Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 PM

297 posts, read 899,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I pattern it after what brings the best result for me. And both of those bring less competition for resources.
Wow you are what Barry Schwartz in his book the paradox of choice would call a "maximizer". He claims that maximizers are not very happy people overall.
I hope you are kidding, but it doesn't look like it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes wolves do have laws, laws that are brutal cruel quick violent and highly effective and provide for a highly efficient society-- 50 years ago that was us.
That's a very once sided view of wolf society. Frankly, in many ways, they are better behaved than humans.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:27 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Does this mean that the chief can do no wrong? or is it more a "Do as I say not as I do"? situation?
I am not sure, I know leaders religious and otherwise are fallible.
The thing with powerful people is they exist in a kind of sanctum where little is known of their true behavior on the outside. They are often allowed to dictate a moral code and be above any question about their own behavior. I assume the process by which we exalt a member of our society to lead us ,weeds out the bad apples.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I am not sure, I know leaders religious and otherwise are fallible.
The thing with powerful people is they exist in a kind of sanctum where little is known of their true behavior on the outside. They are often allowed to dictate a moral code and be above any question about their own behavior. I assume the process by which we exalt a member of our society to lead us ,weeds out the bad apples.

Seems more likely to me that those who lead us consider themselves above any sort of law or moral code. They can dictate to others, but not follow it themselves.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Wow you are what Barry Schwartz in his book the paradox of choice would call a "maximizer". He claims that maximizers are not very happy people overall.
I hope you are kidding, but it doesn't look like it...
Not happy or sad, merely content. I have a pretty flat affect, pretty much emotionless.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:07 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I tried to put this in the R&P forum, but it didn't get many replies so maybe I'll try it here instead.
Morals come from the minds of men and are enshrined in religion as coming from god.

Morals cannot come from laws or government, because those are always being changed or rejected. But a god is eternal, just because a new leader rules a country, or new laws are made, the morals from "god" never change. Which is why our rights in America come from our creator, and they are natural, eternal rights of man, not of government.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:31 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Morals come from the minds of men and are enshrined in religion as coming from god.

Morals cannot come from laws or government, because those are always being changed or rejected. But a god is eternal, just because a new leader rules a country, or new laws are made, the morals from "god" never change. Which is why our rights in America come from our creator, and they are natural, eternal rights of man, not of government.
I will agree that morals are not a government product. I think that governments are a result of the values that people create in order to nurture a community.

But our rights in America have changed. As I (think at least) I said in the beginning, the only people with rights were white men. Black people were property and so on. This is the issue I am trying to bring forth. We have a situation where we shifted away from what was allegedly gods moral system. But by and large everyone enjoys these changes - even Christians. In fact, most of the people who worked to bring forth these changes were Christians. I can't think of many Christians today who agree that black people should be slaves. So do Christians think that we have set forth social decay, or the wrath of the all-mighty for disbanding slavery and treating women like people?

What I am trying to get to here is that at least some values simply have to change. If we still adhered to every Christian value I think we can all agree that we wouldn't be in a very happy place.
There are some morals such as don't kill or steal (all in all don't cause harm; treat people as you would like to be treated). But it is clearly obvious that we are better off as a human race since some of these other values have been disposed of. I honestly can't think of one single Christian who would advocate the same exact system of values that were in place in Biblical times.

So how do we differentiate the obsolete biblical values from the ones that still have relevance?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:45 PM

40 posts, read 79,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically common morals come from a common belief system of satndards. It give epople common vlaues that they all share. now days we are become more a valueless society of whatever turns you on. its leads to conflict;no satndard of conduct and division as we see. it become the self society .
I do Agree.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:24 PM

297 posts, read 899,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
What I am trying to get to here is that at least some values simply have to change. If we still adhered to every Christian value I think we can all agree that we wouldn't be in a very happy place.

So how do we differentiate the obsolete biblical values from the ones that still have relevance?
Can you explicitly name some of these biblical/Christian values you are referring to?

Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Can you explicitly name some of these biblical/Christian values you are referring to?
I don't know that the values could be named (do you mean naming the passage?), but here are a few: Full grown men could marry pre-teen girls. People could own slaves. Men could beat their wives with a stick, so long as it was no bigger around than their thumb (hence rule of thumb). Men could rape a woman then buy her from her father. Parents could stone their children to death for not honoring them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates