Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:29 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
In some European countries it is just as bad. For example, I knew European schoolteachers who were not allowed to mark homework or test papers using a red pen, lest it damage the egos of children who got the answers wrong.
Correcting a Child's mistakes, needn't be negative. No reason to use a red pen unless it is repeated mistakes. Just give them proper direction and call it good. Nobody likes, not deserves to have their noses rubbed in it. Treat Kids as you would want to be treated. with courtesy and respect, and you may find they respond in kind. there is no need for heavy handed tactics, unless the teacher is insecure, and feels the need to "teach them a lesson"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 09:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Correcting a Child's mistakes, needn't be negative. No reason to use a red pen unless it is repeated mistakes. Just give them proper direction and call it good. Nobody likes, not deserves to have their noses rubbed in it. Treat Kids as you would want to be treated. with courtesy and respect, and you may find they respond in kind. there is no need for heavy handed tactics, unless the teacher is insecure, and feels the need to "teach them a lesson"
I don't see that using a red pen is rubbing their noses in it. The red ink makes the corrections stand out.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't see that using a red pen is rubbing their noses in it. The red ink makes the corrections stand out.
Fine, and how did it make you feel when a red pen was used on your hard work. good?? Positive reinforcment does wonders. Use a Blue Pen to point out the good things. To only focus on mistakes, teaches a child that "Negativity" is the way to grade things. We are stuck with primitive teaching methods, and wonder why Honduras has passed us up. The more a Child does good, the less he will do bad. Kids want to do good, so show them it matters more than making mistakes.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:03 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
The more I read this, the more convinced I am that this pertains to a specific class.

You take the argument of :when I was a kid we left home in the morning and didn't show up until supper or dinner. No adult supervision, therefor, no discipline. You do that when you have a kid now and you call it lack of supervision and some people's parents and no discipline. Its because there was no mother at home.

I have yet to meet someone whose parents went to the interview with the kid. However, that could be because a parent already worked there.Oh, no wait...........how does that factor in? Plus, take the "family" owned business where all kinds of riffraff are hired because they are "family". AKA nobody else would hire them.

You have entire groups of kids who couldn't find there way into a college because the parent has no idea how to work through the system having never done it themselves.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:11 AM

If enough time is spent during a Child's most formative years, teaching them proper conduct and behavior, then constant supervision is not needed as they mature and learn. As a Child, we just went about our lives. We didn't get in trouble. we simply played. We were glad to feel safe, and loved. We were trusted, and were expected to do the right thing. --We didn't have drive bys, or gun fights. we didn't rob and steal. We acted in response to how we were treated. We made the 60s what it was. and no one has done it better.----The society we have today, is the way it is because we expect someone to hold our hand, and take care of us. If it not our families and friends, then we expect the Gubment to step up and take care of us. That is not our Gubment's job, plus they are not qualified to do it anyway. . We need to each and every one of us, learn to stand firmly own our own two feet, just as I was taught to do a small child.---Just remember, we are not rearing Children. we already have Children. we are trying to rear "Adults" Allow them to spread their wings and Fly.

Last edited by Thaskateguy; 11-27-2009 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-27-2009, 04:51 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
I was just fine with red pen marking my schoolwork mistakes. Getting A's and B's was positive reinforcement enough. And always preferred getting letter grades rather than pass/fail marks. I wanted that distinction of really having done well, and not being lumped in one big group. Realism worked just fine for me as a child. And if I had kids, I would raise them the same way. I would not coddle them.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:16 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
YES! Someone very close to me is a high school teacher and I was absolutely astounded when they told me that the kids who haven't passed and will NOT get a diploma are allowed to walk and "graduate" with their class, the only difference is they receive a blank diploma. Why should someone who didn't even pass be allowed to "graduate"? What does this say about our schools or our society? Scary, huh?!

Old 11-27-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I was just fine with red pen marking my schoolwork mistakes. Getting A's and B's was positive reinforcement enough. And always preferred getting letter grades rather than pass/fail marks. I wanted that distinction of really having done well, and not being lumped in one big group. Realism worked just fine for me as a child. And if I had kids, I would raise them the same way. I would not coddle them.
so if you made good grades you probably didn't face the red pen of death. So may have different view as some of us who had their work look like red was the new blue.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:25 PM

744 posts, read 1,209,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
YES! Someone very close to me is a high school teacher and I was absolutely astounded when they told me that the kids who haven't passed and will NOT get a diploma are allowed to walk and "graduate" with their class, the only difference is they receive a blank diploma. Why should someone who didn't even pass be allowed to "graduate"? What does this say about our schools or our society? Scary, huh?!
Exactly, if there is not emphasis placed on passing (being able to walk with your class) then what are we saying. You are going to receive a blank piece of paper that only you and your parents know is blank. You will still look and be treated like everyone else who actually did the work and earned it. There needs to be accountability for ones actions. I had to work my tail off as a senior in school in NY to get a Regents Diploma and it was anounced at graduation who earned a Regents diploma and who had a regular diploma. I felt that without knowing ahead of time that it would be announced this way I probably would not have tried so hard. Besides I knew if I went home and told my parents I did not get Regents they would have been disappointed and I did not want to do that. Parents are the key. Forget what color pen the teacher uses if a parent is involved and concerned the kids will understand they are judged in life in everything and try to excell not just coast by. The quickest route between to points is always the path of least resistance (look at how rivers flow). People will always look for the quickest route in life so we need to teach them ealry that sometimes there will be obstacles you must go over without finding an easier way around.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
so if you made good grades you probably didn't face the red pen of death. So may have different view as some of us who had their work look like red was the new blue.
miu said that she (am i remembering right?) got A's and B's, which would imply that some things were not perfect. probably still did fine with even the markings she got on her B work.

i got horrible grades in high school in every subject except for art, humanities, and PE.

i've had as much red pen on my work as i had black ink from my own pen. it didn't bother me though. people can take offense to otherwise inoffensive things if they want, but that doesn't change the inherently inoffensive nature of the object.

nowadays, i appreciate it when my college teachers hand my assignments back with some red ink; it tells me that they actually took the time to read what i had written, to add comments and corrections.

it doesn't hurt my feelings, and neither does getting a D or a C or anything else when that is what i deserve. all of this, "we can't give students F's because it stands for failure," "we can't use red ink because it will hurt people's feelings," is crap. we are breeding a weak society with these standards.

it irritates me that the same mentality has found its way into military society as well. "make training easier, because we don't want to shame those that can't pass," or "because we don't want to exclude the fat people, or the sick people, or the weak people, or the mentally or emotionally imbalanced people."

we need to grow up, and part of growing up is realizing that we need to encourage the growing up of our children, rather than inhibiting it and making them comfortable as perpetual kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates