Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 08:00 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Feeling cross today I see. It'll be better tomorrow, get some rest.
I'm just getting tired of you and the completely useless nonsense you're posting, pretending it's appropriate in the "Great Debates" forum.

Why don't you head over to the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum? Your posting habits would fit right in over there. This forum is SUPPOSED to be heavily moderated and for serious discussions only. You're making a mockery of the mods, and of genuine debate itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,465,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm just getting tired of you and the completely useless nonsense you're posting, pretending it's appropriate in the "Great Debates" forum.

Why don't you head over to the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum? Your posting habits would fit right in over there. This forum is SUPPOSED to be heavily moderated and for serious discussions only. You're making a mockery of the mods, and of genuine debate itself.
I'm sure you'll get over it, and maybe come up with a topic to debate about, rather than to continue to rag on my every word. don't read them if don't like them. Simple as that.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
The great troika of trivia have spoken.

Mod: please close this thing.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,805,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
I just wonder how many "scientists" clock in at work each day and actually work towards a goal or invention. I used to get the monthly NASA magazine they put out to spread the ideas and technology they developed. Most was actually developed by private industry.
Yeah, under a NASA funded contract. NASA has become a contracting agency as much as a research entity in an effort to streamline. Which is fine but you have to realize NASA dollars made those technologies.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 AM

I list should be posted on approved opinions that must be maintained to be in this thread. And it should state that no free thinkers need apply.. Some people seem to think a debate means people should all share the same opinion. How foolish.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:36 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,173 times
Quote:
That is like saying, "you have a big cut on your arm, and are bleeding profusely, but the stitches are expensive, so you should just keep bleeding". ---Put NASA in Moth Balls till it serves a profitable purpose. If what they do is so valuable to us, then why does it cost us tax Dollars??. they should be self maintaining. but they know that they don't have to turn a profit, so live high on the hog. and use catch phrases like--"It is Man Nature to Explore" Well go explore, take a long walk, Climb a Mountain. Just don't ask the tax payers to pay for your little fantasies.

Without the work they do every day, exploration, experiments, etc. it would be hard for them to come up with all these great inventions. Who is to say that tomorrow they won't come up with something and make lots of money. If it were to shut down it couldn't make money.

I could be mistaken, and I know you know some people who work at NASA, but I too know people who work for NASA as well (in FL), and they live comfortably, not high on the hog. They have nice houses and nice cars. One person I know even has a boat! I also know that these people have worked there for a long time and worked hard for their money. If you were to shut down NASA, all the people would just go on unemployment and foodstamps, because there are not enough good jobs out there. Therefore, the government would still be paying out money, but now with nothing to show for it.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:43 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
I list should be posted on approved opinions that must be maintained to be in this thread. And it should state that no free thinkers need apply.. Some people seem to think a debate means people should all share the same opinion. How foolish.
Perhaps you need to read the rules for this forum:
Quote:
Special high standards apply in this forum. Great Debates is meant for respectful, intelligent, serious, well thought-out, slower-paced debates about all kinds of interesting issues. This forum is not limited to politics. There will be no tolerance for insulting other posters, personal attacks on politicians or others, and trolling. This is not the place for distorting your opponents' statements, one-liners, snarky posts, charged language, polls, nitpicking, chatter, tired jokes, or answering without reading the whole thread. For example, instead of using charged wording in calling your opponent's statement a "lie," you should be writing that this statement is "untrue," "incorrect" or "mistaken." Only respond if you have a new argument or viewpoint to add, not just to reiterate previous points or to say that you agree or disagree. Providing citations and explaining your reasoning is encouraged. We can selectively disable members' posting privileges just in this forum and we will use this feature. Moderators will have the power to delete, close, or move posts and threads based on their arbitrary judgments about what is appropriate in this forum, not just based on whether they are following our forum Terms of Service. Even higher standards will be used when judging new threads. Thread titles must be descriptive. Members need to have at least three posts elsewhere and be registered for a day before they can start new threads.
(emphasis mine)

The bold portions are where I believe you're running all over the rules for this forum. I'm beginning to think that the moderators don't even check this forum any more.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Without the work they do every day, exploration, experiments, etc. it would be hard for them to come up with all these great inventions. Who is to say that tomorrow they won't come up with something and make lots of money. If it were to shut down it couldn't make money.

I could be mistaken, and I know you know some people who work at NASA, but I too know people who work for NASA as well (in FL), and they live comfortably, not high on the hog. They have nice houses and nice cars. One person I know even has a boat! I also know that these people have worked there for a long time and worked hard for their money. If you were to shut down NASA, all the people would just go on unemployment and foodstamps, because there are not enough good jobs out there. Therefore, the government would still be paying out money, but now with nothing to show for it.
Very resonable, so let me try and state my position. --It is my opinion, that any Business that is run with Tax payer money, should not be like a Country Club. If NASA is as valuable as you say, and have produced so may beneficial products, then they should be able to support themselves, as any other Corporation or company does. Then People can choose to invest in them or not. I see no need to pay for their work with Our Tax dollars. Since nothing they invent is given back to us in exchange for our investment. I pay retail for my Velcro, but paid to have it invented, if you get my meaning.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:05 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,173 times
Quote:
Very resonable, so let me try and state my position. --It is my opinion, that any Business that is run with Tax payer money, should not be like a Country Club. If NASA is as valuable as you say, and have produced so may beneficial products, then they should be able to support themselves, as any other Corporation or company does. Then People can choose to invest in them or not. I see no need to pay for their work with Our Tax dollars. Since nothing they invent is given back to us in exchange for our investment. I pay retail for my Velcro, but paid to have it invented, if you get my meaning.

Okay, you have a good point. I understand your postion, and really can't think of anything else to say (or type).

Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Perhaps you need to read the rules for this forum:

(emphasis mine)

The bold portions are where I believe you're running all over the rules for this forum. I'm beginning to think that the moderators don't even check this forum any more.
Just a kind suggestion, why don't you go tell yer Mama a bad Man is being mean to you?? Or maybe a nice glass of warm milk, will make that queasy feeling in your stomach go away. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates