Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:11 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times

Advertisements

At What Point Does Addiction to the Internet Become to Much ???

I was thinking about this some time ago here at this forum. I have been technically a member since some time in 2006 and I've got a little over 2100+ posts. Mostly this is a way of passing time since I've been here in Sweden and stuck in doors quite a bit. So it breaks the day for if nothing else, a bit of entertainment value and actually some new things to learn from. If I was actually back in the states and back in the field again, I'd probably rarely come here.

I've noticed many have 10,000+ posts , many have almost as many posts as I do and they've only been here a couple of months. The record holder that I know of (I won't mention their username) has over 82,000+ posts and a member since only June 2008. Wow

So have some just given up on a regular normal life and opted for a virtual one as a means of finding fulfillment ??? I wondered about this in considering some members here until I saw this guy's experience just may have taken the Grand Prize Blue Ribbon

Man marries a videogame - Plugged In - Yahoo! Games

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 01:04 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
And some people wonder why America has the highest obesity rate of any country in the world?

All day exercisin' those finger muscles with that triple shot raspberry venti mocha sitting next to them.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:23 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
I would say I am too addicted to the internet. I spend my whole 8 hour shift at work surfing the internet. Then I get home, and sit on the internet the whole time I am home.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:26 AM

744 posts, read 1,209,769 times
As with any "addiction" it is to much if it interferes with daily life. I believe that some addictions can be contained as to where one can still be a productive member to society ie smoking.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:38 AM

I just got a rep comment on my post above saying "lol, really." I will explain it so it makes sense on how I can spend my whole shift at work on the internet. I am a security guard that works overnights in an office building. I am paid just to be there and be awake. They gave us cable television and internet so that we can can keep are minds occupied and not doze off.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:02 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I just got a rep comment on my post above saying "lol, really." I will explain it so it makes sense on how I can spend my whole shift at work on the internet. I am a security guard that works overnights in an office building. I am paid just to be there and be awake. They gave us cable television and internet so that we can can keep are minds occupied and not doze off.
That's awesome!!! I would much rather make $10/ hr doing THAT kind of work! It would suck too, though, as my neighbor runs his wood chipper and band saw all day long, and I would never get any sleep working a graveyard shift. I WOULD use that time at work to get all my classwork done while earning my Bachelor's degree. You ARE truly blessed!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
That's awesome!!! I would much rather make $10/ hr doing THAT kind of work! It would suck too, though, as my neighbor runs his wood chipper and band saw all day long, and I would never get any sleep working a graveyard shift. I WOULD use that time at work to get all my classwork done while earning my Bachelor's degree. You ARE truly blessed!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, I am currently "working" right now LOL.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:25 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,228 times
I try not to stay on the computer too long. I plan on going for a walk with my daughter soon. It's a beautiful day today (finally some sunshine in TN), but the computer is a good distraction from doing housework.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
It's not an addiction. Neither is washing your car or buying lottery tickets or watching The Daily Show or putting sugar in your coffee. Do you have physical withdrawal symptoms when you go on vacation? It's just a preference when you have choices.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
And then there are those you just meditate about in some of these combat thread sub-forums.

Duty Calls - "Honey are you coming to bed?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates