in a posh neighborhood and gives his family everything they need and more and his wife still complains that he doesn't spend enough time doing things with the family but admits that she doesn't want to work. They see each other every evening and they spend every weekend with the kids' activities. You tell me; what does she have the right to complain about?
Was my post really that complicated? I told of my first killing of a bird with my bb gun. How do you get "Killing a child" out of that?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Was my post really that complicated? I told of my first killing of a bird with my bb gun. How do you get "Killing a child" out of that?
kill AS a child

I think it is normal to be curious. I hope so. I was curious. Shot a lizard with my BB gun. It was a good shot-got him right as it peeked over over a fence board.

Hopefully most of us start small and are fast learners.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:47 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,171 times
Either way you float it, it doesn't matter.

Each state varies by law but they have a specific age where you are automatically tried as an adult. There is no little waiver hearing. So, for specific charges they go directly to a big people jail. They are called direct files.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:28 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
If a criminal act can be shown to be premeditated, then I'd say yes. Look at the Columbine incident. Was there any question that those two had not planned this... for months?

Old 11-19-2009, 12:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Either way you float it, it doesn't matter.

Each state varies by law but they have a specific age where you are automatically tried as an adult. There is no little waiver hearing. So, for specific charges they go directly to a big people jail. They are called direct files.
The first word of this thread, "Should", ought to be a clue. This is not a discussion of what the law IS, but what it SHOULD be.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:03 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
depending on the circumstances, yes, a child should be tried as an adult. I will take for an example a friend of mine, that at the age of 13 was tried as an adult for a triple murder. He was in the prison system until he was the age of 27. He will tell you that if he wouldnt of been tried as an adult, and given the time he was given, he probably would of went right back to the life he had. But because of his sentence, when he got out, he was a changed person, and was able to return to society as a productive member.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:20 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,369 times
This case is really a bad one. It's not like she just snapped, or even had a viable reason in her own twisted mind to act out against the child. She schemed and carried out a cold blooded killing of a young child. This girl is seriously mentally ill and is not capable of being rehabilitated. These types of crimes really are unexplainable. You cannot rewire the brain into having remorse and feelings towards others.

I'm guessing this girl was molested and abused herself as a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates