Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 PM

341 posts, read 678,935 times

Advertisements

The ugly side of capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 07:03 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
H&M and Wal-Mart destroy and trash unsold goods - Fashion + Beauty on Shine

What do you guys think?
Are you approving or disapproving the above?
I don't see why they can't give it to a charity and write it off as charitable giving.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
A loaf could be already 24 hrs old from the oven to start with and then add 2-4 days of shelf life and then 2-3 days in the home...not exactly a day old product.

A fresh loaf litterally could be placed in the freezer (be a month old) and a slice removed and micro thawed for the toaster . Moisture was retained thus the frehness. Try that with any (day old)? that is dry and it will be bland in taste.

Having been in the grocery trade for many yrs could tell you the ins and outs of the meat/produce/deli and of course the standard grocery items.

Like a famous commentater used to say "thats another story".
It sits in my house a couple of weeks, not days. But it is not economically feasible for me to buy a smaller loaf. I do not notice any change in quality on day 12 from day 2.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:40 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It sits in my house a couple of weeks, not days. But it is not economically feasible for me to buy a smaller loaf. I do not notice any change in quality on day 12 from day 2.
You really can't tell the difference between 2 day old bread and 12 day old bread ? I can even tell a difference in the smell. It gets a musty smell after about day five.. But the birds in the backyard don't seem to mind...

Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You really can't tell the difference between 2 day old bread and 12 day old bread ? I can even tell a difference in the smell. It gets a musty smell after about day five.. But the birds in the backyard don't seem to mind...
gotta agree !

I'm far from a picky eater, but I can't stand bread that isn't soft and fresh.

There are certain brands I avoid as they lose their freshness quicker than others.

Hot dog buns are the worst culprits. I rarely buy them because of this. Hate to open them up to insert hot dog and have them crumble apart.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I think it's wasteful, but they're well within their rights - it's their property.
Even the stuff they sell is wasteful, and pretty much worthless once you've walked out of the store with it, but that IS the bottom line.

What if someone told you that you had to store and sell your crap instead of hauling it to the dump?

Old 01-11-2010, 02:28 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
On the other hand...

I worked at a very large, very well known company for almost 25 years. They used to have what is often known as a scratch and dent type sale for employees - even had a store where imperfect things were marked way down for employees only. It was very popular. But add a few bad apples to a good thing and the good thing goes away.

The bad apples in this case were the employees that wanted a perfect product for the imperfect price. So they managed to sneak a few perfect items into the bin destined for the employee imperfect store and left a tag on it saying the color was not true throughout. Of course, shortly thereafter, they would browse through the employee store looking for it and pay the reduced price for what was a perfect item. The longer this worked, the more daring the underhanded employees became. And of course, they told other employees from other departments about it.

Soon, it was rampant between divisions and departments.

A few culprits lost their jobs but many more came along eager to cash in on the idea.

Eventually, no items went to the employee store unless it was clearly damaged with just a casual glance. Everything else was donated to charity or went into a storage facility, not to be released to the company store until inventoried. That way, the culprits never knew when their selected merchandise would show up in the store.

But that is why companies have resorted to shredding things that are unsold. It is the few, not the many, that ruin it for everyone.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Nope, all tastes the same to me.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I have heard that LL Bean gives its employees first shot at the factory seconds. Then the stuff goes to the outlet stores.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:06 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
This is nothing new. I have worked several retail jobs in the past. This was fairly common. It keeps the wheels of capitalism rolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates