Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:10 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What society sees as "moral" and what's best for an individual may not be the same thing.

Everyone should act in their own best interests--sometimes that means following society's morals, sometimes that means developing your own. Society may approve of something that simply does not work for you.

I agree with this statement. I also believe that we are born with a sense of right and wrong and we make the decision to follow the path that we want to lead. Society's morals are not too good, just watch tv or just look at some of the posts on this forum. As for god, I don't know? I find it egocentric to believe we are the center of the universe and we were put here because god liked us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85
I think that's a horribly egocentric view.

I generally try and go with what I think would be the best for the larger group, not just me. If I were only looking out for me, and everyone else is only looking out for theirs, the fabric of society would break.
Charity begins at home. If your "house" is doing well and you're acting what you feel to be morally correct the love will spread.

I do believe (as a woman) that I would much rather be alive today than in biblical times. Although if I were in the middle east I would have been stoned by now, and I don't mean the good way. I'm not an expert on the bible and I've never read it, just bits and pieces and have seen movies, but it seem to me that the bible is just a story and that not everyone was all that moral (ex. king david sending that guy to his death so he could sleep with his wife).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 01:38 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
the first thing you do, if you want a group of people to go kill another group,--is to tell them "it's OK, cause God is on your side"
Non sequitar . Further, while many crimes are done in the NAME of God ... it doesnt mean they are OF God. Every person on earth knows that it is absolutely wrong to murder another in any situation, at any time, and in any country ; people still do it because they can override their moral conscience to do whatever they want whether justified in thier own mind or not. Lastly, there ARE absolute moral laws and it is most evidenced in at least 2 distinct ways :

1. What we EXPECT from others in the way we want to be treated ; that being with fairness, honesty, and integrity ALL the time in ALL situations and in ALL locations. The fact that we object when we are violated, shows that we all have , intrinsically, the Moral Law in our fibre.

2. The way we make excuses when we do something wrong , and/or, how we try to hide it so no one finds out. If we didnt have absolute moral laws as part of our makeup and only relative morality...then we wouldnt have any need to hide what we do wrong., for, it would be our opinion that it was permissable and correct to do and hence , no shame or guilt would befall us --- but alas, we try to cover up cause we know something was ABSOLUTELY wrong that we did.

These sorts of things dont come from willy nilly Materials ... they come from a Moral Law Prescriber intended for all people the same that life only comes from another life and personality only comes from another personality (a personal Being) . That person is called Creator of the Cosmos , or rightfully termed ... God.

Last edited by 007.5; 12-08-2009 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-08-2009, 01:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
abortion and capital punishment are both immoral? because they bring about the death of others?

I still support both of them.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:46 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
abortion and capital punishment are both immoral? because they bring about the death *(hence murder) of others?

I still support both of them.
Yes and Yes. If you still support them then you willfully suppress your moral conscience so you can think and act however you feel --- hardly a good compass in life ; this is what brings destruction to a Nation , when a good many of its people are apathetic and choose to depart from absolute moral laws designed and given for our protection and civility. Pattern your life after what is correct, righteous, and noble...and youll leave behind a good legacy. Regards.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
I pattern it after what brings the best result for me. And both of those bring less competition for resources.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM

31 posts, read 53,719 times
I find it hard to believe that nobody has mentioned the pineal gland in four pages. The ancients knew that morality came from consulting the pineal gland, and because of this knowledge their pineal glands were very active.

I think humans would rediscover the great extents of moral understanding if we all just learned to activate and balance our pineal glands.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Non sequitar . Further, while many crimes are done in the NAME of God ... it doesnt mean they are OF God. Every person on earth knows that it is absolutely wrong to murder another in any situation, at any time, and in any country ; people still do it because they can override their moral conscience to do whatever they want whether justified in thier own mind or not. Lastly, there ARE absolute moral laws and it is most evidenced in at least 2 distinct ways :
Then what good is religion doing if all these people who follow it don't live up to it? This is what I was getting at with my question of morals. this code has been around for thousands of years and has bred as much immorality as it has stopped. There are indeed some morals that are very close to being absolute. As humans absolutes (of concept) are pretty tricky for many reasons, especially absolutes that are concepts. Concepts can only come from and be understood by our mind. and there can never ever ever be a perfectly rounded philosophy or concept - it simply isn't in our nature.

Quote:
1. What we EXPECT from others in the way we want to be treated ; that being with fairness, honesty, and integrity ALL the time in ALL situations and in ALL locations. The fact that we object when we are violated, shows that we all have , intrinsically, the Moral Law in our fibre.
What abour people who like to be slapped around like sado-masochists? what about people who want drugs, or sex or what have you. the key word here is want. And what we want differs from person to person. when a child is in trouble they want certain treatment that isn't always the best for them. We always want to be treated with respect, but what if we haven't earned it?

Quote:
2. The way we make excuses when we do something wrong , and/or, how we try to hide it so no one finds out. If we didnt have absolute moral laws as part of our makeup and only relative morality...then we wouldnt have any need to hide what we do wrong., for, it would be our opinion that it was permissable and correct to do and hence , no shame or guilt would befall us --- but alas, we try to cover up cause we know something was ABSOLUTELY wrong that we did.
You left our pride. that's one of the largest reasons to hide a secret there ever was, maybe not as big a reason as avoiding trouble, but still pretty big. And here again. this is going to differ from person to person. two people can do the exact same wrong thing and react very differently.

Quote:
These sorts of things dont come from willy nilly Materials ... they come from a Moral Law Prescriber intended for all people the same that life only comes from another life and personality only comes from another personality (a personal Being) . That person is called Creator of the Cosmos , or rightfully termed ... God.
There was a time when old men could marry little girls and beat them for challenging their submission. Children could be stoned to death for not honoring their parents. You could rape the woman of your dreams and then purchase her from her father. These were rules handed down by this "Prescriber" and we have abandoned these norms as we have many other morals.

Now if we are to adhere to the morals set forth by this prescriber, these things would still be commonplace. Yet we have abandoned them have we not? So do you think that the disbanding of these norms has made our world a better place? this is quite the conundrum for an absolute code. If one the one hand you say yes, then you are just as guilty as the rest of us for breaking it. If you say no then I'll imagine that you lose some credibility. And given that we are dealing in absolutes there isn't much of a middle ground between yes and no.

Last edited by cleatis; 12-08-2009 at 11:06 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
My Dear departed Mom took time to show me the beauty of Life. She showed by example Her love for all things living, and that everything was joined by a "life force" she simply called God. So as I grew and learned, I had no negative to have to over come. I felt I knew my place in the world, and just naturally respected other living things, as I did myself. ---Now that I am much older, My Moms love and wisdom have never let me down. Society's rules had nothing to do with my love of my fellow Man, and everything else on Gods green earth. Rules may change, but I never do. ---corny, but true.
Yes, just as I stated earlier, social indoctrination, morality handed down one generation after another, the rules and laws which we all are taught to live by.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
I think humans adhear to things that give them the best chance to survive,no murder no stealing, if not it would be caotic.I do not think morals come from a god like entity.Do animals have a set of moral standards?I think a pack of wolves survives without morals but they seem to have their own laws.
yes wolves do have laws, laws that are brutal cruel quick violent and highly effective and provide for a highly efficient society-- 50 years ago that was us.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,213 times
Where morals come from...as the word moral is definitely a potential multi -facet word I will understand the Dictionary meaning for this post "
"principals of conduct based on distinction between right and wrong".
Is this whats being referred to with regards to its origin?
I will assume it is. How then difficult would it be to understand, no not wolves, but even a robust collection of healthy bee's in their organization to produce and maintainer the home a "principal of conduct" must be in play and must be based on a relative measure of the acceptable and non-acceptable behavior.
With this what may appear to be simple life form we see its not so simple. And yes.
a bee may choose non-conformity for selfish reasons and is dealt with harshly.
Where do morals come from asks the wonderer. They are as we see here inseparable from all life activity. I think the confusion is with the interpretation of the word "morals" . You could be in step with this query by asking,
Where did the idea come to place green and red lights at an intersection of the road ? Answer : to avoid chaos
So, then why did this question , where do morals come from, come to be ?
Possible answer, impossible to guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates