Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
To the other poster...I dont need to give an IQ test. If you have to state that where you grew up makes you stronger you have a low IQ.
What is your evidence for this claim? What possible link is there between stating where you grew up and IQ? Hell, I'd be impressed if you could come up with even a reasonable inference supporting such a claim.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What is your evidence for this claim? What possible link is there between stating where you grew up and IQ? Hell, I'd be impressed if you could come up with even a reasonable inference supporting such a claim.
There is a very strong link between IQ and making a patently absurd statement such as "He must have a higher IQ because he grew up in the erudite city, and is therefore not a bumpkin". Like, if in the 2010 census, a city rises above a certain defining population threshold, its inhabitants suddenly become smart. Yes, there is very definitely a strong link between making such statements, and IQ.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
People from cities often think they are better & know more than others. Some think theyre bad ass & others think theyre high society. I think theyre mostly ignorant people who cant see beyond the smog infested ghettos they love so much.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
NYU, Columbia, Georgetown, Harvard, USC, UCLA, UPenn, Rice, Carnegie-Mellon, University of Washington, Washington University, University of Minnesota, University of Chicago? Your assertion is bizarre.

?
Considering that about 80% of the population lives in what are arguably "large cities", one would expect, just by pure chance, that top universities in cities would outnumber those outside cities about about 4:1. I need to see a much longer list.

By the way, how did our large cities get so large, since no bumpkins ever move from the country into the large cities to deflower the elite intellectual superiority of the teeming masses?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:29 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Considering that about 80% of the population lives in what are arguably "large cities", one would expect, just by pure chance, that top universities in cities would outnumber those outside cities about about 4:1. I need to see a much longer list.

By the way, how did our large cities get so large, since no bumpkins ever move from the country into the large cities to deflower the elite intellectual superiority of the teeming masses?

Exactly. And why if city folks are so much smarter are they often the places with the highest crime rates, biggest slums, highest unemployment etc?

From an outsiders point of view only a fool would trade quality of life for the proximity to a university.

Universities exist in cities more for logistical reasons than any other, not because cities are populated by smarter or better people.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
But why would that be if "[c]olleges were intentionally placed away from big cities, to avoid the negative urban influence"?

Quote:
I don't even know what the hell this is in reference to, so... um, OK...

Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I didnt mean to imply all people from these areas have a low IQ. I know plenty of people form these areas who have higher than average IQ's. But the ones who would rather fight things out than talk things out and the ones who have to point out they are from these areas and somehow it makes them a badass...these people have low IQ's.

Simply being from an urban neighborhood does not make you tougher. Just as what college you went to does not make you smarter.

I just love how people like to point these things out. I was raised in such and such slum... I went to such and such college. Am I supposed to be impressed? Scared? Cause Im not.

And I love the ones who say they are in a gang or where in a gang just to intimidate you. I think gangs are for wimps. Standing on your own shows strength.
Okay...so on that note, how about people who think that they're smarter and better than everyone else because they grew up in Grosse Pointe or Orange County or went to an Ivy League as opposed to a state school or (gasp) a community college?

I guess that's another thread...

Old 01-10-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
But why would that be if "[c]olleges were intentionally placed away from big cities, to avoid the negative urban influence"?
Only ten states chose to place their major central public university in one of the state's biggest cities. The rest are in places like Morgantown and Tuscaloosa and Eugene and Lawrence and Boulder.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:44 AM

And did they do this "to avoid the negative urban influence" or did they do this because land for expansive universities was cheaper, more readily available, and more accessible to other population centers? Exactly what "urban" cesspool in West Virginia were they trying to avoid by placing WVU in Morgantown?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 AM

517 posts, read 2,484,761 times
It seems that many people use superficialities to define themselves, and to compare themselves favorably to the majority. If that weren't the case, people wouldn't buy jeans and T-shirts that costs hundreds of dollars yet are made with the same materials that $30 jeans are made with.

Sadly, we are a superficial society. Saying that you're stronger, tougher, or more bad ass because of where you grew up is no different than saying how much smarter you are because you went to Ivy League, or how much important you are because of your profession or how much money you have, or how much better looking you are because of your size and shape, or basing your self esteem on what race, gender, religion, social class, sexual orientation is.

I've been exploring this idea of judgment and comparison with my students because I see how much of their self-worth is defined by their status. Its a constant struggle between wanting to fit in and wanting to stand out.

It reminds me of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs: Physiological (food, water), Safety, Love and Belonging, Esteem, and Self-Actualization. I guess wherever we are not getting our needs met is where we tend to get stuck defining ourselves. So if its Safety - maybe its how tough we are, if its Esteem its how smart or how attractive or how wealthy we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates