Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:50 AM

324 posts, read 575,789 times

Advertisements

H&M and Wal-Mart destroy and trash unsold goods - Fashion + Beauty on Shine

What do you guys think?
Are you approving or disapproving the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:56 AM

1,589 posts, read 3,563,631 times
Its terrible. Items should be discounted until sold, or given to Goodwill, the homeless, etc. I also hope that they are more careful in the future about choosing the type of clothing they will offer for sale to ensure that it truly appeals to their customers so as to prevent this catastrophe. Its bad all around: the environment, the poor, their image, etc.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:11 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,597,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Its terrible. Items should be discounted until sold, or given to Goodwill, the homeless, etc.
exactly!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,414,658 times
I knew a girl that worked at a Dollar General Store. She told me that after the holidays, they not only threw out their older candy/snacks.....but poured bleach over them in the dumpster so they wouldn't be eaten. The reason for this is so people won't sue the company if they get sick on the older food products. Kind of makes sense.

Throwing out clothes and other products is just stupid though. If nothing else, they could donate all this to the Salvation Army or Goodwill for resale. What a complete waste!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,945,280 times
I wonder how Walmart reflects this destruction of inventory in their books. Perhaps whatever write off they get by dumping it is greater than the one they get as charitable contribution. Charitable contribution is limited in an individual's tax return so conceivably, similar laws probably apply to corporations. In their mind, it's probably to their benefit to destroy a $5 shirt rather than see the same $5 shirt being sold by Goodwill for $2. Why would anyone go to Walmart to buy it then when they can wait for it to reach Goodwill and save the $3? It is unconscionable and I'm not defending Walmart whatsoever from the morality standpoint. But from the point of view of doing business, they probably are doing what is in their best interest, as most businesses do. They may want to be good Samaritans but not to the point of hurting their own business model in the process.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:39 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,070,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I knew a girl that worked at a Dollar General Store. She told me that after the holidays, they not only threw out their older candy/snacks.....but poured bleach over them in the dumpster so they wouldn't be eaten. The reason for this is so people won't sue the company if they get sick on the older food products. Kind of makes sense.

Throwing out clothes and other products is just stupid though. If nothing else, they could donate all this to the Salvation Army or Goodwill for resale. What a complete waste!

I was in Wal-Mart one day and they were tossing cooked chickens in the trash that were 4hrs old. I was told that by law they had to toss any that were not sold within 4hrs of cooking.

I asked the lady behind the counter why they didn't reduce them and she said that they used to reduce them but the employees started reducing good chickens and purchasing them and the store was loosing money.

I asked her why they just didn't give them to the old folks homes or shelters and she said that they were sued in the past for giving them away because someone said they got sick from them.

busta

Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 PM

23,824 posts, read 24,206,934 times
I think it's wasteful, but they're well within their rights - it's their property.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:04 PM

62,208 posts, read 88,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I was in Wal-Mart one day and they were tossing cooked chickens in the trash that were 4hrs old. I was told that by law they had to toss any that were not sold within 4hrs of cooking.

I asked the lady behind the counter why they didn't reduce them and she said that they used to reduce them but the employees started reducing good chickens and purchasing them and the store was loosing money.

I asked her why they just didn't give them to the old folks homes or shelters and she said that they were sued in the past for giving them away because someone said they got sick from them.

busta
Yes, yes! I experienced the same. Went to HEB ( local grocery chain ) and saw a guy tossing good, fresh, still warm grilled chicken into the garbage. When I asked why they don't donate it to the shelter, he said that they don't want to be in trouble if someone gets sick.
But, the very same chicken was there a minute before he started to toss it out, for general public to buy! So… what’s the difference? Homeless people dig in trash to get something to eat. That kind of donation could be anonymous.
Or, why don’t they do chicken salad or sandwiches from the left over chicken?? It hurts to see how much food gets wasted here in a rich but troubled America, where many people have not enough to eat, because they lost the job, or even a house and have only little money to survive.
If they can sell a day old bread for half price, why they cannot sell older, but still perfectly edible goods for less???
There are at least 15 chickens that the guy was tossing away… now
imagine all the food, from every store, restaurant, or fast food joint at any given time…. What a concept of being savvy …..L

Old 01-08-2010, 05:21 PM

16,828 posts, read 15,246,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
H&M and Wal-Mart destroy and trash unsold goods - Fashion + Beauty on Shine

What do you guys think?
Are you approving or disapproving the above?

it is their property, and if they do not feel like giving it away, then it is up to do with the items.

I feel it would be better to discount until they sell, and then given away to some charity. but if they wish to destroy the items, that is entirely their choice.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:29 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,945,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post

busta
And it holds true for items donated to Salvation Army as well. People sue and sue and sue. I know of someone who put out an old gas grill on the sidewalk, put a "Free" sign on it, and was sued by someone who claimed it leaked gas and caused him injury. Same reason why Salvation Army would refuse to take perfectly usable mattresses (better than cardboard boxes for homeless people) so they all end up in the landfill...because people sue. People sue over donated toys, etc. etc. I've never seen so much resources go into consumerism, and so much of it go to waste. It really, really is sad at all levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates