Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

It depends on the sate law really. In Texas for example the person having sex with a under age male/female must be more tha two years old in consent sex for it to be rape. But if the perosn is a juvenile him.herslef then it a juvenile record and sealed at 18 years of age. It can only be opened with a judges order and no perosn is allowed in the court and no picture even is allowed outside the juvenile record which is maintain in a juvenile area .That is unless the person is certified as a adult by a judge;the the are tried as a adult and standard pracatices apply.The results of a 16 uear old convisted of rape of a 13 year oild;the consequences are spelled out in law clearly and not unintended at all.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:02 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Americans are the most sex-crazed people in the world. Especially the ones who think sex is a terrible evil thing, and the most important thing in the world is to punish people for having sexual thoughts. The only thing they think about is how terrible sex is, and how important it is to destroy the lives of people who do not share their own opinions about sex.
I agree. Sex is so demonized here. There is so much negative stigma and shame associated with it. It makes no sense whatsoever, and in my opinion leads to higher sexual crime rates.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Who's 15? Are you talking about the boy mentioned in the OP? He's 16, not 15. Jturr, the person I was talking to, is not 15.
Oh, goodness, yes that year makes all the difference in the world!!

Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,417,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think this post has the best approach to look at these kinds of things.
Is a 18 year old and a 15 or even a 14 year old girl dating worth sending someone to jail over? Is a 16 and 13 year old girl?
Where is the line here? Was someone hurt? Was she drunk, how about him?
Common sense laws are what we need. Somewhere, someone decided that these things should be black and white, when most of the time there is a grey area that we need to base our decision on. Some mother, somewhere got upset because her 13 year old daughter had consensual sex with someone 4 years older than her.
These matters should be taken on a case by case basis, and thats it. Some people aren't going to be happy with the decision thats rendered. Sorry dad, your daughter had sex at 14, should have raised her better. Now, if she was molested by a 30 year old man, then there is something that needs to be done about that.
I completely and totally agree with this. These laws can be wielded like weapons by family members who are unhappy with the behavior of their teenage children, destroying lives in the process. Are these "unintended" consequences? I don't know. The laws weren't written to allow for nuance and flexibility, examination of intent and circumstance. And why not? Because of the Puritanical belief that sex under some specific age is inherently a crime.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:16 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,242,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
I completely and totally agree with this. These laws can be wielded like weapons by family members who are unhappy with the behavior of their teenage children, destroying lives in the process. Are these "unintended" consequences? I don't know. The laws weren't written to allow for nuance and flexibility, examination of intent and circumstance. And why not? Because of the Puritanical belief that sex under some specific age is inherently a crime.
When Ricky's case was being tried, the law regarding conviction changed litterally moments before his hearing. He was required to register as a sex offender for 20 years.

The wonderful thing about laws is that they can be changed.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, goodness, yes that year makes all the difference in the world!!
When dealing with statutory rape laws, it might. Many states have "Romeo and Juliet" laws that allow consensual activity between teens as long as they are not more than a given number of years apart or not younger than a certain age.

I've talked to my daughter about sex since she was about eight and started asking. We've spoken about pregnancy, disease, and reputation as well as legality. We'll speak to our son when he is older.

I said I was a reasonable parent, and I am. If I learn that my daughter had sex with a boy, my first reaction is not going to be to call the cops. It will depend on the situation. But kids need to know that THIS HAPPENS. My daughter knows very well that she is not allowed to associate with boys much older than she is. My son will know that he better not mess around with younger girls because some hothead parent might get him arrested.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Quote:
Again, there are no laws against thinking whatever you like about my daughter. You can think about robbing banks or blowing up buildings or kidnapping people or anything you please. Doing those things is what's illegal. Keep your normal and natural hands off my daughter.

I'm a reasonable parent and would think very carefully about what to do if a 16-year-old had sex with my daughter. What I argued with was your statement that you can be punished for sexual thoughts. You cannot.
Quote:
When dealing with statutory rape laws, it might. Many states have "Romeo and Juliet" laws that allow consensual activity between teens as long as they are not more than a given number of years apart or not younger than a certain age.

I've talked to my daughter about sex since she was about eight and started asking. We've spoken about pregnancy, disease, and reputation as well as legality. We'll speak to our son when he is older.

I said I was a reasonable parent, and I am. If I learn that my daughter had sex with a boy, my first reaction is not going to be to call the cops. It will depend on the situation. But kids need to know that THIS HAPPENS. My daughter knows very well that she is not allowed to associate with boys much older than she is. My son will know that he better not mess around with younger girls because some hothead parent might get him arrested.
Say your daughter is 14 and she has sex, for whatever reason, with a boy who is 16. Is that punishable in your eyes? After all, telling a child of that age that she cannot associate with boys 16 does not always work.

Now say your son is 16. He has sex with a 14 year old girlfriend who he believes he is in love with. Again, telling him doesn't make much difference when it comes to teenage sexuality and desire. Or worse, he keeps her a secret from you because you have told him.

Anyway, the parents of the girl finds out and wants to press charges against your son. You love him and know he was acting out of love himself. You know he respects girls and maybe think the girl is who pressured him into having sex in the first place (which may or may not be true).

What is the difference there? Does it make a difference when it's a daughter as opposed to a son? Parents love their sons as they do their daughters. They want to protect them. They want others to understand that sometimes kids have sex, right or wrong.

Unless it's forced rape by the boy, it shouldn't be punishable through the courts. Unless it can be PROVED it was rape.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Say your daughter is 14 and she has sex, for whatever reason, with a boy who is 16. Is that punishable in your eyes? After all, telling a child of that age that she cannot associate with boys 16 does not always work.
Like I said, it depends on the situation and the boy. If he is her boyfriend and treats her well, I would probably just talk to his parents, talk to them, and figure out what to do. I was 14 once and remember what it was like. I also remember what 16-year-old boys were like ... some of them do take advantage.

Quote:
Now say your son is 16. He has sex with a 14 year old girlfriend who he believes he is in love with. Again, telling him doesn't make much difference when it comes to teenage sexuality and desire. Or worse, he keeps her a secret from you because you have told him.

Anyway, the parents of the girl finds out and wants to press charges against your son. You love him and know he was acting out of love himself. You know he respects girls and maybe think the girl is who pressured him into having sex in the first place (which may or may not be true).
Of course I would side with my son, but that doesn't make much difference, does it? If he has sex with a girl young enough to get him in trouble, bad things can happen. Bad things can happen anyway. I don't want his 14-year-old girlfriend serving ME with child support papers either. This is all part of the talk my daughter has had and my son will have.

Quote:
What is the difference there? Does it make a difference when it's a daughter as opposed to a son? Parents love their sons as they do their daughters. They want to protect them. They want others to understand that sometimes kids have sex, right or wrong.

Unless it's forced rape by the boy, it shouldn't be punishable through the courts. Unless it can be PROVED it was rape.
Statutory rape is rape that occurred when one party was unable to give consent due to age. I don't think that these laws need to be scrapped altogether. A friend of mine lost her virginity at 12 to an 18-year-old boy. Most parents would not be okay with that, even if she wanted it. My own cousin had a 19-year-old boyfriend when she was 11. I don't know if they were having sex, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Romeo and Juliet laws recognize that kids do foolish things and aren't necessarily predators. I think this is the right tactic.

I live in Illinois, and according to this site, here are the laws for my state:

Statutory Rape Laws by State
  • Aggravated sexual assault for sexual penetration by an offender under age 17 with a victim under age 9.(Six to 30 years in prison)
  • Predatory criminal sexual assault of a child for sexual penetration by an offender age 17 or older and a victim under 13.(Six to 30 years in prison)
  • Criminal sexual abuse is sexual penetration with (1) an offender under age 17 and a victim between ages 9 and 17 or (2) a victim between ages 13 and 17 and an offender less than five years older. (Up to one year in prison)
  • Aggravated criminal sexual abuse is sexual penetration with a victim between age 13 and 17 by an offender at least five years older. (Three to seven years in prison)
Look at that third bullet. Up to one year in prison even if he is 17 and she is 16. Not much leniency there. My son will know this.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am amused by the fuss created by "under age" sex. Teen age humans have been copulating with each other for millennia. Only our puritanical and prudish laws have made it illegal. Teach the kids the problems that sex can cause as well as the pleasure it offers. Maybe telling them about the pleasure part will be redundant. They have probably figured that out already. I wonder what would have happened it this case involved a 16 year old girl seducing (heck asking) an 13 year old boy.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Americans are the most sex-crazed people in the world. Especially the ones who think sex is a terrible evil thing, and the most important thing in the world is to punish people for having sexual thoughts. The only thing they think about is how terrible sex is, and how important it is to destroy the lives of people who do not share their own opinions about sex.
Sex is a beautiful thing that the Creator himself offers to mankind...but its when sex crazed Americans distort it and pervert it for their own narcisstic gain and of course for monetary gain ; then we see how terrible the outcome is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates