Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
I'm trying to like you. I like the fact that you mentor college students on how to succeed. What I don't like is the embracing of mindless stereotypes that you embrace (see earlier in the thread).
Okay, since you don't seem to be hearing me out on this, let me make it perfectly clear: I threw out that stupid stereotype as an "in your face tit-for-tat" response to the ridiculous stereotypes YankInScotland was spewing - and did so for the express purpose of exposing the idiocy of such stereotypes. Do you really think I've lived my whole life in Omaha? Or that I never leave this city? Or that I actually believe all people in the British Isles have bad teeth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
So I've had car insurance for 40 years and never had an accident. What difference does that make? I certainly wouldn't drive w/o insurance or not be without medical cover.
apples to oranges

Car insurance is mandatory in most states to protect the harm you might do to others.

Why does Obama want to force everyone to have health insurance ?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
If their healthcare is funded by tax, then no one is paying for anyone - it's a big pool of money, allocated to whoever needs it at the time. The right to healthcare doesn't need to be determined by anything, other than the need to treat the sick (rich, poor, lazy, educated, uneducated, male, female, black, white, green or even Martian). I think that's where this country differs from every other nation on earth, where healthcare is considered a right, just like education. The United States is still very backward, in that sense.
Taxes are paid by individuals, sure it is only about half the population but taxes come out of individuals own money. So some will be paying for all.

Medicare shows us that giving people unlimited access to healthcare is highly inflationary. If we do the same with everyone we will have a nation of people who act like they have daddy’s credit card. Human nature proves we need to have a stake in our spending. If not we will spend without regard to cost. Once that happens we will see massive amounts of rationing, social engineering, stigmatizing, stereotyping and potentially the majority dictating what type of people get care and what type don't.

I don't want the lifestyle police watching everything I eat, everything and everyone I do or any other thing the mob dictates.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:43 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Taxes are paid by individuals, sure it is only about half the population but taxes come out of individuals own money. So some will be paying for all.

Medicare shows us that giving people unlimited access to healthcare is highly inflationary. If we do the same with everyone we will have a nation of people who act like they have daddy’s credit card. Human nature proves we need to have a stake in our spending. If not we will spend without regard to cost. Once that happens we will see massive amounts of rationing, social engineering, stigmatizing, stereotyping and potentially the majority dictating what type of people get care and what type don't.

I don't want the lifestyle police watching everything I eat, everything and everyone I do or any other thing the mob dictates.
Reminds me what an old veterinarian said at my farm once-------" usually the farmer who tells me to spare no expense in treating his cow is the guy who stiffs me on the bill"

Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,194 times
I didnt read through the 100 posts in the middle, but I invite you all to look at this. (sorry if it's a repost)

Hospital Clínico Quirúrgico

I've been to Cuba.. Ive seen the conditions people live in. It is SAFER and CLEANER to be sick in the streets in Cuba, than to be sick in the hospitals there.. I will gladly take my capitalist American healthcare system over any other health care system any day. I will gladly pay top dollar for the best care that I can afford.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Reminds me what an old veterinarian said at my farm once-------" usually the farmer who tells me to spare no expense in treating his cow is the guy who stiffs me on the bill"
I do think that most supporters of universal healthcare never think about the unintended consequences of what they are asking for. I know their hearts are in the right place, believe me I would love to have others pay my care. I pay 1/4 of my income towards premiums and co pays right now.

But when you look at who pays taxes and what the potential for abuse of a universal system is, you can't be for it. Once the cost skyrockets and the tax payers can't take it any more they will revolt with personal life controls. Once we devolve to a majority rule system in all areas of life, those free spirits who yell for universal care will become slaves to the mob who dictates their every move.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
I didnt read through the 100 posts in the middle, but I invite you all to look at this. (sorry if it's a repost)

Hospital Clínico Quirúrgico

I've been to Cuba.. Ive seen the conditions people live in. It is SAFER and CLEANER to be sick in the streets in Cuba, than to be sick in the hospitals there.. I will gladly take my capitalist American healthcare system over any other health care system any day. I will gladly pay top dollar for the best care that I can afford.
I think you will find that those who push for government care want the best that money can buy and they want it for free. As you show, you can't have both.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 AM

The “Con” of American Hospitals « John Stossel

Another example of how government "helps" when it comes to healthcare.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:59 PM

177 posts, read 304,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The point is our Healthcare system is the best in the world. The cost of this quality is the problem.

We don't have a health care problem we have a cost problem. The choice we have is expensive top quality care for the majority or less expensive mediocre, rationed care for all.

We could have things like status change insurance to help reduce cost and we could allow cross state insurance but it won't make our cost "free". There is no such thing as free. So our choice is to we want quality or cheap?
Nothing is free! You are so right. So many, however, are willing to pay for this with their personal freedom.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
Nothing is free! You are so right. So many, however, are willing to pay for this with their personal freedom.
Not just theirs but yours and mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates