Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Ordinarily, I would not waste time responding to personal attacks, but since it is on topic, I'll make an excedption.

I am a person who finds the internet to be a useful tool for several reasons. I have a physical disability that limits the kinds of activities I can participate in, and I am at an age at which Alzheimers is a very real prospect. Participating in discussion groups like this is a mental exercise, which I'm told is good for warding off Alzheimers. It is mentally stimulating to A) form and develop intellectual ideas, and B) write them down in cogent, organized form, and C) reread what I wrote critically and either correct it or abandon it. And, it keeps me in touch with people I could not associate with in real life.

At times, I find this activity to be unproductive because I spend so much time arguing with people who lack intellectual. developmental and experiential maturity, most of you having been born when I was in my 40s and some of you born after I had already retired. Almost like parents of small children craving adult conversation. Furthermore, it is often embarrassing and humiliating to me to reflect on what I thought when I was your age, but I try to set that aside in order to maintain my own dignity. On the plus side, it is constructive for me to stay in tune with people of all ages, so that I have a multifaceted picture of the whole fabric of our society, The internet is the only place I can pretend to be one of you and hear your thoughts. Nobody talks to me at the college library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 09:52 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
And I do this this person has a lot of posts for the amount of time they joined...

[unsubstantiated personal attacks based on personal prejudices]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
So take your case, jtur88...

[unsubstantiated personal attacks based on personal prejudices]
this is precisely what i was referring to in my last post. neither of you have any shred of rational thought behind you claims. your judgments against the other poster consist entirely of presumptuous opinions and the aforementioned subjective line of "anything more than me is bad, and anything less than me is bad.

there is not even the faintest hint of evidence with which to back your claims, and any mental health counselor would be shaking their heads at your feeble attempts to hide a personal attack behind an armchair amateur diagnosis.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:55 PM

341 posts, read 678,935 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ordinarily, I would not waste time responding to personal attacks, but since it is on topic, I'll make an excedption.
Please show me where I personally attacked you.

[quote=stycotl;11815567]
Quote:
your feeble attempts to hide a personal attack
Please show me where I personally attacked jtur88.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:38 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
At What Point Does Addiction to the Internet Become to Much ???

Reply: When it becomes an addiction that has control over you , you feel you need it but cant say 'no' , when it has/is consuming you and your time , when it has become a definite out of balance venue in your life, when it strongly irritates others in your household or life and you shrug it off , when others see the addiction in yourself but you deny it flat out, and/or when you admit in times of humility that it has gotton out of control for yourself .

The answer to get back on track is : Admit you have this problem, realize you are powerless to help yourself , ask God for the power to overcome the addiction, be accountable to close friends/family members who care about you , purpose in your heart to conquer the addiction, and start taking these vital steps at once before you start rationalizing and making excuses to continue the aberrant compulsion .

Ill pray for you right now. I hope you will too. Regards.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I can't get the Internet up my nose. I can't inject it in my veins and I can't drink it. I've never driven my car, high on the Internet. No cop has ever pulled me over and told me to dance like some chimpanzee in a You Tube video because my car was drifting over the yellow line after I spent 5 straight hours at home on the Internet.

I've never prostituted myself for an Internet fix or held up a bank or liquor store to pay an Internet Service Provider. I never crawled in a neighbor's window and fell asleep in their bed because I was searching up a storm, earlier in the day.

Although I once had an Internet virus, I never puked after multiple hours of posting or searching. I never lost a job because I showed up at work on an Internet high.

No one ever raped me at a party because I was posting like crazy before I arrived, posted a little bit more while I was there and didn't know what was happening to me when some other nerd started pawing me.

I never slurred my posts. No one has ever taken my car keys after multiple hours of Internet binging.

I never let my kids starve, play in traffic or go to bed with dirty diapers while I was posting to City Data...oh wait, I don't have any kids, not even virtual ones.

I never went to Internet rehab or had chat group therapy. No one ever donated any money to some organization to save me from the Internet. I never slept on a grate because I lost everything because of the Internet.

My doctor never told me I suffer from mouse finger pain.

As far as I know, the Democrats aren't spending your tax dollars trying to "cure" me...but, you never know.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I would say I am too addicted to the internet. I spend my whole 8 hour shift at work surfing the internet. Then I get home, and sit on the internet the whole time I am home.
YIKES I hope your boss isn't on CD. You better scan your puter for keyloggers!

Anyway.

Yeah, me too.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
Please show me where I personally attacked jtur88.
i'm gonna quote the entirety of your post so that you can be refamiliarized with what you wrote and apparently have since forgotten.

Quote:
So take your case, jtur88. You have thousands of posts. You make an average of a little over 12 posts a day. If the time you spend awake, and not eating or taking care of other domestic situations is 12 hours (which I believe is a reasonable assumption), then you make an average of 1 post an hour. So it is safe to say that a good portion of every hour that you are awake is involved with submitting posts to one on-line forum. Even if City-Data is the only site you frequent on the internet (which is unlikely), that is a lot of time to spend on one thing. One could make the argument that you are addicted to City-Data. And this is something that you have been doing for a few years now. Did you ever think about what would happen if you took a break from posting on CD for two months? Could you do it? And if you could, how would you feel? Do you think you would experience some sort of emotional withdrawal?
this is exactly what i mentioned in my last two posts, no matter which way you try to spin it otherwise.

you fake an attempt at a logical analysis, and come to a preconceived conclusion about a poster that you apparently don't like or approve of, and seal it with the claim that "one could make the argument that [he is] addicted to City-Data."

what is your support? your own gut feeling that someone that has an average of 12 posts per day is spending too much time on the net (because, presumably, that means that they spend more time online than you). you have no studies to back any of this up; you don't even have the average number of hours per day that he is on the computer (though you did try to presume that too), or the reasons that he is on the net, or anything else.

you feel free to explain to us why your subjective, patronizing (could you? would you? how would it feel?), accusations that are based off of nothing but your own personal preference are anything but a personal attack.

back to the topic, this is––again––precisely what i was referring to earlier. there is no way to gauge if someone else is spending "meaningful time on the net," especially when the only thing you have to look at is their posting history.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
Okay, It's time for an intervention. The first step is admitting that you have a problem. I think everyone, especially the ones that are arguing over this topic, needs to step back and examine their feelings.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 AM

341 posts, read 678,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i'm gonna quote the entirety of your post so that you can be refamiliarized with what you wrote and apparently have since forgotten.

this is exactly what i mentioned in my last two posts, no matter which way you try to spin it otherwise.

you fake an attempt at a logical analysis, and come to a preconceived conclusion about a poster that you apparently don't like or approve of, and seal it with the claim that "one could make the argument that [he is] addicted to City-Data."

what is your support? your own gut feeling that someone that has an average of 12 posts per day is spending too much time on the net (because, presumably, that means that they spend more time online than you). you have no studies to back any of this up; you don't even have the average number of hours per day that he is on the computer (though you did try to presume that too), or the reasons that he is on the net, or anything else.

you feel free to explain to us why your subjective, patronizing (could you? would you? how would it feel?), accusations that are based off of nothing but your own personal preference are anything but a personal attack.

back to the topic, this is––again––precisely what i was referring to earlier. there is no way to gauge if someone else is spending "meaningful time on the net," especially when the only thing you have to look at is their posting history.

The things that you claim that I have done do not constitute a personal attack according to the TOS of City-Data. And why do you assume that I do not like jtur88 posts? Actually, I enjoy reading most of his posts. So, as it turns out, you are guilty of doing the very same thing that you accuse me of.

You seem to be one of those people who equate criticism with insults. I was trying to start a dialogue with jtur88, who, upon his own will, decided to post a comment on a thread about spending too much time on the internet. You claim that we have no information on how much time he spends on City-Data. But we do; not only do we have access to his post count, but we can see at what times he made those posts. They are generally spread out throughout the day. Therefore, it is not assumption or conjecture to say that he spends a great portion of his day on the internet. So, I attempted to get a personal opinion from someone who could arguably be addicted to the internet. We are on the Great Debates forum, sir. The point of which is to try to come to logical conclusions by debating the facts and/or evidence at hand. So when a poster comes into the thread who easily falls within the parameters of spending extended periods of time on the internet, it is absolutely fair to point that out and ask them about their behavior. There are lots of other posters on City-Data that post more than jtur88, but I did not use them as an example because they did not choose to enter the debate on the topic.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:58 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
At What Point Does Addiction to the Internet Become to Much ???
At the precise moment when someone starts using the word "addiction" in the same sentence as "internet."

It's not really an addiction; it's just an excuse to avoid doing whatever else the individual should've been doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates