Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,913,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverr420 View Post
I think its a great feat. to finally legalize one of Americas Number1 cash Crop.
We will see a significant turn-around in the California Economics. And if the other 12 states that have it legilized on a medical level follow. But the bible belt well be the hardest to conveince. stubbern, hard headed.

And I'm honestly glad we are. But, I would love to see it legalized or atleast decriminalized. It will be long time before it will be legalized in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 10:02 PM

7 posts, read 6,452 times
Well if majority votes yes ... what could Fed's do arrest whole Ca population ? Yea rite if state say ye they'll loose not any funding too prosocute an majorty of populations ligit vote ...Who'll pay...State? Feds where they get the money the people..

Old 10-17-2010, 09:20 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORCALBUILT View Post
Well if majority votes yes ... what could Fed's do arrest whole Ca population ? Yea rite if state say ye they'll loose not any funding too prosocute an majorty of populations ligit vote ...Who'll pay...State? Feds where they get the money the people..
They can arrest any distribution points. However, I seriously doubt the feds are really going to push hard to regulate all of this stuff. I know they are talking big, but its an election year. There will be a few high profile busts, but most folks will go unharassed by most federal entities.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,842 times
I envision the legalization of pot eventually following a certain path...

• StarBongs, a chain of gourmet Amsterdam-type "coffeehouses", will spring up around the country.
  • You'll see large grower-supply stores appearing, along the lines of Lowes (maybe called "Growes"), complete with weekly sales circulars in the Sunday papers
  • The deep South, instead of fighting the phenomenon in a futile effort to preserve their tobacco cash-crop, will jump on the band-wagon and ultimately grow some of the finest weed available - Dixie Doobie. Just, this time, please - don't add all that crap like you did with the cigs.
  • Since pot can be grown in any fashion, from seeds tossed along the roadside to big-bucks indoor grow-rooms, you'll see a wide spectrum of potencies and prices available - might even have the generic brands available for those who want to save money, as well as the custom designer labels
  • The US will begin to return, at least slightly, to an agricultural basis, exporting their crops and harvesting big dollars (and a better international reputation) in return. We'll have a greater appreciation for the Earth.
  • People will mellow out, crime rates will drop (ever try to rob a bank or steal a car when you're stoned?), divorces will plummet (too busy getting it on to argue).
  • The fine arts will explode - painting, dance, music, poetry - all will benefit from the increased aesthetic awareness that pot gives
  • Small-business will also get a shot in the arm - custom bong crafters, stash designers, black-light poster designers and lava-lamp artisans will experience a Renaissance.
Come on, Cally - don't let us down!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:02 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times
Let's smoke it! Let's tax it! And let's smoke it some more!

Enough of this pious BS regarding marijuana.

Sure, as with booze, there will be those who will abuse the substance to the point of not being able to go to work some day. There will be those who will suffer from short term memory loss. But, so what? As with booze, the individual is ultimately responsible for her/his amount of consumption, and to comply with laws which prohibit driving while under the influence, etc.

I myself DO NOT intend to become a habitual consumer of the stuff for now. I currently have way too many responsibilities to abuse of pot or booze. Maybe I'll try it upon retirement when my work and personal responsibilities have diminished. Until such time, I will simply be a "second hand smoker" as I watch others light up and chill out.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
[*]You'll see large grower-supply stores appearing, along the lines of Lowes (maybe called "Growes"),
Don't forget 'Home DePot'

Old 10-17-2010, 04:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
The most effectiver way for the feds to enforce the federal law would be for them to deny federal funds to California if it takes any taxes or does not show compliance with teh federal laws. They do this all the time. Obama can let things go but he is going to change the federal law and be president that long.Persoanlly I could careless because its in California but they need to not ask for help when the Cartel moves into the market.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,146 times
Default Time to wake up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The most effectiver way for the feds to enforce the federal law would be for them to deny federal funds to California if it takes any taxes or does not show compliance with teh federal laws. They do this all the time. Obama can let things go but he is going to change the federal law and be president that long.Persoanlly I could careless because its in California but they need to not ask for help when the Cartel moves into the market.
The Mexican Cartels are already in the California market, in fact they are growing cannabis in California forests. I guess there must be a news blackout where you are because this has been well documented in the press. One of the things legalization may do is force the Cartels out of California, as the local growers expand (not that they couldn't continue their operations in the other states).

If the Feds deny California federal funds then California will do what its done before, not send federal taxes collected in California to the Feds. Two can play that game.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,531 times
Much ado about nothing.......California's law enforcement system may now be free to get back to regular law enforcement instead of chasing the street corner dealers all over the LA basin. I couldn't help but note that some of the most vocal supporters of "freedom" don't want the real thing, just their own brand of law. Seems like we'd all be better off if we were to put our collective energies into minding our own business, those that don't agree with the Cali proposition should just sit back and pour themselves a big glass of their favorite drug and relax.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,945 times
What I find interesting here is that in California, the Feds won't enforce the illegal alien laws yet when it comes to marijuana, they get their underwear in a twist. No consistencey there which shows the Federal government for the hypocrites they are in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates