Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 03:44 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Man, you bring up so many valid points.---let me just address one. some of us had to work before and after School. so we had to hurry to get School work done. I'm sure mine could have been better. sometimes it was wet from the rain. But I did the best I could with what I had. --but then to have some guy go to work on my papers with his red pen flashing, just made me feel like why bother. He would circle this, and underline that. In big bold slashes, like he was painting a picture. Never once did he say, this part is ok, or pretty good even. He just looked for a comma in the wrong place, and a word misspelled. Never committing in a positive way about what I was actually saying. Just the mechanics of how it was said. ---I ran into him at my 40 High School reunion, and he is a weak little man, who's only power in life was to bully People less than half his age. I nearly made him cry. but decided to let him off. So ya know what you can do with that red pen.
Good study habits need to be started at a young age. Right from first grade imo. How old were you when you first started working? 16 years of age?

As to grammatical errors, well knowing proper grammar and spelling is very important. My parents wouldn't allow us kids to speak in slang at the dinner table. And as an adult, whether it's filling out a job application or just speaking with an interviewer, the person that expresses themselves the best, many times ends up getting selected for the job.

And if you were a journalist or author, your copy editor would also be circling your errors in red ink. It's just the way it's done, it's the industry standard, whether you are a student or a professional writer.

And I feel that there was no need to make your teacher feel badly at your 40th high school reunion. Teaching is really a thankless job. Out of hundreds of students, only a handful ever are a delight to teach. I know several longtime teachers, and they've told me this. And the hardest students to deal with are high school students. Either they already have bad study habits, or they think that they know the answer to life and it's not being a student. Most high school students are probably like you, resentful that homework was interfering with your work and play time. And resentful that high school is interfering with their young adult life and that they can't wait to graduate or just leave. And imo the real problem was that you had to juggle work and schoolwork. And that's another reason I feel that people who can't afford to raise children, shouldn't be having them. In my family, my parents and grandparents felt that a child's only "job" was to go to school and do it well. And as long as the grades were excellent and there was a career in mind, they didn't mind working their butt's off to put us through college and beyond. But slack off from ones schoolwork and lose the parental support. Even in poor Chinese families, the parents are willing to have several jobs in order to put their kids through school in order to have a better life than they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 04:17 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
With the Fun leagues for sports around that do not keep scores because they do not want the kids to feel what it is like to lose. Are we taking away the kids motivation to succeed. In real life everything you do is compared with someone else, ie for pay raises, promotions, and more importantly for jobs themselves. Do you think by coddling the kids we are doing them a disservice.

Most satisfaction in life comes from feeling superior to other people. If you have nobody below to **** on from the height of your perch, life is a failure, drugs, Prosac, prison, etc. That's pretty much America today. "perch climbing" sounds like an inspirational principle to build society upon. Unfortunately, if there are no losers, winners don't really feel much about their achievements; so it's not about achievement per se, it's about having people to **** on, otherwise "achievement" just doesn't feel the same. I don't think motivation to succeed as you described it makes America a better place, it's rather make it a Prosac saturated psychological hell hole.

Kids certainly should get reality check, as far as their abilities go, but not because it would prepare them to climb higher perch and dump larger load.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:47 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Good study habits need to be started at a young age. Right from first grade imo.
Yup, a good wage slave prepares his arse for sale from the early age. One can only feel sorry for the modern kids, grownups robbed them of childhood and play, it's all about selling ones arse at more $ than thy neighbor. It's highly unnatural for human beings, that's one of the reasons 1 in 7 Americans is a mental patient.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
Quote:
With the Fun leagues for sports around that do not keep scores because they do not want the kids to feel what it is like to lose. Are we taking away the kids motivation to succeed. In real life everything you do is compared with someone else, ie for pay raises, promotions, and more importantly for jobs themselves. Do you think by coddling the kids we are doing them a disservice.
I agree, while I feel that these sports exist ( Not keeping score) is more for the parents as well as the children. I learned the hard way of not enrolling my son into team sports as a young child, instead I allowed him to participate in Skating competetions where he only had to rely on his skills, while he won many awards he never learned the concept of being a 'Team Player" This year he was allowed to join the Volley Ball team at his school and everytime the team lost he took it so hard and his attitude was hard to deal with. He was very negative and made statements to the effect, "Nobody was in it to win it mom, they did not think it was a big deal" "They were not trying hard enough, they just stood there" While he was awarded MVP I was not impressed with his attitude and I stated, "You cannot win all the time, someone always has to lose and it cannot always be the other team son, you haveto to use the loss as a means of improvement "
So I strongly feel that keeping score is necc, in order for children to grasp the idea of winning and working as a team to get there together ( Which in turn facilitates a good strong work ethic) and losing is part of life, it shows them good coping skills , the ability to reflect and make room for improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
YES! With teams getting larger and larger and more and more because they dont want to cut a kid for it might hurt their feelings is wrong. Not keeping score it wrong. Sure it may be fun for the kids, but life is a constant competition with someone else. We need to teach our kids that when you lose, you just need to learn from it and work harder so it doesnt happen again. If you get cut from team it means you werent good enough and need to practice more.

But no, we would rather allow everyone the same chance the first time. I remember when I was in high school my tennis team was about 100 people..that was just the mens team. The womens team was about 60+. This resulted in us having to form four teams for the mens side and three for the womens side. Every school that competed against us had to agree to play all the teams or only one team would get to play. Sure the teams were based on skill, but everyone who was on the team still got a letter and was considered on the team.

So the simple answer is yes, we are hurting our children by babying them like this.
That is a bit harsh don't you think? As I stated in my previous post ( refers to above post) my son had never participated in "Team" sports, he is competetive by nature and this assisted him but at 12 he was lagging behind other kids, I feel that children need to be encouraged, fostered and shown the ropes on how to play by peers and the coaches. My son's coach was excellent, he allowed the better players to play and he did alot of one on one with the players that were struggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Personally I do not see the harm in allowing every child to play on a recreational sports team at a young age; some of the less-skilled players just need more practice and it IS supposed to be fun.

However children also need to learn how to lose well, and they need to learn that not everything is going to go their way every time. Too many parents are protecting their children from failure when I think failure is a part of life. It teaches valuable lessons.
Bravo! Well stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I disagree with you on this.

I coached middle school basketball and I feel that extra curricular activities at school should be open to all students.

We don't limit math class to the best math students, why should we limit basketball to the best basketball players? Public school activities should be available to all.

For those athletes who feel the need for a more competitive situation there are plenty of private leagues that they can pay to join.
Well stated...

Old 11-28-2009, 09:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
"Lost a lot of fights, but it taught me how to lose OK" ---Billy Joel ("Keepin' the Faith")

Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"Lost a lot of fights, but it taught me how to lose OK" ---Billy Joel ("Keepin' the Faith")
lol...reps coming your way for humor.
*dr is working hard on showing son how to lose with grace*

Old 11-29-2009, 02:14 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Yes. The more parents coddle their kids and protect them from victories and failures, the more challenging it will be for them to adjust to the real world once they get older. Artificial self-esteem is not doing our kids justice as it takes away the motivation to better themselves. Children need to take pride in their accomplishments and learn to deal with setbacks as this is what life's all about.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
What is the age limit?
IMO if they are 10 and under it should be "fun" leagues. That gives all the kids a chance to atleast see if they like the sport and know if they are any good.
I think competition is healthy for children, but it really makes me mad when these loser coaches won't let a seven year old kid get their fair turn.
Yes, my son wasn't very good at baseball, so the coach wouldn't let him bat as much as everyone else. When I confronted him about the league being a "fun" league. His reply was: It all depends on your definition of "fun". I almost beat him upside the head. I did give him a piece of my mind.
Any older than that though I think is fine to limit the amount of player, especially if it is school funded.
You have valid points as younger children should be allowed to play sports just for the fun of it and to develop their sportsmanship and teamwork skills. Once they reach a certain age, we can then include competitions, etc.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 AM

744 posts, read 1,209,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
You have valid points as younger children should be allowed to play sports just for the fun of it and to develop their sportsmanship and teamwork skills. Once they reach a certain age, we can then include competitions, etc.
Question? What age do you think that scores should be kept. Do you think maybe before a kid gets into middle school, or even younger. I think it should be younger to make sure that they are learning about losing and winning so they can be ready to compete in school as well. I am real lucky my son who is 15 plays football for his high school here in TX and here football is king. He has been playing since middle school, but even as a youngster when we would play board games, or anything with him we would never go easy on him so he knew that winning was an accomplishment and not a right. He has excelled in school as well an only being in the 10th grade he has already been touring some colleges because he has great grades and is motivated to keep them that way.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Question? What age do you think that scores should be kept. Do you think maybe before a kid gets into middle school, or even younger. I think it should be younger to make sure that they are learning about losing and winning so they can be ready to compete in school as well. I am real lucky my son who is 15 plays football for his high school here in TX and here football is king. He has been playing since middle school, but even as a youngster when we would play board games, or anything with him we would never go easy on him so he knew that winning was an accomplishment and not a right. He has excelled in school as well an only being in the 10th grade he has already been touring some colleges because he has great grades and is motivated to keep them that way.
Maybe during the early years of elementary school, the kids can just play for the fun of it. Competition can be introduced during the latter half of elementary or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates