Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I am sick and tired of people who say "I am so smart, I know all the answers, and everyone else is as smart as I am, so they can go to school and become educated enough to have a job like mine".

If everybody is competent enough to be president of the United States, how come we don't have 300-million presidents? Answer: Most are too lazy and irresponsible to become president, so to hell with them, let them starve and live out in the cold.
I'm not suggesting that everyone go back to school. I'm simply suggesting that with effort, generally comes reward.

In the system I put forward, you would get a reward for your work, a home, food, and all of your basic needs meet.

For example,

I dated a girl once, who had a sister with a social disorder. All she does, is sit at a computer all day, and live in a fantasy world. Her mother wouldn't make her go out and get a job, even though she had a high school education. After so long, she has just lost any will to be normal. She doesn't bathe, she doesn't clean around the house, she just sits on her butt, plays on the computer, and with herself. Her mother enables her, as does the government. They live in government housing, get food stamps, and the whole shebang.

Thing is, her mother tried to get disability on her. However, the shrink they took her to, decided that she doesn't have that severe of a psychological problem. The problem is, she has never been forced to do anything, and she never will as long as society keeps taking care of her. Sooner or later, her mother will die, and we'll all keep paying for her to have an apartment, probably someone to clean it for her, her internet access, her food, so she can keep being a waste.

Or, she could be acclimated to work, given a choice, work or starve. Knowing her, she'd choose work. The few times I saw a line drawn in the sand for her, she did what was expected of her. However, thats few and far between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 07:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
Wouldn't it be nice if those sitting around collecting welfare really DID want jobs, but just couldn't find them?

I'd like to see people forced to do SOMETHING to collect the checks. Let's start small. Maybe those collecting welfare could "volunteer" at a soup kitchen 8 hours a week. Those with small children could be grouped together - 4 parents go in, 3 work at the soup kitchen, 1 sits in a room and watches the children.

But of course, that's probably too much to ask too.

Not everyone collecting welfare has an inability to work. Many just have the "icantwanttos" - similarly to my 7 year old. Of course, even she is capable of wiping off a table, washing dishes and keeping small children entertained for a few hours.

Many collecting welfare aren't aware that there is a better way out there and they CAN do it. FORCING them to be educated is a good option too - they should be required to take classes to collect the checks. The amounts weren't reduced by Welfare Reform, btw. But they don't get a raise every time they have another child.

The homeless are a separate problem and many can't be helped, except by brute force and heavy sedatives. But the places that employed those standards years ago were usually worse than the streets.

There is a small section of society that can be helped, but almost always falls through the cracks. They are people who either didn't have good parents or became orphans between the ages of 16-19. There are very few programs out there for them. If they don't have good friends or they didn't grow up in a neighborhood where people know how to work a government program, there's nothing out there for them and they are given very little help. They end up living on the streets, learning THAT way of life, drug addicted. But they need to be caught EARLY to be able to accept help successfully. The problem is that it's hard to tell those that truly need help from the scam artists that pervade our society and just want a handout. I "lived there" for 2 1/2 years. At one point, a welfare counselor advised me to get pregnant so that I could become eligible for help. My half brother turned to drugs - there are even fewer programs for young men.

I was lucky. I found my bio father and he was more than willing to give me a hand up - by then I was eking out a living and had signed up for a 2 year tech school. Still, my life has been immeasurably different since I finally got a good parent.

I don't have any solutions though for these people. I've tried to help several on my own, but they've all turned out to be scam artists, theives, not young folks looking for a hand up. Or maybe I just found them all too late.

Last edited by sskkc; 02-06-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

I dated a girl once, who had a sister with a social disorder. All she does, is sit at a computer all day, and live in a fantasy world. Her mother wouldn't make her go out and get a job, even though she had a high school education. After so long, she has just lost any will to be normal. She doesn't bathe, she doesn't clean around the house, she just sits on her butt, plays on the computer, and with herself. Her mother enables her, as does the government. They live in government housing, get food stamps, and the whole shebang.
If you want to pay her a wage and depend on her to come to work on time every morning and put in a productive day's work without disrupting the workplace, then please feel free to bring her into the labor force and give her a check every Friday. If you are unwilling to hire her, why do you think somebody else ought to?

Here is some general interest reading about a close parallel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debtors_prison

Last edited by jtur88; 02-06-2010 at 08:28 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
If you want to pay her a wage and depend on her to come to work on time every morning and put in a productive day's work without disrupting the workplace, then please feel free to bring her into the labor force and give her a check every Friday. If you are unwilling to hire her, why do you think somebody else ought to?

Here is some general interest reading about a close parallel:

Debtors' prison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well I don't own my own business, so I can't hire her. The business that I might have owned (auto body shop) she couldn't do that work, to detail oriented. She has worked at fast food restaurants before, she did fine there, she simply quit going. She quit going because she didn't have to go there, everything was supplied for her, without her working.

My point is, if you take away the hand outs, and only offer hand ups, wouldn't that be better?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:35 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,902 times
There is already this System in place its called State and Federal Prisons.

hillman

Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if those sitting around collecting welfare really DID want jobs, but just couldn't find them?

I'd like to see people forced to do SOMETHING to collect the checks. Let's start small. Maybe those collecting welfare could "volunteer" at a soup kitchen 8 hours a week. Those with small children could be grouped together - 4 parents go in, 3 work at the soup kitchen, 1 sits in a room and watches the children.

But of course, that's probably too much to ask too.

Not everyone collecting welfare has an inability to work. Many just have the "icantwanttos" - similarly to my 7 year old. Of course, even she is capable of wiping off a table, washing dishes and keeping small children entertained for a few hours.

Many collecting welfare aren't aware that there is a better way out there and they CAN do it. FORCING them to be educated is a good option too - they should be required to take classes to collect the checks. The amounts weren't reduced by Welfare Reform, btw. But they don't get a raise every time they have another child.

The homeless are a separate problem and many can't be helped, except by brute force and heavy sedatives. But the places that employed those standards years ago were usually worse than the streets.

There is a small section of society that can be helped, but almost always falls through the cracks. They are people who either didn't have good parents or became orphans between the ages of 16-19. There are very few programs out there for them. If they don't have good friends or they didn't grow up in a neighborhood where people know how to work a government program, there's nothing out there for them and they are given very little help. They end up living on the streets, learning THAT way of life, drug addicted. But they need to be caught EARLY to be able to accept help successfully. The problem is that it's hard to tell those that truly need help from the scam artists that pervade our society and just want a handout. I "lived there" for 2 1/2 years. At one point, a welfare counselor advised me to get pregnant so that I could become eligible for help. My half brother turned to drugs - there are even fewer programs for young men.

I was lucky. I found my bio father and he was more than willing to give me a hand up - by then I was eking out a living and had signed up for a 2 year tech school. Still, my life has been immeasurably different since I finally got a good parent.

I don't have any solutions though for these people. I've tried to help several on my own, but they've all turned out to be scam artists, theives, not young folks looking for a hand up. Or maybe I just found them all too late.
You don't understand. Society doesn't want to give them jobs. they are throwaway people.

if society cared that everybody did thier fair share, it wouldn't be capitalist and it wouldn't be based on total competition.

they would have jobs they could place everyone into but they don't.

it actually could be easy to do for most of them but the government or society doesn't want to. you'd have to ask yourself why they don't.

why aren't there cheap living facilities built with a cafeteria and jobs onsite thats suited for thier ability not available? it wouldn't cost more to taxypayers than what they already pay. it may even be more efficient use of money and less.

they have that for the blind and deaf. but they are led by the hand from point a to z. they are literally given jobs and everything is worked around thier abilities and limitations with some sensitivity. they make all kinds of things within their ability to pens to cleaning products etc. people assume that only those who are 'deaf' or 'blind' are the ones who are disabled or need total guidance. the rest are just treated as if they can fend for themself and be productive. the key is 'productive', they are like children and need it simple and organized for them.

the op's idea in general is a good one but that means taking care of these people and no one wants to do that. no one wants to take the extra thinking outside the box or sensitivity to address issues or create a society that includes these people except throw money or medication at them and at the same time pretend they can function in the extremely competitive society like everyone else. society doesn't recognize their real needs or adjust to include them. they don't know or cannot compete.

in some ways some of them may be more sane and that's why they aren't in the ratrace as it is.

i think the forcing to get education in order to collect money is a great idea. why hasn't that been implemented before? why is anything with any common sense in the world not always in place? why was star trek canceled?

why do people have jobs that are halfway around town and daycare so far away from your job? why is society so messy and unorganized? from employment to living conditions/opportunities, infrastructure, career bs etc.

understand that we live in a society that pays lip service to a sense of humanity but in reality it is a dog eat dog world. just about any employment i've had, there was more social politics and bs in keeping that job than actual work. that tells you a lot of the bs of society.

i really think that if government got more involved in tagging everyone and using employment agencies to make sure everyone was evaluated and given jobs to do according to thier ability/condition, it would help a lot.

yes, their are the degenerates that just pump out babies but that's pretty much been fixed in the welfare system and there are those who are just lazy but most people would like to have a life just like the next person. most people who are homeless are either very stupid, naive, damaged or they don't want to be a part of society for some personal reasons. a lot of them don't want to deal with the bs anymore or just gave up. i would also venture most of them do not have good families or moral support. this is a really harsh world, much harsher than what some admit or realize. unless you have family support or some source of support in this world, it's very lonely and cold. a naive or innocent person isn't going to fit into it, unless they do come from a good family. it's also often very slimy and corrupt to climb the ladder. unless, you are able to be in higher professions with more conscientious people, there is just a lot of seediness and drama even in the working world. some homeless just want to escape all that or don't know how to handle that kind of game.

Last edited by rory00; 02-07-2010 at 03:05 AM..

Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
One hell of a lot of government "welfare" is spent on the largest of corporations, I couldn't help but wonder if the OP was as indignant over corporate welfare or is it just the poor that he has trouble with?

As for John Q public's not paying the freight for the rich boys, what did we just witness recently when our government doled out our hard earned bucks to the fattest cats on Wall street? Why all the moaning about the poor? The fact of the matter is that the rich recieve much more of our tax dollars than the poor.

Rich playboys are the creation of a long standing lopsidedness in our econonmic system, our tax dollars if printed on white paper would be showing up in the hands of these playboys who eat off the public's table every day . Welfare dollars, if printed on red paper would be stuffed in the tills of the local merchants, obviously the poor don't hide their money in the Caymans, government dole goes right through the hands of the poor to the largest corporations such as Walmart.

Direct aid to the poor barely makes a dent in the US budget, most goes to the military, then the corporate boys through their tax avoidance schemes, if people weren't so indoctrinated by what they hear on radio and TV they'd know what the stats bear out, this latest feast at the taxpayers table was well attended by the rich not the poor.......

We don't have a society that satisfies everyone, but we could do better if we could just do the reading that would be required when we want to know who has their hands deepest in our pockets.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
One hell of a lot of government "welfare" is spent on the largest of corporations, I couldn't help but wonder if the OP was as indignant over corporate welfare or is it just the poor that he has trouble with?

As for John Q public's not paying the freight for the rich boys, what did we just witness recently when our government doled out our hard earned bucks to the fattest cats on Wall street? Why all the moaning about the poor? The fact of the matter is that the rich recieve much more of our tax dollars than the poor.

Rich playboys are the creation of a long standing lopsidedness in our econonmic system, our tax dollars if printed on white paper would be showing up in the hands of these playboys who eat off the public's table every day . Welfare dollars, if printed on red paper would be stuffed in the tills of the local merchants, obviously the poor don't hide their money in the Caymans, government dole goes right through the hands of the poor to the largest corporations such as Walmart.

Direct aid to the poor barely makes a dent in the US budget, most goes to the military, then the corporate boys through their tax avoidance schemes, if people weren't so indoctrinated by what they hear on radio and TV they'd know what the stats bear out, this latest feast at the taxpayers table was well attended by the rich not the poor.......

We don't have a society that satisfies everyone, but we could do better if we could just do the reading that would be required when we want to know who has their hands deepest in our pockets.
What exactly do you mean by corporate welfare? Government subsidies, or things of that nature? I believe those should be removed, or reworked in a better way.

However, at least corporations serve a public interest, by creating jobs, or money flow. Welfare recipients aren't doing anything for society, except living off of our tax dollars. They give nothing back, nothing. I'd rather get something for my investment.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

However, at least corporations serve a public interest, by creating jobs, or money flow. Welfare recipients aren't doing anything for society, except living off of our tax dollars. They give nothing back, nothing. I'd rather get something for my investment.
Oh, I get it. If you give a man a check this Friday for working, he spends that money and it goes back into the economy and makes America stronger, creating jobs and money flow. But if you give a man a welfare check this Friday, he just throws it down the toilet and disappears forever and there is no residual benefit from it.

Let's kick start the economy by hiring 5-million telemarketers to phone everybody and tell them to spend money. Do you think that will work? After all, salesmen are all "productively" employed, aren't they? Creating "money flow? Isn't that what it is all about? You mail me a check for $1,000, and I'll mail you a check for $1,000. Money flow. We just increased the GDP.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Oh, I get it. If you give a man a check this Friday for working, he spends that money and it goes back into the economy and makes America stronger, creating jobs and money flow. But if you give a man a welfare check this Friday, he just throws it down the toilet and disappears forever and there is no residual benefit from it.

Let's kick start the economy by hiring 5-million telemarketers to phone everybody and tell them to spend money. Do you think that will work? After all, salesmen are all "productively" employed, aren't they? Creating "money flow? Isn't that what it is all about? You mail me a check for $1,000, and I'll mail you a check for $1,000. Money flow. We just increased the GDP.
No, but the man that you give a paycheck to on Friday, put a service back into the system to earn his money.

The Welfare guy, just took my money, that I would have spent on something for me, and put in the economy, and did nothing to receive it.

The corporations are at least giving something back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates