Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Very resonable, so let me try and state my position. --It is my opinion, that any Business that is run with Tax payer money, should not be like a Country Club. If NASA is as valuable as you say, and have produced so may beneficial products, then they should be able to support themselves, as any other Corporation or company does. Then People can choose to invest in them or not. I see no need to pay for their work with Our Tax dollars. Since nothing they invent is given back to us in exchange for our investment. I pay retail for my Velcro, but paid to have it invented, if you get my meaning.
I guess you did not read my earlier post were I pointed out that NASA does make money through Patents,Royalties, and Licensing agreements from all of there research and inventions. All of the money is put into the General fund. IMO If NASA had been allowed to keep and invest the money from its patents it would be self sustaining.
Also NASA is not a "Business that is run with Tax payer money" it is a government service much like The post office, The DOT,FAA,FDA,The Military etc.

bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 06:04 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,465,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I guess you did not read my earlier post were I pointed out that NASA does make money through Patents,Royalties, and Licensing agreements from all of there research and inventions. All of the money is put into the General fund. IMO If NASA had been allowed to keep and invest the money from its patents it would be self sustaining.
Also NASA is not a "Business that is run with Tax payer money" it is a government service much like The post office, The DOT,FAA,FDA,The Military etc.

bill
Then why do they need ours??--we pay for the Military and the Post office. ---I use UPS

Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 PM

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/rtrs/20091...ed-handout.jpg

This is what real thinkers come up with. and no Tax Dollars needed, or wanted. Wake up and smell the aurora.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:10 PM

31 posts, read 53,726 times
Quote:

Those don't actually work. Everyone knows there's no such thing as outer space, which is why they had to fake the moon landing.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:01 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,066,590 times
Quote:
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/rtrs/20091...ed-handout.jpg

This is what real thinkers come up with. and no Tax Dollars needed, or wanted. Wake up and smell the aurora.
You realize that that is not a orbiter, right? It can't launch satellites, it can't travel long distances. It's a very slow sounding rocket for tourists to go high in. In fact, you can pay less to get a ride on a MiG-29, go higher, go faster, and still get your astronaut wings.

Or you can ride a high-altitude balloon and get the same effect. It's a private boondoggle, basically.

NASA would never build something so useless. That WOULD be a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:07 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,066,590 times
Here's a real private launch vehicle.
After checking again, I see that SpaceX now has two successful launches under it's belt. One is a big hunk of metal, and the other is RazakSAT, a Malaysian observation satellite.

List of Falcon 1 launches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, it was DARPA and NASA who paid for the first 3 failures... but SpaceX is a private company and they do have a launcher which can put satellites into orbit.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Anybody wonder why I favor a steeply progressive income tax? Private space flight is an indulgence which the world really does not need and could use the money for far more useful things.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Anybody wonder why I favor a steeply progressive income tax? Private space flight is an indulgence which the world really does not need and could use the money for far more useful things.
Did I read this right, you want higher taxes??---sorry, nothin personal

Old 12-09-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
You realize that that is not a orbiter, right? It can't launch satellites, it can't travel long distances. It's a very slow sounding rocket for tourists to go high in. In fact, you can pay less to get a ride on a MiG-29, go higher, go faster, and still get your astronaut wings.

Or you can ride a high-altitude balloon and get the same effect. It's a private boondoggle, basically.

NASA would never build something so useless. That WOULD be a waste of taxpayer dollars.
But they have done it with out our tax payer dollars, in just a few years. give them a few more, and see what happens. while NASA keeps spending billions on that old School bus.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 PM

30 posts, read 58,570 times
What has come of all the money we have spent in all these yrs on space??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates