Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:35 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,840,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Spoken like a true capitalist. The stupider people are, the more fun it is to get them to make my sailboat payments for me. It's not for me to moralize---mainly because I have no morals.
You asked me to reply to your statements and all I get in return is an insult worthy of a 3rd grader? Talk about a bad gamble.

You take the fact that I disagree with you and then, lacking any additional thought process, you decide that I must be a "BIG, BAD CAPITALIST" who cares nothing about people. You don't know ANYTHING about me other than the fact that I don't make assumptions that people are stupid when their choices don't mirror my own. And, I don't know ANYTHING about you other than you do.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:58 AM

749 posts, read 2,443,459 times
I don't think folks that play it are stupid, if your only spending a few bucks a week on it. I mean, if your going to look at it that way a lot of things could be classified as stupid like going and spending $20 for breakfast at a resteraunt for a family of 4 when you could stay home and make it for $5.

The ridiculous odds are for the grand prize but there are still other prizes to win. For instance my state's lotto has a multiplier feature where for another $1 you get extra money so 2 weeks in a row I got 3/6 and got $27 each time and had $6 bucks tied up in it total. It's entertainment that's all.

If your banking on it to fund your retirement or spending all the mortgage and electric bill money on it, that's stupid, otherwise it's just harmless entertainment.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:16 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,651,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
They say if you don't play you can't win. Spent most my life not playing. Odds of winning the Powerball are 1:195,000,000 That's pretty bad. But people do win. Recently I have decided to buy a couple tickets a week. I used to be the guy who would say "Why don't you just set your money on fire?" Yeah I know, it's a big farce, but it sure is fun to think about hitting those magical numbers
What are some of your thoughts on the lottery?
Anyone think it's rigged? If so, how?
I think it becomes an addiction at some point or another. It's unhealthy. My dad has been playing the lotto since before I was born. That is why I don't dabble with that or any other form of gambling. I fear I will be addicted as well.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,385,263 times
I only spend 2 pounds a week and occasionally will add 1.50 for Euromillions. So that's only 8-10 pounds a month, something I can well afford. Lottery money helped build my gym. And it also helps pay for arts and music and many other good causes.

It's a problem when someone like one of my relatives who can ill afford it spends a fortune on lottery tickets. He feels sure that if he buys enough tickets he will win.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,158,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You asked me to reply to your statements and all I get in return is an insult worthy of a 3rd grader? Talk about a bad gamble.

You take the fact that I disagree with you and then, lacking any additional thought process, you decide that I must be a "BIG, BAD CAPITALIST" who cares nothing about people. You don't know ANYTHING about me other than the fact that I don't make assumptions that people are stupid when their choices don't mirror my own. And, I don't know ANYTHING about you other than you do.
The only thing I said about YOU is that you made a statement that is right out of the capitalist playbook. I know nothing about you, and I care to know even less. I remarked only on your stated position on one narrow topic.

When I describe someone as stupid, it is not a loaded value judgment, and it not moralizing. There is nothing immoral about being stupid. But it is immoral for the non-stupid to exploit the stupid instead of helping them, since they are disabled.

So, if you embrace a social policy that depends on the stupid to pay so you won't have to, then I think you would be immoral. And moralizing is not useful. You can no more teach an immoral person to be moral, than you can teach a stupid person to be smart. It's a condition of birth.

It's an interesting social condition, that. A large part of humanity is hopelessly stupid, and a large part is hopelessly immoral, and nothing can be done about either. The immoral exploit the stupid, which impedes civilization from advancing any further down the path of enlightenment.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-30-2010 at 08:49 AM..

Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,701,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
They say if you don't play you can't win.
I say if you dont play you cant lose. Wate of money. Your odds of winning the lotto are just as good if you dont play than if you do play. You may get lucky and find the winning lotto ticket on the ground for free.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:08 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,840,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The only thing I said about YOU is that you made a statement that is right out of the capitalist playbook. I know nothing about you, and I care to know even less. I remarked only on your stated position on one narrow topic.

When I describe someone as stupid, it is not a loaded value judgment, and it not moralizing. There is nothing immoral about being stupid. But it is immoral for the non-stupid to exploit the stupid instead of helping them, since they are disabled.

So, if you embrace a social policy that depends on the stupid to pay so you won't have to, then I think you would be immoral. And moralizing is not useful. You can no more teach an immoral person to be moral, than you can teach a stupid person to be smart. It's a condition of birth.

It's an interesting social condition, that. A large part of the population is hopelessly stupid, and a large part is hopelessly immoral, and nothing can be done about either. The immoral exploit the stupid, which impedes civilization from advancing any further down the path of enlightenment.
Of course it's a loaded value judgement!

Your judgement goes as follows:

I (jtur88) believe that the lottery is a suckers game that only the stupid play.

My beliefs (since I (jtur88) am clearly superior in intellect and morality) are undeniably correct.

Therefore, anyone who plays the lottery is stupid since my beliefs are always correct (refer to my previously stated superiority for confirmation, if needed).

And furthermore, since I (jtur88) am so clearly superior both intellectually and morally, then anyone who disagrees with me is immoral, stupid or most likely both. (And a Capitalist to boot cause we all know that anyone who holds opinions contrary to those held by me (jtur88) is clearly an immoral people hating Capitalist.)

Ooops.... don't look now, your superiority complex is showing.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,893,508 times
I figure I am contributing to the delinquency of politicians by supporting education outside of a fair taxation system. Besides I might actually win (I am still in the black for the last two years) the big bucks and become a really annoying politician or just drop out as completely as possible. More than likely the latter.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,158,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Of course it's a loaded value judgement!

Your judgement goes as follows:

I (jtur88) believe that the lottery is a suckers game that only the stupid play.

My beliefs (since I (jtur88) am clearly superior in intellect and morality) are undeniably correct.

Therefore, anyone who plays the lottery is stupid since my beliefs are always correct (refer to my previously stated superiority for confirmation, if needed).

And furthermore, since I (jtur88) am so clearly superior both intellectually and morally, then anyone who disagrees with me is immoral, stupid or most likely both. (And a Capitalist to boot cause we all know that anyone who holds opinions contrary to those held by me (jtur88) is clearly an immoral people hating Capitalist.)

Ooops.... don't look now, your superiority complex is showing.
I'm sorry I did not state that YOUR views are undeniably correct. After all, the purpose of this forum is not to express our own imperfect views, but to applaud your perfect ones. That's in the TOS, isn't it? I hope the moderators don't ban me for expressing my views instead of yours.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,662,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think it becomes an addiction at some point or another. It's unhealthy. My dad has been playing the lotto since before I was born. That is why I don't dabble with that or any other form of gambling. I fear I will be addicted as well.
It certainly does become unhealthy when it starts to become an obsession. But open up a newspaper; in today's society, people just don't want to take responsibility for their actions. If you happen to be among the (steadily shrinking) part of the population that is still responsible, playing the lottery shouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.